Berlin Motorad Museum Part 3: Motorcycles

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak

This is my last write up on the Berlin Motorad Museum visit. As there were no curators in the museum to show us around and most of it had a display plate in front of it, I had to make do with those names of the motorcycles. Here are the motorcycles that were featured in the Museum. Most of these motorcyles were from MZ, Simson or Eisenacher Motorenwerk (EMW)
A brief history on EMW can be found on Wikipedia, which quotes :

Eisenacher Motorenwerk (EMW) was an East German manufacturer of automobiles and motorcycles based in Eisenach. EMW also entered Formula One as a constructor in 1953, but participated in only one race, the 1953 German Grand Prix.
EMW logo

One of the pre-World War II BMW factories was located in Eisenach, which after the war was taken over by the Soviets, since Eisenach was situated in the Soviet occupation zone. The factory continued producing cars and motorcycles under the BMW brand, but after a lawsuit in 1952 they had to change the name to EMW instead. The logotype was also similar, but instead of the blue BMW used, EMW used red.

Later the automobile section of EMW became VEB Automobilwerk Eisenach and built the Wartburg. Motorcycle manufacture ended in the 1950s and was replaced by the AWO 425 built by Simson at Suhl.

The motorcycle above has a similar emblem/badge that can be found in the modern BMW. These motorcycles displaced above 250cc in it's time. As there are no proper write up on EMW motorcycles on Wikipedia. I can't really say much about them. But I believe they share the same pedigree of the same BMW motorcycles of the period.

Here's an MZ bike from the 50's. These bikes are very streamline and still looks awesome in these days

Here's another MZ example, the MZ GE 250 on the left and ETZ 150 in the center.

Here's a racing bike in the 50's. Notice the large motorcycle fuel tank.

The guy mannequin in the Hawaiian shirt is standing next to an MZ 250 RSJ

This was the largest displacement bike I can find. It was used as a Polizei bike. The MZ500 displaces 500 cc and it was a great bike for police pursuits.

Other MZ bikes.

There were a lot of motorcycles in the museum and I can't describe more about them. It's the contemporary 50's designs that gives you an idea how motorcycles looked like about 50-60 years ago. Here are more photos of the other motorcycles. Enjoy the photos!

Firemen's bike

Old bikes and engines on display

Classic motocross!

Various large bikes

Attachments

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi guys,

My friend's Satria GTi car got stolen at this area Keramat AU / Setiawangsa area. Silver all original exterior. Eventhough chances are slim, if found please PM me ASAP.

To all, do give extra care and precaution on your car especially if you have hot ones like this.

Thank you all.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience