Who you think is the best ever F1 driver?

prodigy

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
I never like to give opinions when it comes to questions like which is the best/greatest/fastest and so on. Its a neverending argument, much like people asking VTEC or MIVEC is fastest.

Different drivers are in different cars and they all came from different generations. You could never ever compare Fangio and Michael or Senna and Michael. Its just silly.

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ
Silly but fun if done in the right spirit and enlightening as well.

As long as people don't get worked up over it and keep an open mind it'll be great. Its just like football banter. If you are only going to be nasty and angry theres no point. If you keep a lighthearted approach towards the matter then everything is fine.

Bad example;
Person A: Senna is DA GREATEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Person B: Schumi will kick his ass!
Person A: Says who?
Person B: Why can't you respect others opinion you ^&$%$#&*
Person A: Hey, why are you cursing har? &*%^$&&
and so it goes...

The point is to be respectful and ellaborate your opinion nicely.

bosozoku

Dec 31, 2005
Hey guys…. In our quest to choose the gr8test f1 driver ever, I personally believe we surely gonna create turmoil sooner or later...
But most of us already know that those drivers that we’re comparing came from different eras… different in so many ways (equipment wise)
The one thing that they have in common is their ability to perform flawlessly when it counts the most. Beside that they have the ability to motivate their team to work together and become ONE in their fight to accomplish the main objectives, which is the Number One.

Last edited:

links

1,500 RPM
May 26, 2004
but back to 80s the F1 is much more interesting than now.... especially in the years of turbo rulez while 1.5 litre engine can squeeze the heck of 1000horsies....

and not to forget the amzing 6 wheeled Abraham racing cars

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ
This is what Top Gear (mag) has to say about Senna;

Ayrton Senna
Responsible for a thousand unforgettable moments, from qualifying at Monaco to ripping up Donington in the wet in '93. God-like genius in the car, enigmatic and spiritual out of it. Almost certainly the greatest driver ever. His death meant we never saw him put Schuey down.

Daniel Lee

2,000 RPM
Apr 21, 2005
KL
links said:
but back to 80s the F1 is much more interesting than now.... especially in the years of turbo rulez while 1.5 litre engine can squeeze the heck of 1000horsies....
That time, those engines spiced up the race. Too bad turbo was banned later....:Not_Impressed:

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
guys, any change I can download Senna era F1 racing video with commentator background voice?

He has been a mistery for me. I mean I never have a change to see him racing, the only comparison between Schumi and Senna is the last 3 races within the same season, unfortunately, I don't that's fair enough to compare, Schumi did out shine Senna in first 3 races.

infernaL

2,000 RPM
May 22, 2005
N/A
si|verfish said:
Hey, I did.
my bad , read the posts before rather promptly . btw speaking of turbos before it got banned what u guys think about machine tech vs driver skills . according to answers.com , turbos got banned in 1989 cuz FIA felt that driver aids is the factor of races being won , not driver skill .

i feel that formula 1 being the top of automotive races in the world should not limit teams in developing iaosjdisajjdlkajslja

fuck ive forgotten about ferrari's dominance till the rules got changed . owned lol

anyways , thats the fun of comparing drivers . like jackie stewart said in an episode of top gear its old drivers - less safety / harsher racing equipments and conditions vs new drivers - more safety / better driver aids .

links

1,500 RPM
May 26, 2004
in the past superb drivers like Senna can drive the 3rd class lotus, start from behind and chase all the way to the champion........it hardly happens nowadays..you wont possible see spyker team car to over take 12 cars in a race to get podium finish....

nowadays is like car dominate the race more than the driver....for example kimi, he was not even in top 5 finish last time in minardi...since he join mclaren the result totally different...

really wonder how BMW can built the m10 engine which screw a 1200hp from a 1.5litre engine and yet still can last a F1 race without blowing out......

prodigy

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
links said:
in the past superb drivers like Senna can drive the 3rd class lotus, start from behind and chase all the way to the champion........it hardly happens nowadays..you wont possible see spyker team car to over take 12 cars in a race to get podium finish....

nowadays is like car dominate the race more than the driver....for example kimi, he was not even in top 5 finish last time in minardi...since he join mclaren the result totally different...

really wonder how BMW can built the m10 engine which screw a 1200hp from a 1.5litre engine and yet still can last a F1 race without blowing out......
It was Senna's handling of cars that made him such a great driver. He was able to outdrive a mediocre car that made him such an outstanding driver. As you pointed out, he made Lotus look good. Besides, he's the real rainmaster. I watched a couple of clips of him in the rain and in Monaco, he's just the best in rain. And of coz not forgetting Donnington 93 where he started 5th and within half a lap, he was already leading the race.

As for Kimi, he started off with Sauber Petronas. He had no F1 experience whatsoever and only had a few races in some Formula which i forgotten. What made him so special was his raw talent and speed. He was super quick, super calm and doesn't make mistakes. That was what Peter Sauber saw in him and Sauber didn't even think twice before signing him on and fighting so hard to get Kimi's super licence. I think the FIA even gave Kimi a probation period of a few races and he must not make any mistake that would make FIA pull his probationary licence away. At the end of the day, he passed the test with flying colors and was given the super licence under special circumstances. If not mistaken, Kimi actually scored points in his debut race in Melbourne. He was so highly rated that Mclaren's boss, Ron Dennis actually signed him up and paid some 10 million for his release clause.

prodigy

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
It was probably one of those Finnish connections. I'm sure Ron Dennis didn't need Mika's advice to know that Kimi is quick. It was pretty obvious Kimi was quick straight out of the box. He's such a calm figure but he somehow lacks good luck.

butthead

2,000 RPM
Aug 12, 2004
links said:

i think BMW were able to pump out about 1500BHP in qualifying trim at max during the benetton years...

1200BHP is not a problem on a race car... it is a mather of finding the right material and compromise the rest like reliability and fuel consumption... it is not the same as trying to push a 2 litre road car engine to produce 600BHp by modifying it... those engines were built from scratch to produce that amount of power....it is not hard to believe as top fuel dragsters could produce in the range of 7000BHPs i heard... and not to mention in the old days they used to have 220 litre fuel tanks...

it is hard to explain how Senna manage those positions...but Sennas lotus still isn't a Spyker or Minardi ain't it..

butthead

2,000 RPM
Aug 12, 2004
Daniel Lee said:
That time, those engines spiced up the race. Too bad turbo was banned later....:Not_Impressed:
too dangerous... drivers blacking out in mid-turns

infernaL said:
my bad , read the posts before rather promptly . btw speaking of turbos before it got banned what u guys think about machine tech vs driver skills . according to answers.com , turbos got banned in 1989 cuz FIA felt that driver aids is the factor of races being won , not driver skill .

i feel that formula 1 being the top of automotive races in the world should not limit teams in developing iaosjdisajjdlkajslja

fuck ive forgotten about ferrari's dominance till the rules got changed . owned lol

anyways , thats the fun of comparing drivers . like jackie stewart said in an episode of top gear its old drivers - less safety / harsher racing equipments and conditions vs new drivers - more safety / better driver aids .
machine tech is a must for F1 to continue developing... driver aids on the other hand is not really important...turbos were banned because the cars got too scary... imagine driving a drag racer on the track...hehehhe

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

The late 80s and early and mid 90s are considered to be the 'golden era of motorsport', in the world of four wheels Ayrton Senna was amazing the world with his magic and a manufacturers war at the Deutsche Tourenwagen Masters between Mercedes and BMW created a cult following that is still alive today.

Over the years there have been plenty of videos celebrating this 'golden era of DTM' racing and a number of...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience