DIY car

Low cost, less work and durability is the target. Design and plan well. Hahah! I wanted to do a buggy also using electric motor. I have designed it in CAD Catia but sure fail because not enough experience in the real world.

SkYwAlKeR said:
in oversea, it is possible... i got a friend DIY a drag car.... i mean not build from scratch la... he bought a chassis from a lelong company.... then sendiri transplant engine inside.... buy suspension parts and axles from halfcut shop... all DIY sendiri... he is a real sifooo..... respect...

respect!!!!

ehaab said:
KIT CARS... they are considered DIY cars..u buy each part and make it urself..
it is nearly impossible to build from scratch..

Here's my plan. I have a friend who can weld and do metal fabrication. He will help me do the tubular chassis. Then, I'll probably get a FF halfcut and mount the engine behind the driver so it becomes RR. The gearshift mechanism have to be fabricated of course and the pedals too. For the steering, I will get a steering rack from a chop shop and mount it on. Simple or is there something I'm missing?

ken12292703 said:
A mechanical engineer is needed for it. An electrical engineer is important as well. That's why electical, electronics and mechanical always comes together.

For the chasis,

applied statics
applied dynamics
cad/cam
properties of materials
strength of materials
engineering design
theory of machines
mechanical vibrations

Aerodynamic's wise,

Fluid mechanics
Fluid dynamics
Thermodynamics

Most of all, experiences on hands on machines and stuff. Electrical parts? I don't know. Sad sad.

well maybe I won't focus so much on aerodynamics cause this car will be mainly about acceleration and handling.

I'm taking a diploma in mechanical engineering but I don't think the stuff that I learnt would be of much help. So in terms of safety, I'm going for an overspec chassis.

imoloq said:
Here's my plan. I have a friend who can weld and do metal fabrication. He will help me do the tubular chassis. Then, I'll probably get a FF halfcut and mount the engine behind the driver so it becomes RR. The gearshift mechanism have to be fabricated of course and the pedals too. For the steering, I will get a steering rack from a chop shop and mount it on. Simple or is there something I'm missing?

bad idea.

:retarded:

best to start from scratch. It's better, stronger too.

you still can use the original subframes tho :Not_Impressed:
that'll be very useful for custom fabrication.
That's what i learnt.

of course, as you progress, custom subframes are then better.

who's interested in building a drag car?
should be pretty simple (relatively)
engine and transmission wise,
gotta find some serious workshop who's in drag races already and is interested in winning.

ninja_iga said:
bad idea.

:retarded:

best to start from scratch. It's better, stronger too.

you still can use the original subframes tho :Not_Impressed:
that'll be very useful for custom fabrication.
That's what i learnt.

of course, as you progress, custom subframes are then better.

who's interested in building a drag car?
should be pretty simple (relatively)
engine and transmission wise,
gotta find some serious workshop who's in drag races already and is interested in winning.

what I mean is I'm going to extract the engine from the halfcut and mount it on my custom chassis.

anyone have an idea how much hp a stock 4G92 MIVEC DOHC can put out? I heard it's 170hp but my friend says only 140hp.

and can an evo ecu cost up to 10k??

thanks

yes a custom chassis

140-150 is realistic at the wheels.

yes and no
no if standard
yes if it's a Motec!

Hey guys, sorry for butting in, but a very cool idea, I support the effort.
maybe the idea should be tabled into a ZTH project! i mean, there are many, many sifoos around zth, and many, many hands with experience and many more willing to help (to get experience) and im pretty sure there are companies (small ones, seeking to build a name) whos willing to join in on the project... This can a project highlighted in the media, if the cards are played right.

Theres everything to gain, here and only time and energy to waste, so i suggest you guys get yourself together and go for it guys... remember no guts no glory!!!!

Build that damned drag car! build a better one, show those fools at proton and the likes that car enthusiasts really have the passion!!!

Cheers! (my thoughts)

Stanley,

When you say welding, I assume you used a MIG welder.

Is it yours? If so, are you still using it?

I'm looking for a MIG welder for my cars.

ninja_iga said:
yes a custom chassis

140-150 is realistic at the wheels.

yes and no
no if standard
yes if it's a Motec!

Motec as in Motec piggyback controller issit?

MajPayne said:
Hey guys, sorry for butting in, but a very cool idea, I support the effort.
maybe the idea should be tabled into a ZTH project! i mean, there are many, many sifoos around zth, and many, many hands with experience and many more willing to help (to get experience) and im pretty sure there are companies (small ones, seeking to build a name) whos willing to join in on the project... This can a project highlighted in the media, if the cards are played right.

Theres everything to gain, here and only time and energy to waste, so i suggest you guys get yourself together and go for it guys... remember no guts no glory!!!!

Build that damned drag car! build a better one, show those fools at proton and the likes that car enthusiasts really have the passion!!!

Cheers! (my thoughts)

yes a very good idea but prioblem is with coordination. Very hard to arrange time for all of us from different parts of malaysia to work on the project. However, all the sifoos here are welcome to give their opinions to make this project a success! Every little bit counts!

Joeker said:
Stanley,

When you say welding, I assume you used a MIG welder.

Is it yours? If so, are you still using it?

I'm looking for a MIG welder for my cars.

yup MIG welding.

not mine, it was my uncle's factory's equipment.

the WIM 210 is nice to use. Great for many levels of skill.

So, who much do you think a project like this will cost?

Last edited:
u need to kno which place to weld and proper engineernig .
don't build a car which once u crashed , the welding spot break , and directly hit into your chest . or head .

bridgestoneRE711 said:
u need to kno which place to weld and proper engineernig .
don't build a car which once u crashed , the welding spot break , and directly hit into your chest . or head .

yup, I'm thinking of building a rollcage around the passenger compartment and maybe some plastic bodypart in front to cushion the impact.

ninja_iga said:
costs? realistically-------- RM25000-30,000

I'm aiming around RM15k. I'm building a really simple car. No radio, no aircon, just drivable only.

Top Bottom