noobie's intercooler + piping questions

VexRed

Known Member
Oct 1, 2005
www.hksusa.com
alo!

noobie here n i have a few questions regarding intercooler + piping... anyways i have a stock front mount evo i/c (plus stock evo i/c piping) so i jus wanted 2 ask does upgrading to a bigger front mount increase pick-up or top speed?? i have upgraded my turbo to a bigger one so the boost comes in a bit later rpm btw. pretty much what i'm looking for is a general overall increase in performance lor.

so my question is (1) upgrading to a bigger front mount i/c increase HP / pick-up / or top speed?? i have heard many variations of this answer from all different ppl with different views n opinions on this. One fren said worse pick-up, cooler intake charge so better at high boost, another mentioned better pick-up and increase in HP...

(2) what about piping?? does it play a role in performance increase? if i were 2 custom make shorter (but fatter) piping does it make a difference? what about the material of the piping - which is best? (stainless st, normal stock 'black' metal piping, or the aluminium?) any other materials that can be considered? can anyone pls recommend cheapo shops 2 do piping / welding / i/c work? some of the high class well-known shops are slightly out of my price-range (such as in sunway).

hope to hear replies from all the turbo ppl here, cos i'm quite new 2 all this turbo stuff. thanks!

VexRed

Known Member
Oct 1, 2005
www.hksusa.com
i actually posted this quite awhile ago but somehow it didn't 'come out and be shown' in the main forum. i guess maybe some technical problem lor with the site etc. sorry about this if i have posted the same thing twice admin. thank u.

white_bird

500 RPM
Jul 9, 2005
puchong
for the performance, it depends on the IC size, piping width, the "piping bents"... so the results r different.. mayb both GSR with same IC but different piping width/length will giv different result.. it may take longer time to reach full boost or mayb the same..
but 1 thing for sure.. it will look nicer :P n better cooling ofcoz.. so u can whack it even in the hotdays ~~ keke..
juz my lil 2 cent (n my xperience as well)

VexRed

Known Member
Oct 1, 2005
www.hksusa.com
white_bird said:
for the performance, it depends on the IC size, piping width, the "piping bents"... so the results r different.. mayb both GSR with same IC but different piping width/length will giv different result.. it may take longer time to reach full boost or mayb the same..
but 1 thing for sure.. it will look nicer :P n better cooling ofcoz.. so u can whack it even in the hotdays ~~ keke..
juz my lil 2 cent (n my xperience as well)
hey white,

thanks for replying. anyways basically what you're trying to tell me is that getting a properly 'tuned-length' IC piping results in better performance correct? and ya la definitely will look better no doubt. my stock one goes to japan and america before reaching my intake hehe! anyone else got opinions and can help me out here? how about materials to make IC piping? does that make alot difference?

S.W.Yap

Known Member
Aug 26, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
bigger intercooler will give you longer spool time,but better cooling effect so good for high boost,top speed . Shorted piping give you better respone , because it take faster time to fill up the whole piping/int.cooler system. Bear in mind bigger cooler and piping will result in pressure drop , so your max. boost will reduce a bit lah .

VexRed

Known Member
Oct 1, 2005
www.hksusa.com
S.W.Yap said:
bigger intercooler will give you longer spool time,but better cooling effect so good for high boost,top speed . Shorted piping give you better respone , because it take faster time to fill up the whole piping/int.cooler system. Bear in mind bigger cooler and piping will result in pressure drop , so your max. boost will reduce a bit lah .

hi yap,

thanks for the advice... what does 'SPOOL time' mean?? does that mean the time taken for turbo to spin full/max or wat? so would i be correct to say my intercooler shouldn't be so big either? to be honest i don't know whether my intercooler (or piping) is just ngam ngam or too small?? if this helps i run a 25G turbo cooled by a stock evo front mount with stock (normal black metal) path evo piping with normal black rubber hoses and stuff. my thinking was something like this, the stock evo front mount was designed to cool the stock evo td05 turbokits so that's why i thought if i upgrade my turbo already to aftermarket don't i need to upgrade cooling system? that's why i'm in a dilemma and i've not received a 100% definite answer even from reputed mechanics.

some of them told me confirmed need to buy bigger aftermarket chiller and re-do piping to shorter fatter stainless steel or aluminium, some said this current stock i/c setup is more than sufficient (one claimed it's good up to 400/500HP!) really true? oh and one more thing, so if i upgrade to bigger front mount and piping then my peak boost drops? meaning i up the boost more to compensate for 'lost max boost' or... aiyo i'm also lost la hehehehe! pls help...

alvin24

3,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
This is an often mistaken concept... that upgrading the intercooler will give u more power... it doesn't... changing to a bigger turbine or boosting higher in your existing turbine that which will require a bigger intercooler would... in other words, the intercooler 'itself' does not give u horse power.

If you understand how turbo works... then you'll know that the intercooler is sort of like a 'support tool' for the turbo... the BEST is of course if u do not have an intercooler at all... but unfortunately, u'll blow ur engine before you know it because the air going in is too hot... the purpose of the intercooler is to cool the air up to an optimum level where the air is as cool as possible, while not disrupting the flow as much as possible... so obviously, there's always an 'optimum sized' intercooler for each engine/turbine/boost setup.

Last edited:

SR20VE

Known Member
Mar 9, 2006
any suggestion on what size of intercooler piping should be ideal for this engine below?base of your experience?

4G63T evo 1,2,3 stock

4G63T VR4 stock

4G93T GSR with VR4 IC else stock

owndferra

Known Member
Aug 24, 2006
jb
any suggestion on what size of intercooler piping should be ideal for this engine below?base of your experience?

4G63T evo 1,2,3 stock

4G63T VR4 stock

4G93T GSR with VR4 IC else stock
anyone knows the good intercooler piping for evo2 stock turbo.. 2" from turbo to intercooler then 2.5" from intercooler to TB,is it ok?
or 2" all the way from turbo to intercooler then to TB..

Any suggestion??

WonderBoy

1,500 RPM
Apr 14, 2005
key ell
Well..stock factory setting already calculated e optimum size n length fer e stock engine bro..
N those highly upgraded evos in rally scene oso still using e stock intercooler n pipings..
So u do e maths :burnout:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Guys,

What benefit can I gain if I go to short air ram ?
What is the pro and con? can share here? Thanks
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience