b16a, b16b - im newbie to hondas!

consonar

Known Member
Dec 28, 2004
D'sara - S.alam
Visit site
dear guys...

as stated, im very-very and very new to hondas.. and i want to know about hondas more...

ok, straight to the point... i want to know, about the code and the different..
so, throw a few question to you guys... hope guys can help me with my question :

1) b16a and b16b - what the different?
2) got b16c ke?
3) some guys said.. "hey i'm b18b!" OMG.. what is b18b?
4) got b18a ke?
5) is it b18c is Type R?
6) but, when it come to b20, people only stated b20... how bout b20b? b20c? got any arr??

so, as i remind, im very2 newbie to this variant B-series... hope this lame question doesn't give u troublesome... any guys want to reply? pls proceed and i'll thanks those reply in advance!!

maybe hattech-v can reply...

*hattech mesti dah xkenai aku...

integramania

2,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Visit site
Welcome to the world of DOHC VTEC

dear guys...

as stated, im very-very and very new to hondas.. and i want to know about hondas more...

ok, straight to the point... i want to know, about the code and the different..
so, throw a few question to you guys... hope guys can help me with my question :

1) b16a and b16b - what the different? b16a is the first gen DOHC VTEC...comes in small v and big v which are 1st and 2nd gen respectively. b16b us the 2nd gen 1.6 DOHV VTEC which is from the EK Civic Type R

2) got b16c ke? Don't think so.

3) some guys said.. "hey i'm b18b!" OMG.. what is b18b? Maybe referring to the Integra GSR (4round lights) engine but I may be wrong

4) got b18a ke? Don't think so.

5) is it b18c is Type R? Not necessarily...We usually say b18cR if its the Type R one....

6) but, when it come to b20, people only stated b20... how bout b20b? b20c? got any arr?? Reason is because b20 is a hybrid engine....they use the b16a head (usually) and mate it with the b20 block from the CRV. It's not a factory spec engine. The factory spec one is K20 which is the one in the DC5 integra and FD Civic Type R.

so, as i remind, im very2 newbie to this variant B-series... hope this lame question doesn't give u troublesome... any guys want to reply? pls proceed and i'll thanks those reply in advance!!

maybe hattech-v can reply...

*hattech mesti dah xkenai aku...

consonar

Known Member
Dec 28, 2004
D'sara - S.alam
Visit site
perghhhh... im just look into wiki honda B series - Honda B engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ..

OMG.. im clueless... lol... but neway, maybe we can share some knowledge ..

---------- Post added at 03:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 PM ----------

thanks a lot integramania... fuhhh... thanks a lot for those answer... honestly, im very2 new in honda's engine... and i think somehow it is hard coz the honda's breed is very-very byk punya code engine...

one more .. can i do like this?

block B18B + head 16b + camshaft type-R
1. can i do this?
2. pro n con?
3. can all the valve set* spring,camshaft etc etc from type-R to be put in B16B head?

once again, a silly question to all otai!

integramania

2,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Visit site
Bro...it's ok...All of us also learn slowly...

1. can i do this? no probs, Type R cams will really make u feel the power when u swap from the stock ones
2. pro n con? it's a good match...don't think there is a con
3. can all the valve set* spring,camshaft etc etc from type-R to be put in B16B head? Yeap....Best you buy a completeb16b head which has all this inside already since b16b is a Type R. The cam profile is slightly better than the b18cR one
4. For higher compression, you can change the pistons to b16b ones as the dome shape is higher as compared to the b18c one which is flatter. But make sure the mech has done this before. If not it can be dangerous

arrowhead

Aug 20, 2004
Damansara/PJ
b18b block is originated from USDM models (US market) where they have DOHC 1.8 Non-vtec.
it is said that the b18b block has most torque therefore alot of US ppl use that block and pair it with a type R head (b16b or b18cR).

just to clarify things to the TS,

B16A - 1.6 DOHC VTEC
B16B - 1.6 DOHC VTEC Type R (red head cover)
B18C - 1.8 DOHC VTEC (also known as B18C GSR - it has an inverted intake manifold)
B18CR - 1.8 DOHC VTEC Type R (red head cover)

Q#1 - yes but most importantly, u should start with a complete halfcut, say maybe a b16b. reason being, u cant just buy it and expect to get everything to get the car going. maybe u could, but do u trust the condition of parts being sold these days? furthermore, u will need 2 very important component... the wiring and the ecu. these 2 are quite hard to come by nowadays, and even if there is... the price will be sky high. what i would suggest is, get a compelte halfcut (b16a/b16b/b18c/b18cR) so u have everything. b16a would be cheapest. then u can re-use the wiring/rechip the ecu, re-use the gearbox etc. pretty much just seek for the b18b block. cams can be sourced later on, however, b16b and b18cR cams differ, just so you know.

Q2 - pro's is, if done correctly, u will probably be running on the highest torque-ed b18 out there. aside from a b20 that is. very powerful low end and also high end. con's - if not done properly, ur car will be in the workshop more than it will be at ur house porch. engine can easily blow, which also means, u will be changing ur engine block very very often...

as for your question #3 -
to interchange parts for the head - almost everything is interchangeable.
as for block - b16a is a class of its own, b16b/b18c/b18cR can swap parts without any problem.

happy modding

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J
Oh actually the B20 is a production engine, but they dont have VTEC like the rest of the B series... The Prelude B20 only has PGM-F1 whatever that is :rofl: (198* models) and of course the 1st gen Crv

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
perghhhh... im just look into wiki honda B series - Honda B engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ..

OMG.. im clueless... lol... but neway, maybe we can share some knowledge ..

---------- Post added at 03:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 PM ----------

thanks a lot integramania... fuhhh... thanks a lot for those answer... honestly, im very2 new in honda's engine... and i think somehow it is hard coz the honda's breed is very-very byk punya code engine...

one more .. can i do like this?

1. can i do this?
2. pro n con?
3. can all the valve set* spring,camshaft etc etc from type-R to be put in B16B head?

once again, a silly question to all otai!

bro...

B16B = is from the ek9 TYPE R. and the b16b cams has higher intake duration compared to B18C type R.

So if you get the B16B head...dont change anything in it....just use that head+b18 block.

the valve springs,cams,retainers all use the b16b one...dont swap anything out.

---------- Post added at 12:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 AM ----------

change to hi comp piston...b16b piston

freeman1314

Known Member
Oct 7, 2008
Since all talking bout interchanging part so i curi post awhile ar.
Now I'm running one b16a with 18cr gb, if i wannt swap in a 16b, can I just buy the engine kosong and swap in retaining my old wiring and ecu ?
I don't need the 16b brakes. Can this be done on an eg ?

arrowhead

Aug 20, 2004
Damansara/PJ
Yes you can. But u may need at least a vafc to tune the air/fuel ratio cuz ur current ecu is for b16a. Either that or u can rechip... Or... As my mechanic would say... Hondata...

Last edited:

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
Since all talking bout interchanging part so i curi post awhile ar.
Now I'm running one b16a with 18cr gb, if i wannt swap in a 16b, can I just buy the engine kosong and swap in retaining my old wiring and ecu ?
I don't need the 16b brakes. Can this be done on an eg ?
it can be done...but you might risk running lean due to higher lift intake cams,compression etc..

need to get it tuned or re-chipped ecu...

Last edited:

integram

Known Member
Apr 10, 2007
AD_EG,
tks for ur advise.....i can use it too......guess u have alot of experience in hondas.......

nard_nerd

Jul 16, 2009
since every honda's sifu here,may i ask a question??
is that any possible to fit a k20a high compression piston into b20b block??
and 16a head for the top,would it make more power??

---------- Post added at 07:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:05 PM ----------

since every honda's sifu here,may i ask a question??
is that any possible to fit a k20a high compression piston into b20b block??
and 16a head for the top,would it make more power??

jombiee

500 RPM
Feb 7, 2005
Ghombau
b-series injectors are the same

unless u use h-series.

correct me if im wrong :itsme:
there are peak & hold injectors like from obd0 1988-1991 civic/crx/integra & 1992-1996 prelude model(others than with H22)- they have resistor box
the other one is saturated type -obd1 onwards
1988-'91 Civic Si/CRX Si Peak and Hold 240cc
1992-'95 Civic Saturated 240cc
1996-'00 Civic dx cx and lx Saturated 190cc
1996-'00 Civic ex/si Saturated 240cc
1990-'91 Integra RS/LS/GS Peak and Hold 240cc
1992-'00 Integra LS/GS Saturated 240cc
1992-'96 Prelude Non-VTEC Peak and Hold 240cc
1992-'96 Prelude VTEC Peak and Hold 345cc
1997-up Prelude VTEC H22 Saturated 280cc

yeah, its copy & paste:thefinger:

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi all. My wife's car (MyVi 1.3) was drowned in the flash flood last week. The water level was up to the coin drawer(I don't really know what it was called). The car was parked when it was sank. After the flood I've tried to start the engine but failed. Does any of otai here have any idea what's the problem since the Perodua Service Centre quoted me RM16k to repair the car(I rather go to other workshop than paying that RM16k). Any recommend for trustworthy & good workmanship workshop(with...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience