Journey of my conversion

wideawake

Known Member
Hi guys,
I just want to share with you my story...

As I have mentioned in a few threads before this, I have an old 1984 Nissan Laurel C31. It's actually my mother's, but since nobody is driving it anymore, I decided to make it my project car.

On 8th June 2004, thanks to a tip from bowden, a fellow forummer, I put down money to book an R32 Skyline halfcut. It was in good condition (at least it looks like it). Hey, I wonder what would an RB20DET in this car feel like. I decided to do the conversion with the halfcut shops workshop. At least, any faulty parts I can easily replace it.

The next day, I called a tow truck to tow my car to the workshop. The tow truck guy made a mistake when preparing to tow, and my car banged head on into the back of the tow truck. Thanks to Nissan inginuity, only the license plate broke. If it was a Proton, I'll be looking for a new bumper by now.

By noon, my car was in front of the workshop... I thought my car was gonna be next to be worked on, but damn... there was a long queue in place.

Every 2-3 days, I will drive infront of the shop to see if they have started on my car or not.... but still, I see it untouched in front of the shop. Sometimes I don't even bother stopping if I see it still parked up front.

2 weeks passed by, and nothing was done. Last Saturday, I dropped by just to talk with the halfcut shop owner... The wife said by monday or tuesday they will start work. The previous week they did 5 conversions....

As unpatient as I am, I made a drive-by again on Monday during lunch time... Still it was untouched. Today after work, I went to the w/shop, and thank god... they already started. The old engine is out, and by tomorrow I think they should proceed with something else...

3 weeks aa waiting time... Well, I'm a bit dissappointed, but that's okay. I'm don't need the car that urgent. Hopefully it will complete by the end of this week. Bowden said they can transplant a GSR or VR4 in 2 days tops!!! That's damn fast...

When the car was towed, I noticed a few things...
1. I need new tyres...
2. I need new suspensions...

And I need them before I go for Puspakom inspection. Btw, the last road tax expired in 2002, so I think there are some extra checks that they will do to. That one no problem, I think I'll get a runner to do it, since I have no time.

Of course, even though the conversion has not finished, I already have future plans for it:

1. Install the front 4-pot brakes (hopefully get a set of rims that can fit)
2. Get a rear axle with LSD and 2 pot brakes
3. Get some custom bodykits.
4. Paint the car black (VIP style) muahahaha.....

Thanks for reading. I'll be updating this thread as it goes along. Below are some pictures of the car and the halfcut that I bought. I forgot to take pictures of the car without the engine this evening... damn..

Erm, and any suggestions, comments appreciated... thanks.

All the best in your project. Can't wait to see the finish.
Hope everything turns your way. Dori dori ! ^_^

Bro..

SALUTE...
doing it step by step was a fullest satisfaction...
cant wait to see the masterpiece of urs..
Btw i pass by an LaurelC31 halfcut wif
fierce outlook which come with RB20DET
at Chan Sow Lin halfcut shop....
U might wanna check out the bodykit...
Met one of the kind last nite..
Black.. 2piece 17" rim....
Wallauwehhhh.... fall in love edi..
'love at the 1st site' laa...
All the best bro ... n pls keep on
update the progress of ur project..
I'll b #1 'kaki sebok' to know..
heheeheheheh...

~take k mike

man i love these "old warhorse with new heart" conversions....

best of luck....keep us updated!

bro

u want blow off valve? hehehe.. i got BLITZ blow off valve comes with original blitz piping. all i want is your piping (the elbow after the intercooler) +RM250.

wanna see? it's on my car now. reason for selling, i'm waiting for another blow off valve coming from australia (my friend gonna bring it back next month).

so if u want, u can PM me aa.

Topui,
wait lar... transplant also not finished yet...

30 June 2004
I dropped by the shop after work. Looks like nothing was done to my car today... It's still on the lifting machine(dunno what it's called). The Wira that the engine bay was empty yesterday is nearly finished. I think I'll start to make daily visits to see the progress....

i think you better hang around everyday.. just drop by every other day.. so push them abit.. if not some very lazy and take ur for granted.. ! :)
ehh can take a side photo and rear photo of ur car ? chheers... :) gluck :)

Three weeks is ok lar. Someone's car have been in the workshop for more than 15 months I think...

Zee,
Picture of the rear.

MrNismo,
15 months? Aiseh... touchwood man... hopefully they finish ASAP lar...

Aiyark... today tak sempat singgah to the workshop... I was busy at customer's site until 8.30pm. Friday after work must go there...

2 July 2004

I dropped by the w/shop today after work. The engine was already in the car!!! Well, got progress aaa...

The funny thing is, last time I went, the chopshop owner was babbling something about have to redo the mount lah... to weld lah... but when I spoke to the mechanic, he said the mounting is exactly the same.... Which I already expected...

After that, went to see some wheels that a forummer was selling... Will go to the w/shop again tomorrow to see if the wheels will fit the 4-pot calipers. The wheel has 4 and 5 hole patterns. Not that I want to install the 4-pots immediately, but goot to have a rim that will suport it right......

Attached is the image...

3rd July 2004 - Morning

Went as early as 10am to the w/shop today. Minimal progress since yesterday. That's okay, since my intentions was to take back all the other stuff from the halfcut. Stuff including the dashboard, 4-pot brakes, steering and the brake pump.

First thing the guy from the halfcut told me, "dashboard mana muat Satria bang...", then he looked into the car, "eh.. besar jugak satria ni ye.. macam honda..."

Attached is the picture from the rear of the Satria... The single tyre + rim I borrowed from a forummer to test if it fits the 4-pot brakes...

3rd July 2004 - Afternoon

After taking the stuff, I proceeded to a chopshop in Chan Sow Lin that Pogo aka Atangcore said there was a Laurel nice looking front-end. But later on found out that it was a C33 front-clip.

After that, with all the stuff full in the car, I went to Mid Valley!!! To see Dreamcarsasia lah.... one thing I noticed, the event was full of Skylines, Subarus and Supras....

Attached are some nice pictures I managed to snap...

"Yikes.... my top is falling off...."

While everyone is busy taking pictures from the front, I got one from the rear....

I noticed Blackie was also running to get some pics with the chicks.... Sorry blackie, wanted to tegur you but segan lah...

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom