Lost only car remote, how?

TheDuckster

Known Member
Jun 18, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
forum.lowyat.net
Hi there, long time since i disappeared.

Came back with issue: i lost my spare car remote. Is there a DIY for programming a new remote, or any recommendations for a shop that can do that for below 200? Or have to change to a new alarm? If really have to, any recommendations for aftermarket alarm?
Help much appreciated. :bawling:

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
For ordinary car like proton......just change the whole set, i.e remotes, alarms system. Won't cost a bomb. Can be installed easily at acc. shops.

For recent conti car, like merc, Audi, etc.....this should be solved at the authorised centre. Bring lots of money along.
A fren of mine lost his ori (one and only remote) for his new Fiat. A new set of remote would cost him Rm900.00. Believe it?

TheDuckster

Known Member
Jun 18, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
forum.lowyat.net
For ordinary car like proton......just change the whole set, i.e remotes, alarms system. Won't cost a bomb. Can be installed easily at acc. shops.

For recent conti car, like merc, Audi, etc.....this should be solved at the authorised centre. Bring lots of money along.
A fren of mine lost his ori (one and only remote) for his new Fiat. A new set of remote would cost him Rm900.00. Believe it?
it's a secondhand Hyundai, so idk which one applies. :hmmmm:

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Suggest you to go for the 1st option. Simple set will be about 100 to 150 ringgit range.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Can go to lock smith. Those that does car alarm remote. They can clone one for you, since you still have the other set......

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Can go to lock smith. Those that does car alarm remote. They can clone one for you, since you still have the other set......
yeah that is right, if you still have a ori remote...have it cloned to another new remote. This can be done at car locksmith.

But if both ori remote gone, then have to install a new alarm set. Or use car key to lock the doors (can't activate car security alarm)

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
yeah that is right, if you still have a ori remote...have it cloned to another new remote. This can be done at car locksmith.

But if both ori remote gone, then have to install a new alarm set. Or use car key to lock the doors (can't activate car security alarm)
Last time my accessory shop guy can even tune my remote to the alarm, but that time was Cobra alarm that came with the car I bought second hand. Not sure if those OEM alarm can do that or not....:rolleyes:

TheDuckster

Known Member
Jun 18, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
forum.lowyat.net
Suggest you to go for the 1st option. Simple set will be about 100 to 150 ringgit range.
Nearest Hyundai service centre said it's over 400, and nearest acc. shop have 300+ for alarm systems, so i dunno which other shop to go to. Any acc. shop/ Hyundai service centre recommendations? all i need is lock, unlock, and mute or unmute :s:

spare car remote, that is the only one. and it's the ori alarm :-;

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Nearest Hyundai service centre said it's over 400, and nearest acc. shop have 300+ for alarm systems, so i dunno which other shop to go to. Any acc. shop/ Hyundai service centre recommendations? all i need is lock, unlock, and mute or unmute :s:

spare car remote, that is the only one. and it's the ori alarm :-;
Without the spare, I am not sure if they can do it......:smokin:

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
if not mistaken most stock basic alarm system have a relearn node for new remote but not all shop kbows how to do it.
i know this as my sis kenari has the function and its written in the owners manual how to do it.

aftermarket alarm price for a basic reliable steelmate start as low as rm100.

TheDuckster

Known Member
Jun 18, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
forum.lowyat.net
If your i10 has an immobiliser, then it's better to go back to Hyundai for the fob.
there should be no immobiliser if im still driving it with a handmade key...but then again, there is a flashing light beside what looks like a good spot for a push-start button. so i'm not sure

if not mistaken most stock basic alarm system have a relearn node for new remote but not all shop kbows how to do it.
i know this as my sis kenari has the function and its written in the owners manual how to do it.

aftermarket alarm price for a basic reliable steelmate start as low as rm100.
i really hope this thing does, im digging out the manual

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I don't know about Hyundai, but for Toyota and Nissan, it only recognises 2 sets of key fobs. There's a sequence to enable the alarm learning mode, the manual should advise. Buying the key fob won't be cheap, for Toyota I got it for 160, came with free programming which didn't quite work out because the instructions the shop used was outdated and I had to whip out the manual to figure it out myself to help the shop, so the owner gave me another 10 bucks off.

Mind you - it will render the missing key fob useless. Just remember to change the door keyhole otherwise it'll still be a risk unless you're sure it's 'missing' at home and not anywhere else.

But to tell you the truth, I've seen a lock smith replace the whole key system for an Estima in 10 minutes. With new keys and all even when the car had lost ALL their keys. Keys and immobilisers are just for show man.

parakey

1,000 RPM
Apr 30, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
This is a long shot. I was wondering why the car had only one keyfob. Was this a second hand car? Some cars which were previously repossessed come with only one fob. I wonder if contacting the previous owner may help.

TheDuckster

Known Member
Jun 18, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
forum.lowyat.net
I don't know about Hyundai, but for Toyota and Nissan, it only recognises 2 sets of key fobs. There's a sequence to enable the alarm learning mode, the manual should advise. Buying the key fob won't be cheap, for Toyota I got it for 160, came with free programming which didn't quite work out because the instructions the shop used was outdated and I had to whip out the manual to figure it out myself to help the shop, so the owner gave me another 10 bucks off.

Mind you - it will render the missing key fob useless. Just remember to change the door keyhole otherwise it'll still be a risk unless you're sure it's 'missing' at home and not anywhere else.

But to tell you the truth, I've seen a lock smith replace the whole key system for an Estima in 10 minutes. With new keys and all even when the car had lost ALL their keys. Keys and immobilisers are just for show man.
This is a long shot. I was wondering why the car had only one keyfob. Was this a second hand car? Some cars which were previously repossessed come with only one fob. I wonder if contacting the previous owner may help.
So right now, is it more advisable to get a new OEM or aftermarket alarm system? coz i already stated above that this is a secondhand Hyundai, and the fob i had was the second one: previous owner lost the main one. I really hope that it can recognize a third one or i'm able to reset the current system, coz it should be cheaper if so.

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

F1 may arguably be the top dog of motorsports in terms of technology, with much of it trickling its way into modern cars of today, and an F1 car has always been the highlight of motoring enthusiasts, with one person in particular - Ruf Blacklock, who has delightfully compressed the way F1 cars have evolved over a period of 62 years, into 60 seconds.

<!--more-->From in-line 8...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience