Power steering fluid type for Myvi

deroll

Feb 24, 2014
Selangor
The manual does not say what type of power steering fluid is used. Is it dexron III (same as ATF)?

And where is the fuel filter located. Its not stated in the manual as well and searching online didn't give me any easy answers. If its in the fuel tank like many newer cars, I'll give this diy job a miss.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Dexron III for the power steering and the fuel filter is located right next to the firewall. Just trace the fuel line to the filter

deroll

Feb 24, 2014
Selangor
Whats the original colour of the PS fluid? From the outside, the reserve tank looks dark greenish but the fluid looks pale yellowish when I drew some out on a tissue. Maybe the dye fell out of solution. Would there be an issue mixing in some new red dexronIII?

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia

deroll

Feb 24, 2014
Selangor
You must be really naive.

FLUSH THAT SHIT.
If you google myvi engine compartment and take a look at the steering fluid tank, they look dark from the outside. So its not an automatic cause for alarm. Some power steering fluid is yellowish/amber which looks like what I've got now, which is why I'd like to know what the original colour was.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
The fact that you think the possibility of the "dye fell out of solution" is laughable. Still, I applaud you for taking the effort to find out.

deroll

Feb 24, 2014
Selangor
The fact that you think the possibility of the "dye fell out of solution" is laughable. Still, I applaud you for taking the effort to find out.
Do you happen to know the answer to my questions? Like the original colour of the PS fluid?

Dyes can fall out of solution, perhaps you don't know that.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Do you happen to know the answer to my questions? Like the original colour of the PS fluid?

Not sure what Myvi uses for PS fluid, but all my 3 cars PS fluid is red....:driver:

deroll

Feb 24, 2014
Selangor
Mine is green or blue.
Yep, theres a dark green-blue colour looking from the outside of the reserve tank but the dye seems to have dropped off after 8yrs on the Myvi and now it looks dark yellow. I guess its time to flush it.

deroll

Feb 24, 2014
Selangor
Dexron III for the power steering and the fuel filter is located right next to the firewall. Just trace the fuel line to the filter
It seems that shops don't sell fuel filters and it is integrated into the pump. A quick google for the Sirion says thats the case also.
But after having a look, I saw something that could be a filter. Anyone know what it is?

Attachments

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia

Oh wow, of course I know it can "fall out of solution". I also know engine oil can turn to sludge. Its called failure. if you were a effing genius you won't be asking here right?

The point where "dye fall out of solution" is when it has failed. Coolants, ATF fluids, brake fluids all have dyes for a reason. To let you spot leakages, and also to serve as a visual warning if you do not stick to maintenance schedules to let you know its time to change that shit.

deroll

Feb 24, 2014
Selangor
I did not claim to be a know all in my posts. Power steering fluid generally have very long change intervals and some last as long as the 'lifetime' of the car. The Myvi doesn't state a change interval which probably means a very long or 'lifetime' interval at which point a colour change from the dye dropping is possible but not cause for panic if its not dirty. I noticed that the ps fluid on mine is not sludgy or dark and dirty so I still have time to change it along with other maintenance work.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
so I still have time to change it along with other maintenance work.
If you already made a conclusion based on your own observation then why the fuck are you asking people on a public forum?

Being an asshat or a troll? Yeah mods please close this thread cause its obvious he's trolling.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Actually, apart from ixeo's crude response, I think he has a point.

Deroll, you obviously know your stuff. Why do you post newbie-like questions if you know the answers? The same applies to your other threads too

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

WapCar Interview: "Why is Zerotohundred racing in a Toyota Vios?"

WapCar, Malaysia's newest car buying website met up with yours truly to understand better, the thrill and spills competing in the Toyota Gazoo Racing Festival with...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience