Type R Gearbox Syncro problem...Any advice?

Sil80-13

1,000 RPM
Hi guys,

Heard that B series gearbox always have syncro problem & it's the weakness of it. Is it true?

Now my gearbox got sound & hardly can engage from 2nd gear to 3rd gear when on high rev.
If drive at low rev with low speed, no problem to engage from 2nd gear to 3rd gear.
So confirm syncro problem. Right?

Anyone can share his experience on syncro problem?

I have ask 1 set of syncro for 2nd gear to 3rd gear is RM600 from Genuine Honda spare part shop.

Is if advisable to buy brand new or can use half-cut one?

Attachments

• s_0456.jpg
    s_0456.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 1,186
is there crunching sound when ur shifting? if there is....thats usually an indication of syncro..

theres also the possibility of clutch wearing out making it difficult to engage gears... but yeah...most likely its syncros

is there crunching sound when ur shifting? if there is....thats usually an indication of syncro..

theres also the possibility of clutch wearing out making it difficult to engage gears... but yeah...most likely its syncros

Yup. It had the crunching sound after my track day last Sat. But when this morning I test again 2nd gear high rev to 8k rpm & change to 3rd gear, no sound already. Maybe it's the sign that it's going to spoil...Haha...

Happened to me before for 2 to 3 gear, did u notice any other symptoms?

so urs happen on high rev speed??

taken from the EG6 thread

the crunching only happens on high rev shift kan? that's on the early stage. mine, low rev shift pun chunching. that is what will happen when you don't change your syncro.

if i'm not mistaken, the cost of the syncro is around rm500 for brand new. but you can also search for used sets too. imo better u change the syncro as well when you install the LSD.

as for my gearbox... it crunches on high revs aka redlining too.. but low revs is very very smooth...except for 4th to 5th...it will crunch when the gearbox oil (MTF-III) is cold ...but once the oil heated up...again no problems and all ssmmoooooooootthhh

Happened to me before for 2 to 3 gear, did u notice any other symptoms?

No other symptoms. Just the crunching sound when on high rev change gear from 2nd to 3rd gear. Did you change the syncro?

cheapest solution(more like shortcut)...get Red Line Lightweight Shockproof gear oil......sticker price is RM68/L....how cheap u can get depend on ur bargaining skill...u'll need @ least 2L....need 2 run abt 2-3 days 4 it 2 fully cover all d parts in ur gearbox.hopefully u'll hear crunched no more........but der's a catch..dis gear oil i was told i actually 4 racing application..so ur advised NOT 2 leave ur car idle for more thn 1 week @ a time...n ur supposed 2 chg d gear oil every 10,000km....
good luck.....

cheapest solution(more like shortcut)...get Red Line Lightweight Shockproof gear oil......sticker price is RM68/L....how cheap u can get depend on ur bargaining skill...u'll need @ least 2L....need 2 run abt 2-3 days 4 it 2 fully cover all d parts in ur gearbox.hopefully u'll hear crunched no more........but der's a catch..dis gear oil i was told i actually 4 racing application..so ur advised NOT 2 leave ur car idle for more thn 1 week @ a time...n ur supposed 2 chg d gear oil every 10,000km....
good luck.....

Wow... thanks for the sharing. Gonna try it. By the way, is the Red Line Lightweight Shockproof gear oil is LSD gear oil for LSD gearbox?

And also what do you mean advised NOT 2 leave ur car idle for more than 1 week @ a time?
Is it must drive our car out at least once a week? Cannot everyday warm up & idle only. right?

it's meant 4 LSD gbox...whc means no LSD oso can use lar....been using it for both my full lock n helical LSD gboxes....
n yes,MUST drive d car @ least once a week..dis is told 2 me by d seller as advised by his supplier..is he's BS-ing me,thn i'm BS-ing here too...ahhahah
cheers............

it's meant 4 LSD gbox...whc means no LSD oso can use lar....been using it for both my full lock n helical LSD gboxes....
n yes,MUST drive d car @ least once a week..dis is told 2 me by d seller as advised by his supplier..is he's BS-ing me,thn i'm BS-ing here too...ahhahah
cheers............

Thanks again for such a good sharing bro. Will buy the gear oil tomorrow in Sunway & try it. Will update you guys on the outcome. Hopefully the crunching sound will went off...:biggrin:

akuma

is that the same redline that meor is using ah??

coz hizam tried the same redline as meor's on his car and he got crunches... MTF-III no crunch.

and its the opposite for Meor with the MTF-III

akuma

is that the same redline that meor is using ah??

coz hizam tried the same redline as meor's on his car and he got crunches... MTF-III no crunch.

and its the opposite for Meor with the MTF-III

mADmAN. What MTF-III stands for?

i bought it for RM190 at Exceptional Autoparts in Glenmarie... dunno about other spare part shops. in mudah i saw someone selling RM220.

yeah can use for LSD gearboxes... the meor and hizam i mentioned above are both driving DC5-Rs

Sil80-13,
IF d crunches does not go away after 2-3 days of normal driving,thn i guess ur in big trouble.no choice but 2 open up d gbox n inspect...BUT since u mentioned d crunches now only happen during high rpm,shudn't b dat serious.....

maDmaN,
i'm not sure abt Hizam's case but every1 dat i've suggested using dis gear oil 2 solve d crunching problem all came back happy.....n i had d chance 2 compare btween MTFIII vs Lightweight Shockproof almost back 2 back......i'd say Red Line gives me better shifting whc is more precise compared w MTFIII.....but i must say MTFIII is good too...just too bad i had a mis-shift incident n had 2 switch 2 Red Line.....

akuma,
Last time dis prob oso happened to me but after I use 1 oil product from US, its just reduce the prob onli. Let say I opened up my gb, which part should I check/change?

Btw its happened to me on low rev not high rev

Sil80-13,
Sorry coz borrow ur thread & asking another question :biggrin:

cad843,
usually crunching problem w Honda gearboxes r mostly caused by sychros......& to untrained eyes,usually u won know wat's wrong or whc synchros is spoilt..leave 2 a competent mechanic.....

Top Bottom