ZTH KuChiNG zone

thrill_item

Known Member
Jul 3, 2007
seremban/johor
Garrett Turbos:

Garrett basically has two lines of turbos. The ancient, inefficient T series turbos and the new, modern, ball bearing GT series turbos.

T family has T22, T25, T3, T350, To4B, To4E, TS04, To4R ...These are 50 year old, WWII generation turbos.
The newer line of GT turbos are ball bearing on journal and thrust bearing. The turbine and compressor wheels are improvely aerodynamically to flow more air. GT20, GT22, GT25, GT30, GT35, GT40, GT45, GT50... GT turbos produce slightly more hp then older T series turbos with the same number designation. A GT Garrett turbine wheel wil flow more air than similar sized Greddy turbine wheel. Thus GT turbos are able to boost higher and flow more.

Turbonetics and many domestic makers turbos based on T series turbos. A T3/To4E 60 T .63A/R is a hybrid turbo with T3 turbine, To4E compressor, 60 Trim compressor wheel and .63 A/R turbine housing.

Wheel "trim" refers to the squared ratio of the smaller diameter divided by the larger diameter times 100. Generally, the larger the trim number the more flow the wheel has.

For compressor wheels , larger trim tends to mean slightly lower efficiency.

For "families" of turbine wheels (those with the same inducer diameter), larger trim usually means better flow with less backpressure but longer spool time.

A/R is a ratio of the exhaust discharge area vs the distance from the center of turbine wheel to the center of the cross sectional area. Smaller A/R housing has faster spool up. Bigger A/R housing has less back pressure, more flow for the top end.

The so called "T-series': T60, T61, T66, T70, T72, T76... are T4 turbos as well. The number means the compressor inducer size. ie: T76 means it has 76mm compressor inducer.

HKS uses Garrett turbos. HKS GT series turbos use Garrett GT's turbine with GT's compressor.

For example, HKS GT 2835 is GT28 turbine with GT35 52 trim compressor.

The newer line of Garrett GT-R turbos are hybrid turbos. For example, GT30R is a hybrid of GT30 turbine mated to 56 trim GT37 compressor.

user6

Known Member
Oct 19, 2004
Kuching/Sarawak
Visit site
Thought they have changed the date to 23rd May 2010? :hmmmm:
Dear all,
Sarawak Drag Battle,Kuching Stage had been postponed to this 21-23 of May 2010.
This was due to lack of drivers/dragsters without Racing Driving License from AAM(which is a GOOD effort) taken by the organizer IMO. . .
So,see all of u guys there on those dates!

Thanx!

user6

Known Member
Oct 19, 2004
Kuching/Sarawak
Visit site
Maybe,its because they're two different organizers.I know that the organizer in Miri are very
active in their activities and also part of it is because of a very strong support from our neighbours,Brunei and Sabah as well in terms of their participation.
But,from my opinion,in future times whoever is the organizer will be,a well prepared participants/team should also include having Racing License as well.But,please,don't get me wrong here.I am not trying to force or pressure anybody/anyone for that matter to get the license.
Anyways,we,as the enthusiasts should look this into other perspectives.Like what MiLd7 mentioned,
it is more towards promoting the Motorsports scene here in Sarawak.Hence rising the standard of local motorsports activities.Our support,even in this forum,no matter how small it may seem,is still a support.It is important as long as we're genuine in giving them.

So,once again,buckle-up for a new chapter in Sarawak Drag Battle.Lets hope for the best!

Thanx!

rex79gt

500 RPM
Jan 9, 2008
Ngiao City
who remember the drag event in 2005?
where as that time there is participant from miri o even brunei
who cares bout the Ass license
somemore the participant fee isn;t that high from what i remember -.-

MiLd7

1,000 RPM
Nov 7, 2004
Borneo Legion
Visit site
who remember the drag event in 2005?
where as that time there is participant from miri o even brunei
who cares bout the Ass license
somemore the participant fee isn;t that high from what i remember -.-
lolz.. in my memory watch and read from some other forum, they upload the photo of fighting at the track!!!
motorsport should follow the standard, otherwise wont be success from shah alam track until today sepang circuit!

rex79gt

500 RPM
Jan 9, 2008
Ngiao City
unless we got a bridge go to sepang track la
else what for we renew the annual license for?

does it giv the license to speed around? NO -.-
license to drive around yr track car? NO
do u get yr skill improved when u got the license in hand? NO~

time for a chance also must meet thing that is PRACTICAL

do u need a AAM license license to speed in sepang track? NO
all u need is entrance fee, time, fuel, skill n car for that purpose

*personal opinion :P hehe

user6

Known Member
Oct 19, 2004
Kuching/Sarawak
Visit site
Without the License you are nothing.You are just a normal person with standard Malaysian driving license,driving on the road.Not the racing track.The license only permits u to drive in a racing track NOT on public roads.
The people that went to Sepang/racing tracks to test their skills/cars,are people doing it on weekend basis only,or any open track session day.Those events are not a racing event and therefore racing license is not a must.Anything that happened during that track session,is your own responsibility.

So,why do you need a license then?It only permits you to join a race event sanctioned by AAM ,hence the government.It is just the same as any other license.It gives the right/permit to do things within its stipulated regulations and limit.

Nobody should want to speed their cars on the public road in their track cars.Not me.I know its useless and only hazardous to other road users.But, we are only human.

As,for changes,to me it is practical enough.It is just the right time(if not too late) for our local motorsports scene to be updated.And we are going to have our own Racing Track soon (To be confirmed).And thats already a big step towards our motorsports developement.

But,then again,its only my thoughts against other people.We are entitled to our own opinions.Yes,and these are very encouraging enough.

Thanx!

evo3

1,500 RPM
Jul 2, 2004
Visit site
as for now, currently the AAM lesen is useless.... and we need to renew it every year. What if the organizer only organise one race each year(from what i heard that is a series of leg but who to comfirm), that mean we need to fork as few hundred RM extra just to race? where they can just go to our so call track every weeked and it free. And i know a few of them can get a permit to race like what they had done last time at Masja. Imagine closing down the whole masja just to test thier car on Sat morning. ;p

and User6, i do agree that our motorsport standard in Kuching need to be upgraded but since i think alot of the racers don see the point of having a license just to race once a year. I for one will get the license if there is track available but for now, i better save my money. As for our racing track, i had being invited to the meeting by my friends with the DATUK and he does promimse this and that but that is 3-5 years ago. ( You might be there too, since you know alot)

And the latest new i got is the GOV say you want race track? can, just sponsor us a land. And the not so latest news i got few months ago is that the track will built at 10th mile and works will begin after CNY but i did not see nor heard anything. ;p

In other words, for the standard to be improved, we need Gov support which is more interested in other things. So for the time being, we need to get used to the mini track at Stadium and the temp drag strip at Sejingkat. As for Bako, please la, that is for kid who just got thier license but i don;t know cos i had not being there for 8-9 years already. :)

Maybe if we can all the motorhead in kuching to sign a petition for a race track *wink* since election is coming soon, we might get it. hahaha...

This is all my stupid, idiot, no brain, opinions and my 2 sen thinking. Please don shoot me.

Last edited:

darkwizard

Jul 10, 2006
Kaching...
After reading through....let me summarised.

1. AAM is very very good in making profit (Cash in) from marketing point of view. (The Short term strategy).
2. Just to pay a few Hundred for a once a year event not including entrance fee not including other stuff - just the licence only (Not justified with the facilities we have at the moment) so, it is not gonna work well.

Proposal for improvement (or also know as - "One point lession" study Metholodgy)
The organiser should study on the system first before jump into conclusion.
1. Why not study how the other motorsports organiser able to do it with success without the need to postpond due to lack of participation (Thats really gonna tarnish the reputations).
2. Also if thats is not enough, study How Sepang organiser easily orgainse it, Why the famous track in German can get in lots of profit (The long term Strategy from business point of view).

Oh...by the way, the german track really making profit as they allows civilians to test their car without the need of the Superlicence watch this even a van can enter
YouTube - Sabine Schmitz's Nurburgring Van challenge part 2 - Top Gear - BBC

YouTube- Top Gear - Nurburgring Jaguar S-Type Part 1

Overall that is what my own humble personal oppinion and case study. Just feel like want to share it here since this topic was brought up.

Last edited:

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Just last week, the new Ford Mustang made official launch in Malaysia after its first public preview last year. Generating quite a buzz of late, this new, all-American Mustang has got Malaysians talking - primarily on pricing and practicality.

We figured it'd be wise to share what we found, so here are 7 quick facts about the 6th Gen Ford Mustang you need to know...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience