wut is the best tyre size for myvi??

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
Since you saw them putting the centre cones, I think it's balancing that you need to do next. I don't think the rim shop guy can make a mistake with this. Did you do it in Kedai Papan, Klang?

OKLY

Known Member
Nov 26, 2011
Selangor
bro , how much did ur tyre and rim cost u??
If don't consider trade-in value, the whole set would cost about RM1,900.

Since you saw them putting the centre cones, I think it's balancing that you need to do next. I don't think the rim shop guy can make a mistake with this. Did you do it in Kedai Papan, Klang?
Yes, did/bought at Kedai Papan aka Hin Leong in Klang.

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
How much is the tyre only? How do you find the tyres?

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
How will I be able to check if it fits perfectly now? But one friend of mine said that most of the time when upsizing to a larger aftermarket rims, the center cone is very likely needed. But shouldn't the shop suggested/advised on this matter?
Depends from shop to shop. That day at Tek Ming, my mechanic was changing rims, they did suggest fitting the center cone. Many other shop I went to did not.

To check you have to remove the rims from the car, take out the rim cap in the middle then fit the rims back on. Through the cap hole you can see whether the rims hole fits properly to the wheel hub. If fitting means no space left, even 1mm space means not fitting.

---------- Post added at 10:26 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:25 AM ----------

Actually I saw them placing something similar to this before putting on my tires:
WTS : Aluminum Center Cones (Hub Hole)

So now got 2 possibilities? One is that the center cone is not the correct size, another is the balancing was not done properly?
If the cones have been fitted then the balancing maybe not good......

---------- Post added at 10:29 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:26 AM ----------

How much is the tyre only? How do you find the tyres?
195/50R15 PS3 should be RM230 per pc.

OKLY

Known Member
Nov 26, 2011
Selangor
Went back to Hin Leong today and told them about the vibrating steering, at my receipt I was charged for the center cones and also saw it fitted with the rims. So their foreman went to proceed with tire balancing, then after doing it he tested it and told me it shouldn't vibrate anymore.

So on the highway I tried again, vibrations are less but I still feel it (not as smooth compared to stock tires/rims). Now, is the balancing still not done properly? I'm considering to bring to another tire shop to do the balancing again and hopefully they can solve it for me.

Also another thing, if a tires are not run-in 100% yet, will there be any effects like vibrations?

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
May I know which method is used to balance your tyre this time?

OKLY

Known Member
Nov 26, 2011
Selangor
May I know which method is used to balance your tyre this time?
First he did the off-wheel where he put the tire to the machine. After doing that, he did the on-wheel where he fit back the tire and then spin the tires by accelerating it until about 120-140km/h to feel the vibration. After several adjustments, then he said done and shouldn't vibrate anymore based on his testings. But when I took it back to the highway and tested it myself, I still felt vibrations but it wasn't as bad compared to yesterday.

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
120-140km/h? If I'm not wrong, I usually see them doing it at only 80km/h. Anyway, balancing actually need some skills. If that person not so skilful or experienced, there will still be vibration. I only send to selected shops and only let selected guys to do it for me. Try another shop. Not sure of any good shops where you live, unless if you are willing to travel to Seremban or Port Dickson, then I can recommend you those shops. Hehe.

There was once I travelled from Seremban to Taiping. My Kancil was vibrating at 110km/h. So, the moment I reached Taiping, I did my balancing at a random shop. The result?? Even at 90km/h the car was vibrating worse than 110km/h. Came back to Seremban and sent it to my usual shop, no more vibrating even at 130km/h.

OKLY

Known Member
Nov 26, 2011
Selangor
Was thinking of bringing to Lim Tayar and try their balancing service. Apparently they have this high speed balancing service. Price slightly more expensive, heard it was around RM70 but if it really solves my problem then I think it's fine. It's quite frustrating that the steering vibrates when going at highway speeds (considering the fact that I'm always outstation so I travel on the highway a lot).

Plus I don't think many tire shops are open on a Sunday.

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
Ask around if anyone knows any shop that does good balancing.

OKLY

Known Member
Nov 26, 2011
Selangor
Yea need to scout around.

By the way, anyone knows if let's say I add a brake caliper cover, would it somehow disturb the wheel balancing and I'll need to redo balancing again?

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Also another thing, if a tires are not run-in 100% yet, will there be any effects like vibrations?
Yup, sometimes can become better......for me it does.....

---------- Post added at 01:22 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:15 PM ----------

Yea need to scout around.

By the way, anyone knows if let's say I add a brake caliper cover, would it somehow disturb the wheel balancing and I'll need to redo balancing again?
If you have done on wheel balancing, it may require balancing again, if you remove the wheels out to fit the cover. If you do not want to balance again, ask the guy taking out the wheels, to mark and place the wheels back into the same lug holes. This is because on wheel balances the shafts and everything connected. By shifting the lug holes the weight may be different. Has happened to me before. Now, I try to do off wheel balancing, this way the wheels need not be marked....

You can try Kee Hin is Old Klang Road. Weng Tat in Subang. Weng Tat and Quicksave are opened today (Sunday) but until 3pm only. Weng Tat maybe 4pm...

OKLY

Known Member
Nov 26, 2011
Selangor
Yup, sometimes can become better......for me it does.....

---------- Post added at 01:22 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:15 PM ----------

If you have done on wheel balancing, it may require balancing again, if you remove the wheels out to fit the cover. If you do not want to balance again, ask the guy taking out the wheels, to mark and place the wheels back into the same lug holes. This is because on wheel balances the shafts and everything connected. By shifting the lug holes the weight may be different. Has happened to me before. Now, I try to do off wheel balancing, this way the wheels need not be marked....

You can try Kee Hin is Old Klang Road. Weng Tat in Subang. Weng Tat and Quicksave are opened today (Sunday) but until 3pm only. Weng Tat maybe 4pm...
Didn't know Quicksave is open on Sunday, did a bit of searching and they did not mention that they are open on Sunday. So I ended up going to Lim Tayar in SS2 since it's nearer to my place too and they redo the off-wheel balance for me first (RM9 per tire). At the moment, there's still vibration so I think I may need on-wheel balancing, at a shop with good reputation for alignment and balancing.

I think before I do on-wheel balancing, I should let my tires run-in more and see if it helps or not. Around what mileage max (to consider that the run-in period is almost over) before I should straight go do my on-wheel balancing already?

1 more thing, as this is my first time on a lower profile tires, I really do not know how much vibration I should expect to be considered normal. A quick research led me to find out that lower profile tires tend to give more vibration as it gives more road feedback so as for our Malaysian road condition, the rough road may cause the vibration also. So what I need to know is how much vibration will be considered normal?

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Quicksave normally do not open on Sundays. Near the bigger festive season like Hari Raya, Maybe X'mas and CNY he will open on 2 Sundays before the holidays, then he also closed longer for the holidays too. Something to compensate his long closure..... :biggrin:
So this & Next Sunday he will be opened.
Lower profile tyres should not vibrate too when they are in balance. I am using 45 series and they are okay.
Lim Tayar, I have heard the camber thing from other forums also.....looks like many places doing it.....

OKLY

Known Member
Nov 26, 2011
Selangor
Quicksave normally do not open on Sundays. Near the bigger festive season like Hari Raya, Maybe X'mas and CNY he will open on 2 Sundays before the holidays, then he also closed longer for the holidays too. Something to compensate his long closure..... :biggrin:
So this & Next Sunday he will be opened.
Lower profile tyres should not vibrate too when they are in balance. I am using 45 series and they are okay.
Lim Tayar, I have heard the camber thing from other forums also.....looks like many places doing it.....
So Quicksave does a decent job for alignment and balancing right? If so then I'll have them check mine.

After doing off-wheel balancing at Lim Tayar, it does seem that steering vibration seems to have improved but still will have when above 140km/h. Also if the floor of my car can feel the vibration, it's probably coming from the rear tires is it?

P/S: Anyone knows if Raydiance Wheels in Sunway Mentari does decent alignment and balancing job? Link

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Ello,

Car model : Wira SE 1.5 Siemen VDO

What kind of diagnosis tool socket using?

OBD II or others????:rolleyes:

Thanks.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience