air filter and exhaust system

voon

Known Member
Nov 28, 2003
hi everybody, i'm new here.......i own a proton 1.5 (m) 2002 which perform like a trishaw........ i am thinking of few modification without changing the engine.

First, i would like to change the air filter to a less resistance one........is it ok ? Which brand to choose and any precaution should i take ?

Second, the exhaust system........can i fixed up a 4-2-1 manifold ( extractor ) only and keep the rest original until the muffles, as i dun want loud sound.

Anything else i can do to increase some performance for my poor car ?

thanx

voon

cyclonite

500 RPM
Nov 27, 2003
If you change air filter, you have to decide whether to stick with the original type or open pod design. If you choose open pod, you will need to add pipings, plus open pod air filter and your car will sound different... very noisy. For open pod filters, check out K&N or HKS lor...

On the other hand if you want to use the original type of catridge filter, HKS has those high performance kind also where you can easilly change your standard air filter to this type just by replacing it... no need to modify the filter's housing or whatever.

>Anything else i can do to increase some performance for my poor car ?

Yeah change spark plugs to high performance ones, change your spark plug cables to less resistance 5 core cables or something similar. If got money, change your ignition system to more powerful one also so that it can produce a greater spark at the spark plug.

If you still want to go faster, w/o noise, w/o spending much....

check out www.turbozet.com or find out about Surbo turbo.

There are also systems like 'power jet' or 'micro compressor' heard of it? not sure how they work but they allow your engine to get more power and save petrol.

akimoto

Known Member
Nov 20, 2003
fastest n easiest way to get power from your car -- NOS

Esky

Known Member
Nov 27, 2003
Jun,

not everyone can afford or wants major mod mah! ;)

johnsonlam

DIY King
Nov 17, 2003
Balik Pulau, KL
Originally posted by voon@Nov 28 2003, 02:20 AM
hi everybody, i'm new here.......i own a proton 1.5 (m) 2002 which perform like a trishaw........ i am thinking of few modification without changing the engine.

First, i would like to change the air filter to a less resistance one........is it ok ? Which brand to choose and any precaution should i take ?

Second, the exhaust system........can i fixed up a 4-2-1 manifold ( extractor ) only and keep the rest original until the muffles, as i dun want loud sound.

Anything else i can do to increase some performance for my poor car ?

thanx

voon
Hi Voon,

Basic guides on Performance increase is Air Intake and Outlet.. (Which I think you already figured it out)..

For Wira, you can either Modify your Stock air filter to have a Drop in Filter Element or to remove it and replace with open POD.
:::: PROs of using Drop in and Original Air Box
- Cheap
- Original Heat Shield intact
- Stock Cold Air intake (Proton Wira / Satria)
- Not noisy

:::: PROs of using Open Pod
- More Power
:::: CONS
- Noisy
- Need to install additional piping (RAM Pipe)
- Need to modify Cold Air intake for better performance
- Additional Cost.

---------

Next will be the Air outlet system.. Changing your extractor to 4-2-1 will give you a better acceleration... and also the size of your piping will help too.. But bare in mind, if you install TOO large pipings, you will decrease your performance...

sil

Nov 14, 2003
Visit site
Maybe should tell him the reason why changing this or that will help increase in performance? Don't just simply change without knowing whats the main purpose. In a way he'll get more into cars :)

Cheers

voon

Known Member
Nov 28, 2003
thanx everybody........

Still not ready for major mods.........scarry ma !!

After reading everything and considering...........this is my verdict

Ok.............I'll change my Air filter ( Drop in ) - close pod system and extractor (4-2-1 ) only, without changing the long pipe and the muffles. Its that ok ?? !!

johnsonlam

DIY King
Nov 17, 2003
Balik Pulau, KL
Originally posted by voon@Dec 1 2003, 12:16 AM
thanx everybody........

Still not ready for major mods.........scarry ma !!

After reading everything and considering...........this is my verdict

Ok.............I'll change my Air filter ( Drop in ) - close pod system and extractor (4-2-1 ) only, without changing the long pipe and the muffles. Its that ok ?? !!
HI Voon..

Yup.. that should be good enough... (For the moment).. :) hehe
umans are so hard to be satisfied. :D :lol: :D :lol:

simplythebest

1,500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Selangor
Originally posted by cyclonite@Nov 28 2003, 02:36 AM
If you change air filter, you have to decide whether to stick with the original type or open pod design. If you choose open pod, you will need to add pipings, plus open pod air filter and your car will sound different... very noisy. For open pod filters, check out K&N or HKS lor...

On the other hand if you want to use the original type of catridge filter, HKS has those high performance kind also where you can easilly change your standard air filter to this type just by replacing it... no need to modify the filter's housing or whatever.

>Anything else i can do to increase some performance for my poor car ?

Yeah change spark plugs to high performance ones, change your spark plug cables to less resistance 5 core cables or something similar. If got money, change your ignition system to more powerful one also so that it can produce a greater spark at the spark plug.

If you still want to go faster, w/o noise, w/o spending much....

check out www.turbozet.com or find out about Surbo turbo.

There are also systems like 'power jet' or 'micro compressor' heard of it? not sure how they work but they allow your engine to get more power and save petrol.
NGK spark plugs? how to choose? mine is a 1.3 GLi .. can I have the NGK brand model description name? there are cold and hot plugs right .. so I should go for?
do they have model like NGK 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9? or maybe 1-4 is cold 5-9 is hot? :unsure: not sure .. high performance plugs cost around RM 200?

for spark plug cables .. go for splitfire? :ph34r: :unsure:

EG9

2,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Subang Jaya
My brother have done some mod on his 1.3L, get good performance (still using original air cleaner) , able to beat 1.6L that had mod.
Actually my bro have tried a few type of air filter but still get the best "overall performance" with original air filter.
No doubt open pod air filter give you visible throttle respond, but the nightmare come after thrid gear.

3R1C

'(00) Super Moderator
Nov 18, 2003
Kelate/Penang
3R1C-MY.Blogspot.com
Originally posted by EG9@Dec 1 2003, 04:59 PM
My brother have done some mod on his 1.3L, get good performance (still using original air cleaner) , able to beat 1.6L that had mod.
Actually my bro have tried a few type of air filter but still get the best "overall performance" with original air filter.
No doubt open pod air filter give you visible throttle respond, but the nightmare come after thrid gear.
mind to tell wat's the nightmare?

voon,
ya...like they all said...changing air filter is a good way...
about that extractor...if changing to 4-2-1 and a larger diameter piping and stick with da original muffler...u will get a funny sound...coz i got a a 4-2-1 and a 2 1/4" piping but with the 1 1/2" stock muffler...i got a funny sound like "Prianggg....priang..." haha...kinda noisy sometime <_<
but anyway...no $$$ for muffler yet...so just stick with it...but i think u will get a better torque :)

em...a lot of minor things u can do to increase performance...sparkplugs...the cables...all already stated by sifu...

good luck... B)

cheers!

Eric

cyclonite

500 RPM
Nov 27, 2003
Ok since noone's replying my other topic, maybe I should ask the same question here. Does anyone know what a cat back exhaust do? How does it work? What is it for?

Thanks.

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Once Upon a Time Petaling Street was awesome !!

now it is more like Bangla street than Petaling Street, still got weirdos want to defend the place and say natural heritage instead it is now being conquered by Bangla?

opinions?

Petaling Street no longer seems to represent Malaysian culture and its people - Community | The Star...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience