Oil starvation

adian

Known Member
Nov 22, 2003
PJ
www.the-yeins.com
Fellas...

I did the UluYam-Batang Kali-Genting run last weekend, first time I'm doing it in my Tezza. And I noticed something alarming: I drift all the corners towards the top bouncing on the limiter in 2nd gear (mine's a 5AT), and when I check the oil pressure gauge as I do so, it drops down to 1/4.

Backing off, I stopped drifting and instead just whacked the corners in grip mode, the assumption being that perhaps the sideways action plus high-rpm could be causing it. But it doesn't change anything, oil pressure still drops. Onthe straights, it comes back up.

This means that the 3S-GE is suffering oil starvation on high-G cornering loads! I find this incredible. This only really happens with old tech engines, and by and large is eradicated from modern Japanese engines from the 90s onwards.

I suppose this is exacerbated by the fact that our BEAMS engine requires a lot of oil volume and pressure to run the VVTi at full chat. But still, I'm quite incredulous.

So my question is, do you guys suffer the same thing?? Don't tell me I'm going to have to baffle my sump just to enjoy Sunday drives and track days. Any feedback on this is appreciated.

/adian

cuscostrutbrace

500 RPM
Jul 10, 2004
Hmm,i never see the oil press gauge while cornering,maybe i should look at it after this..and agreed it does need a good oil press to keep the VVTi running,as most engine with cam phasing/cam changing technology.

Bump: Hmm,i never see the oil press gauge while cornering,maybe i should look at it after this..and agreed it does need a good oil press to keep the VVTi running,as most engine with cam phasing/cam changing technology.

cuscostrutbrace

500 RPM
Jul 10, 2004
Watched the oil press gauge during some fast cornering left and right,it doesnt seem to drop at all.

koolspyda

2,000 RPM
May 6, 2004
KayEl
koolspyda.blogspot.com
Fellas...

I did the UluYam-Batang Kali-Genting run last weekend, first time I'm doing it in my Tezza. And I noticed something alarming: I drift all the corners towards the top bouncing on the limiter in 2nd gear (mine's a 5AT), and when I check the oil pressure gauge as I do so, it drops down to 1/4.

Backing off, I stopped drifting and instead just whacked the corners in grip mode, the assumption being that perhaps the sideways action plus high-rpm could be causing it. But it doesn't change anything, oil pressure still drops. Onthe straights, it comes back up.

This means that the 3S-GE is suffering oil starvation on high-G cornering loads! I find this incredible. This only really happens with old tech engines, and by and large is eradicated from modern Japanese engines from the 90s onwards.

I suppose this is exacerbated by the fact that our BEAMS engine requires a lot of oil volume and pressure to run the VVTi at full chat. But still, I'm quite incredulous.

So my question is, do you guys suffer the same thing?? Don't tell me I'm going to have to baffle my sump just to enjoy Sunday drives and track days. Any feedback on this is appreciated.

/adian
sure your 'sunday drive' is like ordinary people's sunday drive adian ? :biggrin:
circumstantial :biggrin:

not certain on 3SGE engine, the 2zz in occasions has a trouble spot with oil pump gear.
(for no reason we dont know why the stock 2zz sump isnt baffled. 1zz is)

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hai member2 ZTH.. Saya telah kehilangan kereta Proton Wira warna putih, plat: WMP 2211, pada 18/1/10, hilang di kawasan Wangsa Maju Seksyen 10..jika ternampak kereta ini, sila bagitau sy atau report kepada polis..sini sy sertakan no hp sy..0129516712..disini sy sertakan gmbar kereta sy yg terbaru..
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience