Autobox Question

May 4, 2011
Hello;
I have 2 questions to ask about my 1.3 Kia Rio.

1) when cold start, then put in R or D the car will jerking and sometime mati. but if we tkan minyak abit, terus no problem, no more jerking..

2) My auto box suka tuka2 gear....a bit bukit terus gear 3...then if i am driving above 120..then tkan minyak nak pecut..it will automatically masuk gear 2..is this normal...the car will just bising but not much speed difference..

someone please help me...tq =)

D7zul

Feb 24, 2011
1) my pomen said if auto gearbox, u need to warm up at least 5 minutes b4 u put in gear.. at least..

2) i'm guessing u have a 4speed auto gearbox.. if it sense u climbing hills, it will drop a gear.. if u tekan minyak kuat2, it will drop gear too.. & it's normal for an automatic car to 'buat bising' & not going anywhere :biggrin:

axsatr

May 4, 2011
1) tapi..lpas enjin da panas pon...kalau off then on balik kadang2 gegar..

2)im using 4 speed auto...i dunno what type of atf im using..is castrol and around rm90 per bottle..

---------- Post added at 11:27 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:25 AM ----------

and one more thing..this one time...im at 140 and i tkan minyak the autobox masuk gear 2..is this normal??

tq =)

D7zul

Feb 24, 2011
gegar? better check with ur trustworthy mechanic..

140 masuk gear 2? sure ke? ke gear 3?

how old is ur car?

axsatr

May 4, 2011
just 80k+ on mileage..not sure brape tahun..

yup...masuk 2..coz boleh dengar dia tukar 2 kali...

jerking..tapi kalau tkan minyak sikit trus ok..

tg =)

D7zul

Feb 24, 2011
usually, maximum..

1st gear can go up to 40km/h

2nd gear - 90km/h

3rd gear - 140km/h

4th gear - 180km/h..

* varies depending on gear ratio, make & model..

2 kali...? i think it drops to 3rd gear & go up to 4th gear again..

it is not possible to drop to 2nd gear at 140km/h without sumthing blowing up.. :biggrin:

I believe at 140 km/h, your gear drop to 3, not 2. Haha... It is normal for auto to drop gear when you tapdown the throttle. If it sense that it cannot deliver what you want in the current gear, the only way is to drop the gear for more. In this respect, your gearbox is working fine. Btw, you said bunyi bising but feel no go, that means your gearbox is extra fine. That is truly a signature of an auto gearbox!

About your first question, I experienced before a slight jerk during cold start. but not to the level of engine mati. Just a slight jerk once only. For this matter, I would say it is not fine. Consult some mechs for their advice? Normally the engine mati in auto car is due to the TC failing to unlock or improper stall speed adjustment. As bro Danz advised, are you using the right ATF?

axsatr

May 4, 2011
ok..so today i tested my car on hway...it is fine =)
after exceeding 140..if tkan habis oso no more gear change...
jerking is still puzzling tho~~

D7zul

Feb 24, 2011
i think it jerking becoz of the 'transition' of the gear change..

if manual, the clutch detach gearbox from the engine.. so, no jerking involve..

automatic doesnt hv clutch.. it have torque converter.. so, to convert the torque to another gear will cause jerking..

peace.. out.. :burnout:

this morning my fren found that his car is gone when he going to work.....he suspect car get stolen by midnight.....his car is wira special edition black colour..wif engine 1.8 twin cam..16 sport rim..others all standard...location car stolen is sg.buloh new village...