What do you think about Schumi's actions in Monaco???

butthead

2,000 RPM
Aug 12, 2004
although he had put down a stunning performance in Monaco...his actions were critisized even by his teammate and younger brother...

his overtaking maneuvers on Rubens and Ralf were arguable and there is nothing wrong from my perspective of racing... but his actions of trying to put the race to a halt was jus too much...it was almost a repeat of what he did in Austria A1 ring several years ago when a Jordan crashed onto Michael...

what do you guys think... some in the media even voted for him as star of the race...

prodigy

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
i actually didn't see how did he overtook rubens but schumi is no stranger to controversials. he's very well known to do some crazy ass manouvre that'll bump him up a position or even win him the title. in year 1995, the last race of the season, he actually "bumped" damon hill out of the race to win his second WDC. the marshalls ruled out any foul play but looking back at his manouvre, there was no way he could've overtook hill but they dismissed it as 'racing incident'. in 1997, again the last race of the season in jerez, he tried an overambitios manouvre which resulted in villeneuve nearly crashing out but villeneuve managed to continue and won the race and also the WDC. it was quite obvious that schumi made no intention to overtake but rather to crash JV out. he was stripped of his points that season.

i actually do think schumi is the best ever driver that have graced formula 1 but his unsportmanship at times just makes you think if he's a fair winner or not. guess there's always a dark side in everyone. however, sometimes u just got to look at the way he drives the car. he's driving skills is almost perfect. driving lines are great, car control absolutely perfect and he's got great leadership too. ferrari's success is attributed to schumi. its no surprise if ferrari are no longer competetive when schumi retires.

butthead

2,000 RPM
Aug 12, 2004
yeah..his maneuvere on Damn Hill almost flipped his car over..those were the days when he was still young and hot blooded...much like Alonso is today,,,but he is more daring as he will do anything to win...i remember he went on to punch DC after Spa in 1 year where he crashed into DCs rear while in lead in a torrential rain...

on driving skills Schumi would only lost out to 2 people...Senna and Hakinen..Hakinen is superb when he is at his best...but he is not that a consistent driver than Schumi is...He might have done some bad things in the past...but this is now and i believe he is much more matured and calm in making decisions...that is what i think contributed to his WDC titles...even Ferrari owes him for his efforts...

cyclonite

500 RPM
Nov 27, 2003
I think his move on his brother and rubens was ok. Monaco is such a tight track and that's probably the only chance of overtaking. Also, it's ok to risk such moves at the last min because you can still get pass the finish line even though you break your wing or suspension, you can still crawl pass to take your position. So it was a wise calculated risk in my opinion.

butthead

2,000 RPM
Aug 12, 2004
cyclonite said:
I think his move on his brother and rubens was ok. Monaco is such a tight track and that's probably the only chance of overtaking. Also, it's ok to risk such moves at the last min because you can still get pass the finish line even though you break your wing or suspension, you can still crawl pass to take your position. So it was a wise calculated risk in my opinion.
his move was definitely risky...but that was what got him his placing...but after reviewing it again yesterday night...he did push a bit too hard..he was still accelerating quite hardly some distance after the flag...Ralf was so shocked his brother was beside him he swereved off immediately avoiding a crash...couldn't blame him for critisizing his actions...

talking bout calculated risks...the move Jarno Trulli did on the hairpin was jus plain stupid compared to MIchael's one...i wonder he did that on intention of overtaking or he had braking problems...he was practically flying over the curbing...the TV showed the Toyota pit crew right after Jarno did that move..they were either punching the air or their fellow pit crews...i wonder what happened after they knew Jarno were to come in...too bad the TV never showed tht part...

cyclonite

500 RPM
Nov 27, 2003
yah Jarno was crazy man. looked like a desperate move to me.

kapitan

Known Member
Dec 29, 2003
Visit site
I dont think MS move on Rubens n Ralf look stupid...
I think his fighting spirit is more to admire than anything else...
Talking about stupid and hillarious moments, Alonso and Webber actions are questionable really... it makes me laugh out really loud... are they playing cat n mouse...

butthead

2,000 RPM
Aug 12, 2004
luckily Alonso and Webber did not get any penalties for cutting the chicance like that... they were damn lucky... and boy is Alonso a hard man to overtake...he is damn persistent on staying in his position...i bet he would have done anything to block if the attacker were Kimi...

kapitan

Known Member
Dec 29, 2003
Visit site
Renault traction out of corner helped him A LOT...
Its more of a car than someone ability... if Renault traction out of corner aint this good, I bet MS already overtake him liao lor... Ferrari unable to beat them also when it comes to that... MS can follow Alonso very near around the corner but when accelerate out of corner, its helpless to see a Ferrari being left behind by couple of metres...

butthead

2,000 RPM
Aug 12, 2004
kapitan said:
Renault traction out of corner helped him A LOT...
Its more of a car than someone ability... if Renault traction out of corner aint this good, I bet MS already overtake him liao lor... Ferrari unable to beat them also when it comes to that... MS can follow Alonso very near around the corner but when accelerate out of corner, its helpless to see a Ferrari being left behind by couple of metres...
yeah...that was the case back in Imola...furhtermore not only traction...MS also lost all his downforce when he got near Alonso...it seems that their cars is extremely fast when they are in clear air...

Furthermore Alonso's tyres got screwed up heavily during Monaco...he was practically wiggling all the way accelerating out of the corners...thus sacrificing his speed at every straight there is in Monaco...at that point not even Renault;s superb traction control could have helped him..at the end of the race even with Webbers crackling traction controlled 900BHP could follow close at Alonso's back...

tourist

Jul 8, 2004
prodigy said:
i actually didn't see how did he overtook rubens but schumi is no stranger to controversials. he's very well known to do some crazy ass manouvre that'll bump him up a position or even win him the title. in year 1995, the last race of the season, he actually "bumped" damon hill out of the race to win his second WDC. the marshalls ruled out any foul play but looking back at his manouvre, there was no way he could've overtook hill but they dismissed it as 'racing incident'. in 1997, again the last race of the season in jerez, he tried an overambitios manouvre which resulted in villeneuve nearly crashing out but villeneuve managed to continue and won the race and also the WDC. it was quite obvious that schumi made no intention to overtake but rather to crash JV out. he was stripped of his points that season.

i actually do think schumi is the best ever driver that have graced formula 1 but his unsportmanship at times just makes you think if he's a fair winner or not. guess there's always a dark side in everyone. however, sometimes u just got to look at the way he drives the car. he's driving skills is almost perfect. driving lines are great, car control absolutely perfect and he's got great leadership too. ferrari's success is attributed to schumi. its no surprise if ferrari are no longer competetive when schumi retires.
You made a number of mistakes in your post.

In 1994 (not 1995), Damon hit Schumacher when he was attempting to overtake in a corner, not vice versa. Schumacher had an off and banged the wall slightly before that collision happened. Some argued that Schumacher's car was damaged. But at the end of the day, Schumacher still has that corner, and Damon tried to overtake from the inside, and they collided. Both retired. No one knows the truth except for Schumacher himself, so it remains as one of the most controversial incident in F1.

In 1997, again, Villeneuve tried to overtake Schumacher from the inside, not vice versa. But this time it's a little different. Schumacher tried to ram Villeneuve off the track when Villeneuve tried to overtake from the inside, but Schumacher only managed to hit the sidepod. Schumacher retired. Schumacher admited that his move was intentional after the race, and ultimately, he was disqualified from the championship with all his points stripped off.

So how can see how both of these incidents can be even related to the Monaco overtaking attempt, when both are them were blocking attempts. Maybe you can relate this to the Australia's incident, but definitely not this.

butthead: What makes you think that Senna or Hakkinen is better than Schumacher? Senna was from a different era, and the only championship they were fighting was in 1994 before that ultimate tragedy happened at Imola. Schumacher won the first 2 races, while Senna retired both. So I can't see how can you even compare both of them, let alone saying Senna is better than Schumacher. No comparison should be made in the first place. Both are fantastic drivers, but who is better, no one will ever know.

As for Hakkinen, what makes you think he's better than Schumacher, or even vice versa? During their most competitive championship years when both are having winning cars, Hakkinen won the championship in 1998 and 1999, and Schumacher won in 2000, and 2001 before Hakkinen retired. Stats wise, both are similar. But they were never in the same car to evaluate their true skills. So how did you end up with such biased conclusion is beyond me.

If you have seen Murray Walker's Greatest F1 driver, Hakkinen is not even in the Top 10 list, while both Senna and Schumacher was in the Top 10. Then again Murray's opinion can be biased, but if there's one opinion I would listen to, it has to be his. With such huge experience in F1, he began commentating since the beginning of F1 in 1950.

butthead

2,000 RPM
Aug 12, 2004
wow...seems like someone is a big Schumi fan...

i know i had no rights nor any sources of comparing Schumacher to both Hakinen and Senna..but i do believe Hakinen is at least as good as Michael when he is in his right mood...the reason i believe Hakinen is a better driver than Schumacher is will and his willingness to push his limits...if u were familliar with the old 12 lap qualifying system...it would be fun to watch schumacher and Hakinen outqualify each other when they are at their best...everytime one of them goes and do a flying lap...they would either better the oponent by 10 or 1000s of a second...that is how close their qualifying gap is...compared to the drivers of today...regardless of qualifying format...i do believe they can't archieve what Hakinen and Schumacher did...jus wathcing obth of them qualify is jus breathtaking and very nervous especially u are a big fan of one the the 2 drivers...

and talking bout their cars...Ferrari and McLaren at that time are quite equal...both had their performance advantages and their reliability issues..

as for Senna i can't comment much bout it asi not really into F1 at that time...but from whati have read ... his fights with Alan Prost is somewhat as complicated as Schumacher and Hakinnen...

evo3

1,500 RPM
Jul 2, 2004
Visit site
yeah...look like a BIG schumi fan...hehehe

F1 are at it best when Schumi and Hakinnen is figting each others....

Now also good but don like the new rules....no tyre changing, boring qualifying....

in all the effort of the FIA to slow down the cars with grooved tyre, aero dynamics, and so on, surprisily the cars still go faster...hehehe

butthead

2,000 RPM
Aug 12, 2004
evo3 said:
yeah...look like a BIG schumi fan...hehehe

F1 are at it best when Schumi and Hakinnen is figting each others....

Now also good but don like the new rules....no tyre changing, boring qualifying....

in all the effort of the FIA to slow down the cars with grooved tyre, aero dynamics, and so on, surprisily the cars still go faster...hehehe

yeah...this is where their 10s and 100s of millions of dollars come into use...team enginners develop new parts no mather engine nor aero like there is no tomorrow even there is only significantly small changes to performance...all FIA does is to make life difficult for the smaller teams...once they get their car right FIA will announce new rules that would require them to have big changes and start from scratch again...

surprisingly was the 80s ero 1500BHP turbocharged 1.5lits could not post a faster lap time than todays naturally aspirated 3lits....imagine having todays aerodynamics on the huge powered turbocharged 80s machine...i think the drivers would even blackout on the straigths...

tourist

Jul 8, 2004
Hey, did someone just deleted my post?

I'm only stating facts, no biased opinions. Just read the whole post again, I won't hesitate to fire Schumacher if it's his fault (Jerez 97). I'm only making stupid examples on the stats to show that they are practically useless to determine which is the better driver. But your opinions are just too blantantly biased that I have to make this post. There is no way for you to compare who is the better driver, even if they are from the same era, same team. I'm not trying to prove that Schumacher is better than Senna or Hakkinen, nor vice versa. I'm trying to prove that there's no such thing as the best driver. Best driver in terms of what? Skill? Talent? Speed? Consistency? or any other reasons? All 3 of them are fantastic drivers, if not, there's no reason for them to win 2 championships or more. End of story. No bullshit about who is better bla bla bla. I have no idea why you came up with any assumption that I'm backing up Schumacher. I'm only backing up Schumacher here is because you said Senna is better than Schumacher. How many races did they raced each other for you to come with that kind of conclusions? How are you going to compare drivers if Hakkinen and Schumacher have different machineries?

Just look at Alonso, he has been so lucky in a number of races this season. Is he really the best driver this season? Certainly not in my list. Stats don't tell the whole story, luck plays a big role in F1.

If you want to look at the stats of highest winning percentage, then Fangio from the 50s is easily better than any of the drivers in the F1 history, including Schumacher's.

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Finally a hybrid not for geeks, and it's here in Malaysia. To be officially unveiled next Thursday on the 3rd of Nov, The Honda CR-Z is the hybrid world's best looking hybrid, has the genes of the successful Honda Insight and is very tunable both aesthetically and in performance...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience