perodua-myvi-rear-axle-snapped

acbc

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
KD
Most likely the MyVI was not designed for hardcore driving...

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ
There are too many "maybe"s in this case to pass judgement. It's not a stock car and there has been quite a lot of mods done to that car. It could be anything from, sloppy installation of mods to a defective part somewhere.

Calz83

Known Member
Apr 29, 2005
Ipoh/KL
Is not mod for drift lerr...!!!
If not mistaken the rear axle, suspension n etc is not mod to fit drifting guahhh..!!!
Maybe MyVi is for Drag instead of Drift lerr...!!!

Just my 2cent....!!!!

koolspyda

2,000 RPM
May 6, 2004
KayEl
koolspyda.blogspot.com
>I am no automotive expert<

i had the liberty to see/inspect first hand.(close visual inspection after the incident).

as a fellow gymkhana auto enthusiast, my opinion> if I'm going to use semi slicks & a modified struts/coilcovers for my car ; I WILL look into adding ADDITIONAL lower member braces to strengthen the load & stress the car will be put into. thats me. semi slick can put in even higher loads into even the car's structural chassis over stock tyres (higher G's).

I think i have a fair idea where it buckled but i reserve my judgment to highlight the cause of the MYVI.

it could have happened to ANY car

Calz83

Known Member
Apr 29, 2005
Ipoh/KL
Fluffy said:
it wasnt drifting. it was in the autocross.
Aii.... U have the point...!!!
But it might not designed for autocross as well guahhh....!!!!
What went wrong if everything from this Myvi is mod for autocross....??
Die ballz.....!!!:smile:

3R1C

'(00) Super Moderator
Nov 18, 2003
Kelate/Penang
3R1C-MY.Blogspot.com
I agree with that. Using Semi/Slick tires without further modification to strengten will just break the suspension and chasis easily. The amount of stress increased tremendously when using slick.

evo3

1,500 RPM
Jul 2, 2004
Visit site
that Myvi is mod for autocross lo... not our daily driven Myvi and look how the driver thrash the Myvi....

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
can mod for autocross la... do some extra spotweld to the chassis... make it more rigid lar... anything also can do geh if u have the will...

boggysv

2,000 RPM
Sep 7, 2004
koolspyda said:
it could have happened to ANY car
yup. even some audis have cracked their rear subframe when a stiff rear arb is installed. later found out they needed a strengthening bracket.

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ
Ok, when you break an Audi's subframe, you know you've been seriously rough with it...haha...

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ
Anyway, cars like all other engineering products are designed and built to certain tolerance levels. They don't needlessly over-engineer everything. The tolerances are set according to the type of car, how it is going to be used and what sort of punishment it will go through in daily use. You can be sure cars like the Myvi aren't built for throwing around a track. Necessary precaution have to be taken if you want to do it anyway. Car's that are supposed to be sporty on the other hand would probably have been over engineered in certain areas, as are real off-roaders.

koolspyda

2,000 RPM
May 6, 2004
KayEl
koolspyda.blogspot.com
well said.

proper sports cars = engineered to withstand typical sports car usage.

proper 4X4 = engineered to withstand typical 4X4 car usage. so on & forth..

slap in a high horse power engine into modified ricer cars proton/civic etc & when you see news that a car splits into 2 in not uncommon on our malaysian news

even exotic cars go kapow... see other thread of mine on Enzo spit in crash...

i digress...

a lot of people will use that incident to put down MYVi for whatever reasons. If anyone feels more secure choosing korean, japanese, conti's, proton over it....it their prerogative

if one chooses to partake in autocrossed, racing, drifting; one MUST look into aspects where most original spec'ed saloon cars AREN'T made / meant for such ultra vigorous driving .

if you do ; precaution is required. safety first. ALL safety aspects

Last edited:

jombiee

500 RPM
Feb 7, 2005
Ghombau
its really a good info for newbiees out there, so theres a lot to take into considerations before ur into any hardcore events, dont think that only you can afford a slick tyre & a coilover with a powderfull powerplant are enough, so think again. better do some research.

but my old saga gone through 13 yrs off road thrashing includes those days in SAMP still going strong though.....

cheers

faisal

1,500 RPM
Oct 20, 2004
The Valley
ignition.my
The Perodua RADMOS (R And D Motorports) prepared MyVi that entered Time Attack was fitted with

1) Stiffly sprung Coilvover dampers - as opposed to the std softer set up.
2) Sticky 15" Silverstone FTZRR Semi slicks ( way grippier tha OE tires)

The rear beam axle mounts are very miniscule. All The loading from the above mods caused exessive stress onto the axle mounts and the rear axle itself.
Naturally something had to give.

koolspyda

2,000 RPM
May 6, 2004
KayEl
koolspyda.blogspot.com
faisal said:
The Perodua RADMOS (R And D Motorports) prepared MyVi that entered Time Attack was fitted with

1) Stiffly sprung Coilvover dampers - as opposed to the std softer set up.
2) Sticky 15" Silverstone FTZRR Semi slicks ( way grippier tha OE tires)

The rear beam axle mounts are very miniscule. All The loading from the above mods caused exessive stress onto the axle mounts and the rear axle itself.
Naturally something had to give.
BEEEP ! point awarded.

(more bonus points at stake); why didnt the test car be fitted WITH additional lower member braces? There were a couple of mounting points (not used) that i saw that could allay such untoward embarassment. The local SSO is not regimented to strict classification where (ie. classification for only stock class entry; modified etc)
so no laws (unlike overseas classification entries) to restrict bracings.
stock rear beam axle mounts is :mouth_closed: :shocked: :shocked: :mouth_closed:

Last edited:

TOE PECK

Banned
Oct 29, 2005
this myvi sucks...ive seen countless wira satrias,civic etc2 with japs stiff shockers and semi slick tyres..none have gone like this myvi...anyway manufactures must test their cars at least to 1g cornering...why this myvi fails?do they expect the public not to modify it?if this is true then i deemed this car unsafe cos knowing malaysians..sure they modify it with shockers and such..

koolspyda

2,000 RPM
May 6, 2004
KayEl
koolspyda.blogspot.com
re read faisal post.

modify all they want but modify all aspects in regards to safety too. something i notice most modders esp beginers dont.

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ
When you mod, it is your fault.

They don't build cars to be idiot-proof.

If it breaks in stock condition, then blame them.

For example, if you decide to stick a bit fat turbo onto the engine and boost it to the high heavens, if the engine blows, who's fault is it? It is also the same with overclocking your CPU. If it overheats and burns, its your fault.

Last edited:

koolspyda

2,000 RPM
May 6, 2004
KayEl
koolspyda.blogspot.com
si|verfish said:
When you mod, it is your fault.

They don't build cars to be idiot-proof.

If it breaks in stock condition, then blame them.
coming back to my post of engineered to the car's potential & userbility

sports cars = engineered to withstand typical sports car usage.

a mazda miata is a lightweight sportcar which is gem on the road (driven) & a great autocrosser. To sustain it to a usage in running off road rallies/ 4X4 terrains will definately see it sustained a lot of damage on joints & create high stress on areas that werent designed for it.

coming back to a small ecobox car designed for daily road use ~ it will do 99.9% of the time.

to track it autocrossing well....(written in earlier post)

but ecobox car isnt miata nor miata isnt a subaru STi.

actually, the title of thread needs to changed, i dont remember seeing rear axel snapped , rear member cross beam was twisted severely~acknowledged

the snapped parts (see hosted picture) were;
aftermarket the struts *boyaa*, cross beam mounting joint *boyaa*, drivers pride *boyaa*:embaressed_smile:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Many many many many moons ago we corrceted and protect this humungos monster

after a clean clean bath

now u see

now you see even more

more to see now...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience