E36 318i or a new Myvi

thanx mr fred, jovi and jeff...
good idea fred to purchase 2nd car like myvi 1 year old....

and jovi, i dont think i would replace the bmw engin...
got experience modi2 bike when i was a teenager, the cost really ate me up...
then sold my modi bike, bought a 2nd hand bike...

it was duirng my studies, i bought a ten year old 150 cc 2 stroke bike (tzm)
and i realize that many parts need to change....
each time service, need to change parts....
so cost me min rm250 service for every 4 to 5 month...
got once kena rm800 service for that bike coz some major parts need to be replaced...

so now goin to start working...
income hopefully to increase more la compared to masa study...

but still cannot decide wether to choose the E36 318i or the myvi...

i love the bmw very much..
but some of the cons bout bmw, had made the myvi another option...:Not_Impressed:

My opinion :

Performance wise (power to weight) = Myvi
maintenance = Myvi
FC = Myvi

Overall = Myvi.

ok bro.. go for a MYVI 100% u wont regret.. bmw will give problem after 5 years.. trust me.. im not saying bmw is no good but basically ithappen to all bmw and one more factor is malaysia weather.. the rubber cant stand the heat over here.. 318 have no power... what about e36 model.. an e36 328 lose pick up to a e46 318

fred.. bmw 5 yr old is good la if u can find a good one... once reach 10 yr old only become need to replace a few parts and thats normal for wear and tear..i hv no idea y u say 318 no power.. and u saying 328 lose pickup to 318 is even more unbelievable.. r u sure u drive the correct car?

"There is no replacement for displacement".

318 e36 is very powerful.. and let alone 318 also is powerful car.. my guess the car u tested is not in tip top condtiion. but pls dont say 318 is not powerful and giving the wrong information across the forum.

i give u the numbers, n u do your own math.

here are specs of 318..
Weight 1145 kg
Displacement 1796 cc
Max Output 113.0 bhp @ 5500rpm

P/W Ratio: 98.689

and spec of 328
Weight 1477 kg
Displacement 2793 cc
Max Power 193.0 bhp @ 5500rpm

P/W Ratio: 130.670

and, aja.. u said power to weight myvi winsss???? R U SERIOUSS???? please do calculation before typing that.

spec of myvi 1.3
Weight 985 kg
Displacement 1298 cc
Max Power 86.0 bhp @ 6000rpm

P/W Ratio: 87.309

Bigger number of P/W ratio means better pickup.

fred.. bmw 5 yr old is good la if u can find a good one... once reach 10 yr old only become need to replace a few parts and thats normal for wear and tear..i hv no idea y u say 318 no power.. and u saying 328 lose pickup to 318 is even more unbelievable.. r u sure u drive the correct car?

"There is no replacement for displacement".

318 e36 is very powerful.. and let alone 318 also is powerful car.. my guess the car u tested is not in tip top condtiion. but pls dont say 318 is not powerful and giving the wrong information across the forum.

i give u the numbers, n u do your own math.

here are specs of 318..
Weight 1145 kg
Displacement 1796 cc
Max Output 113.0 bhp @ 5500rpm

P/W Ratio: 98.689

and spec of 328
Weight 1477 kg
Displacement 2793 cc
Max Power 193.0 bhp @ 5500rpm

P/W Ratio: 130.670

and, aja.. u said power to weight myvi winsss???? R U SERIOUSS???? please do calculation before typing that.

spec of myvi 1.3
Weight 985 kg
Displacement 1298 cc
Max Power 86.0 bhp @ 6000rpm

P/W Ratio: 87.309

Bigger number of P/W ratio means better pickup.

I'm pretty sure what i said. Don't forget the actual whp on the road and wear & tear items for >10 years old car. Sometimes on paper calculation do not really means!

Don't forget also the torque curve and the effects of gearing.

Small, light cars get off the line bloody well.

we all want to Drive and Cruise in Style with big horsepower monsters that look and feel good..
but the question is " ARE YOU WILLING TO PAY?"
if yes,
take the bimmer

If No,
take the MYvi..

I'm pretty sure what i said. Don't forget the actual whp on the road and wear & tear items for >10 years old car. Sometimes on paper calculation do not really means!

for a 10 yr old well maintained beemer will still able to smoke a brand new 1.3 myvi. believe me. yes, calculation does not mean 100%, but it give the rough idea and almost 70% correct... if u dont believe me, can arrange for drag race with my fren 11 yr old stock 318i against any brand new stock myvi. :_:

thats my point - that if u want a 10 yr old 318, must find a well maintained one.
since the price is not far off from a brand new myvi. and not to mention, stability
of myvi when running 200km/h.. my fren's beemer 11 yr old 318 able to reach 210km/h with no problem. can a myvi 1.3 stock reach that speed with high stability?
i doubt it fren.:shades_smile:

for a 10 yr old well maintained beemer will still able to smoke a brand new 1.3 myvi. believe me. yes, calculation does not mean 100%, but it give the rough idea and almost 70% correct... if u dont believe me, can arrange for drag race with my fren 11 yr old stock 318i against any brand new stock myvi. :_:

thats my point - that if u want a 10 yr old 318, must find a well maintained one.
since the price is not far off from a brand new myvi. and not to mention, stability
of myvi when running 200km/h.. my fren's beemer 11 yr old 318 able to reach 210km/h with no problem. can a myvi 1.3 stock reach that speed with high stability?
i doubt it fren.:shades_smile:

hehehe. Old car E46 318i 8 cylinder can do 210 kmh EASILY kah?. U must be kidding!!. If like that better i sold off my Evo & Vtec euroR and buy 318i lor.

I used and always to high speed cruising >200kmh with my cars and believe me even E36/E46 325 not that kind of EASY to reach 210kmh! Are u really sure with your statement?. Do u drive Beemer 1?

hehehe. Old car E46 318i 8 cylinder can do 210 kmh EASILY kah?. U must be kidding!!. If like that better i sold off my Evo & Vtec euroR and buy 318i lor.

I used and always to high speed cruising >200kmh with my cars and believe me even E36/E46 325 not that kind of EASY to reach 210kmh! Are u really sure with your statement?. Do u drive Beemer 1?

dude chill, he said able. he didnt say how long LOL

like everyone who said like what Djmobile said earlier, go for the beemer if you have the cash. but TS just starting his first job, the feasible car would be the myvi.

/thread.

dude chill, he said able. he didnt say how long LOL

like everyone who said like what Djmobile said earlier, go for the beemer if you have the cash. but TS just starting his first job, the feasible car would be the myvi.

/thread.

hahaha. Yer la, "able" not "easily". It's ok but i still doubt that 318 able to reach that kind of speed..no matter how long the stretch it will be. Nothing much to expect from 8 cylinder engine!.

If we notice, that y second batch of E46 318 badged as 320.means with 2.0cc engine ..no more 1.8cc engine.

E36 318i can reach about 190kmh i think.. not a problem.. 210 sounds abit optimistic.. i'm not sure

dino... i dont know y u guys look down to e36 318.

210km/h fairly easy.. so long as u have the balls...
and as i said, if u 318 is well maintained. unless ur at gb
is slipping, then u wont even reach 180.

Gen2 1.6 limit also 200++km/h.

heck my city easily do 180km/h. and mine is AT 1.5 only.
personal record.

No. You are the one who is kidding. U drive evo so u look down at beemer?

those cars u mention 325 not EASY to reach 210 is bcos they dont have balls and dont want to race with u larrr. most of beemer drivers love their cars very much and wont put the metal to the pedal...

but i mention particularly E36. But E46 have same ability i no doubt. I do not have beemer, but i have been inside my fren beemer 318i E36 (11 yr old), stock, but very well maintained, just overhauled GB, others tip top condition.. and we are crusing in PLUS NS hiway at 210km/h max.

and then a Gen2 came cucuk us. im not bluffing. that gen2 got something else under the hood.. i doubt its campro..

Last edited:
damn it.. better we dont continue argue in here... hijack other people thread pulak.. sorri aaa matasura.. or something..

No. You are the one who is kidding. U drive evo so u look down at beemer?

those cars u mention 325 not EASY to reach 210 is bcos they dont have balls and dont want to race with u larrr. most of beemer drivers love their cars very much and wont put the metal to the pedal...

but i mention particularly E36. But E46 have same ability i no doubt. I do not have beemer, but i have been inside my fren beemer 318i E36 (11 yr old), stock, but very well maintained, just overhauled GB, others tip top condition.. and we are crusing in PLUS NS hiway at 210km/h max.

and then a Gen2 came cucuk us. im not bluffing. that gen2 got something else under the hood.. i doubt its campro..

Sometimes arguments are needed to clarify things more obvious to others....like this case it's relevant to buy >11 yeaars old e36 318i or need extra and lots of $$$$ to refurbish it, as compared to buy a new Myvi 1.3!. Mind to share with us how much your friend already spent of $$$ to refurbished everything for his 318i?. Suppose to overhault the gearbox will need much $$$!. hehehe

A Beemer owner not really sayang their car, in fact. If not, sure they will drive slow2 one. FYI, i very2 rare to see BMW hway cruising at lower speed. I used to high speeding at LPT with a new E60 530i with my Accord EuroR. Our average speed that time was around 210-230kmh.! Got hphone video on that also (taken by my wife).

It's nothing impress or so call so impress driving fast cars cause to tell u the truth, Wiraevo, Kancils also a fast car!!. Looking down to other car make is not the subject here. Same goes to your City...as you claimed that your City can EASILY do 180kmh, then i got nothing to say la...cause what i felt from my 220ps H22A 2.2cc DOHV Vtec Accord EuroR to get to 180kmh consider lambat also!!. Unless your City is 2xxps or something inside!. hehehe

er the issue here is not about the top speed, but rather how long it takes to reach the top speed.

its all ambiguous. 180km/h would be scary fast for some but fkin slow to some people. get it ?

Anyways back to the topic, if you really got some extra cash and some patiences get the BMW, its a much more fun car to drive around.. But I would remind you, not matter how careful you try to be, you are buying a second hand car.. For that matter if it still has a chance of coming with some unwanted problems, so only buy if u have the means to spend some extra cash

waa...
so many info bout the e36 318i...
give me mo info...

it seems that if wanna get that bm car, should look carefully, either it is well maintained or not...

love al those opinions..
thanks!

i apologize for taking over this thread...

yea point aside, i could reach 180km/h fairly EASILY. i think we have different meaning of "EASY".. my EASY meaning is can reach 180km/h from 0 in less than 40secs la.. if a 1.5 can do that.. wat more a 1.8 beemer.. right? acceleration is quite good for 318i. of course if u compare it to a evo, bye bye la the beemer.

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom