What Type Of Detailer Are You? :-)

seech

Known Member
Jan 21, 2007
There was a discussion on another local forum on why most local detailers only show work being carried out on supercars and that it would be better to see an extreme makeover on a normal car instead...

I thought long and hard about this and this was my response:

After giving some more thought in this matter....

While paint is still paint, the car which it is painted on varies termendously!

We are all motorheads and detailers at heart and it is indeed a thrill to work on a million dollar supercar or to carry out an extreme makeover on an older 'non-super' car. :D

Me and my buddy KC started our detailing journey many years ago. You can check out all of our work on our respective blogs linked from our website. We both started our working on humble but no less important rides. The satisfaction from making things shiny was and still is the primary reason we kept pushing and moving forward.

Through the years I have come to realize that there are two distinct types of detailers. I categorize them as theoretical vs practical detailers. There is nothing wrong with being either one or a combination of both but there are distinct differences.

Theoretical detailers are interested in the tools. Whether it is the latest polishing machine, polish/compound, wax, sealant, and now coatings..... For this group of people it is all about the latest and 'greatest'. Many of these detailers are capable of great work but their interest lies in the 'tools' of detailing and they compare water beading angles, measure the gloss of the latest waxes and coatings, compare durability of the diffferrent products, etc. With so many different brands and products in the market there is no end to the search for the 'holy grail' of detailing and hence no end in their passion to find the next best thing.

Practical detailers are more interested in the results. Tools are important but knowing which tool to use and becoming familiar with it to deliver the results is what's important. These types of detailers just like making things shiny and it is always about the car which is being detailed. Extreme makeovers are always exciting and looking for more interesting and exotic cars becomes the primary focus. This is indeed a challenge.

Buying the latest tools or products just requires you to have sufficient funds to purchase them.

Convincing owners of premium or exotic cars to hand over their rides to you requires more than just the latest tools and products. They have to be convinced that you possess sufficient skills to take care of their precious rides and deliver the results they are after. That is the challenge and that is what keeps me and KC going. It took years of consistent effort and "Showing Our Work" to build up a sufficient reputation to carry out such work. The tools and products we used have changed over our journey but the results are still the same. We use the products that enable us to deliver the best results the most efficiently.

Ultimately, it is about the work..... Isn't it?

Comments? :biggrin:

DarkAccoon

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
I think I am somewhere in the middle but leaning more towards the practical detailer based on your description.

I love making things shiny...... shiny is good. But at the same time, given the chance, I want to try out new things, be it tools, pads, liquid or even a brush. The world of detailing is vast and endless.

Here is my point of view. Based on my experience, I started working on my family member's car for free as a portfolio. I started with a Savvy and slowly move my way up the ranks. What ranks..... it is something that is not spoken of between detailers but we compete with each other to get the better results, better car. It is the passion burning inside us that makes us strive to be better and better.

I for one do not discriminate against any cars. I may have done VW, BMW, Audi and a few more. Now these are not supercars but still expensive cars. But to me, these are the owners pride. Like the Delsol and Atos I did. Those are not supercars, nor is it anywhere near expensive, but because it is the owner's pride, I strive to make it so that the owner is proud to drive it out. Which is why I always give the most I can give and advice accordingly.

These are just my thoughts.

fishbonezken

Feb 13, 2006
I started as practical (due to lack of funds) to theoretical, and now back to practical because lost all the patience to do tests and comparisons.

So many cans of waxes that I've bought due to hype from different forums, in the end also never use. Shampoo is shampoo, wax is wax.
Get your process right and you don't need to buy so many different products that have the same function.

RM18.90 Carplan Polish will work just as good as RM55+ Meguiar's Cleaner Wax.

Edit: Besides good products, it's the amount of time and effort put into each detail that makes the difference.

seech

Known Member
Jan 21, 2007
I think I am somewhere in the middle but leaning more towards the practical detailer based on your description.

I love making things shiny...... shiny is good. But at the same time, given the chance, I want to try out new things, be it tools, pads, liquid or even a brush. The world of detailing is vast and endless.

Here is my point of view. Based on my experience, I started working on my family member's car for free as a portfolio. I started with a Savvy and slowly move my way up the ranks. What ranks..... it is something that is not spoken of between detailers but we compete with each other to get the better results, better car. It is the passion burning inside us that makes us strive to be better and better.

I for one do not discriminate against any cars. I may have done VW, BMW, Audi and a few more. Now these are not supercars but still expensive cars. But to me, these are the owners pride. Like the Delsol and Atos I did. Those are not supercars, nor is it anywhere near expensive, but because it is the owner's pride, I strive to make it so that the owner is proud to drive it out. Which is why I always give the most I can give and advice accordingly.

Thanks for your thoughts. I fully agree, we are all driven to get better and better. I think all of us are always look forward to 'better' cars but I also think that like you, most detailers do not discriminate either. If the owner of ANY car wants it detailed I don't think I have heard of any detailer refusing to do so.... :biggrin:

I started as practical (due to lack of funds) to theoretical, and now back to practical because lost all the patience to do tests and comparisons.

So many cans of waxes that I've bought due to hype from different forums, in the end also never use. Shampoo is shampoo, wax is wax.
Get your process right and you don't need to buy so many different products that have the same function.

Edit: Besides good products, it's the amount of time and effort put into each detail that makes the difference.
Hey fishy! Nice to hear from you. :itsme:

:biggrin: I think we all start out as practical detailers... :rolleyes:

We will first try out the popular products then we embark on our quest for 'better' products.... :biggrin:

I fully agree that products are only one aspect of detailing. The time and effort put into each detail is much, much, more important.

SevenDust

Known Member
Feb 10, 2006
Morning folks! been awhile since i last posted haha. I started out as theoretical, trying to find as what Seech pointed out as 'the holy grail' of waxes, sealants, compounds, polishes, machines and the list goes on and on. But after a while, i realized that each and every one of us have found the best weapon of choice for our detailing needs after much exposure to a whole load of products.

Then i became more of a practical detailer, working with what i feel most comfortable with and what i wanted to accomplish. As the famous quote goes; "It doesn't matter whether it's a white cat or a black, I think; a cat that catches mice is a good cat". Cheers!

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

Still doing DIY at the bottom of the ladder, just to keep the car nice, clean and shiny.....:biggrin:
Yup, certain products used are still from OTC......:rolleyes:

jonlsl

Jun 18, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Its about 90% prep work and polishing and 10% LSP. Many people think its the other way round. Personally LSP is just there to preserve the look you created in prepping and polishing with some extra protection. So which type of LSP does it best? Have not found the holy grail LSP yet, all have their pros and cons, so its up to the individual, to the detailer trying to "sell" their product or the manufacturer trying to push their product albeit some with good intentions some with the intention of just making money. So choose wisely.

For all those aspiring detailers and hobbyist, concentrate on getting a good foundation and put in alot of effort practicing in wet sanding, compounding, polishing, cleaning, claying and all the "prep" and polishing work and the LSP will be a no brainier and the easiest part. Not to mention all the above with different types of paint will be best.

absolutegloss

Feb 10, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Theoretical v Practical...why the need to choose?

I think if you are armed with all the best machines & chemicals in the world but having the wrong mindset, incorrect processes, inadequate technical skills or just plainly do not have the patience and eyesight to get the best from those machines, then they are just equipment!

IT ONLY BECOMES A TOOL IN THE RIGHT SET OF HANDS!

There is no reason why one should not pursue the best and latest equipment, compounds or LSPs as there are lots of development, improvement and technology in these areas to help one get better results in the shortest time possible. Then develop one's technique to get the best from these equipments and you'll be a happy camper!

The real skills is to separate what's essentially bullshit marketing and what's the real McCoy, and unfortunately, these takes years of experience (and lots of lost $$$) to learn (the hard way). I am sure many here can relate to this :biggrin:

For those shopping for a professional detailer, just remember...BUY THE DETAILER, NOT THE TOOLS OR FANCY MARKETING!

seech

Known Member
Jan 21, 2007
Theoretical v Practical...why the need to choose?

I think if you are armed with all the best machines & chemicals in the world but having the wrong mindset, incorrect processes, inadequate technical skills or just plainly do not have the patience and eyesight to get the best from those machines, then they are just equipment!

IT ONLY BECOMES A TOOL IN THE RIGHT SET OF HANDS!

There is no reason why one should not pursue the best and latest equipment, compounds or LSPs as there are lots of development, improvement and technology in these areas to help one get better results in the shortest time possible. Then develop one's technique to get the best from these equipments and you'll be a happy camper!

The real skills is to separate what's essentially bullshit marketing and what's the real McCoy, and unfortunately, these takes years of experience (and lots of lost $$$) to learn (the hard way). I am sure many here can relate to this :biggrin:

For those shopping for a professional detailer, just remember...BUY THE DETAILER, NOT THE TOOLS OR FANCY MARKETING!
Errr... Never mentioned the need to choose between theoretical vs practical.

Was just making an analogy that there are those that constantly pursue the newest, latest and greatest and there are those interested more in the results of what can be achieved with the tools available.

Of course there are technological advancements and new products that make the job easier and more effective but the main distinction here is that for some the results are what matters and for others it's the tools that matter more.

Much like in photography, the eternal balance between gear and technique. Camera vs photographic skill. Does new gear make photo taking easier? Of course it does!

But does the newest and latest gear guarantee a better photo? In fact continually upgrading and changing to newer and better cameras may be detrimental in the short term as you will have to adapt and get used to the nuances and peculiarities of each new camera.

Same with detaiing, no?

As you said, "it only becomes a tool in the right set of hands".

How do you buy the detailer as you say?

Fully agree with you on this, not with the tools or fancy marketing but by the results delivered....

:biggrin:

---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:05 PM ----------

I did mention this in my first post:

"We use the products that enable us to deliver the best results the most efficiently.

Ultimately, it is about the work..... Isn't it?"

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
I love the theory of things as it gives understanding. I love the practical side as well as it develops the technical aspect. What can't be leaned in theory will be experienced here.
But I do get that itch every now and then to try new products... I guess it's all in us.

absolutegloss

Feb 10, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
seech, I am not quoting you nor my posting specifically directed at you per se. It is only a general comment so read it for what it is. I may be wrong or I may be right, it may or may not work for you, another person or another business. You should know that it takes more than just tool or good skills to get a good results, each and every time....things like mindset, attention to detail, and more importantly experience.

Either way, there is no need to get so defensive about my general comment. If I offended you in anyway, it was not intended so you should not take it that way, nor any apologies is forthcoming.

Peace bro...anyway I'm outta here... :vroam:

seech

Known Member
Jan 21, 2007
Cheers! Just sayin... :biggrin:

ronaldindin

Known Member
Jan 14, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
www.12bet.com

that's the passion! saw your work which is really good. Keep up the good effort

eohl79

Known Member
Jun 12, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
"Focus on the journey not the destination"
Everyone in the end wants a spanking well detailed car! Detailing is a combination of tools, products, technique, skill and mindset. This combination would decide the course of your journey to your destination.

New tools and products are mostly developed through technological advancements as well as manufacturability. Most are designed to make technique simpler with an easier learning curve. Some boast enhancements to improve the delivery of better results. That's for the better man. Of course the right mindset is still important but life just got easier. Sure you can stick with the current techniques but that have taken you years to develop. Do I still need a hammer and chisel to shape a rock? Of course there are lots of machines and products out there released every year, month and day. It is up to an individual free will to follow or not to follow. There are no limits to learning and trying. Of course technique and skill would need to change to cater for the new stuff. Sometimes discussing with fellow detailers and enthusiasts and asking for feedback gives new insight to new products. Weigh the pros and cons. You can decide to try or not to try. There is a saying, shape up or ship out! Of course not any one product or equipment will suit the needs and taste of every individual. We view things from different perspectives, angles and have different likings.

There are also times where there is a truly revolutionary product/equipment that is worth trying! Like when there is a coating that is really good, so easy to apply that even a regular joe can do it. Like when there is a compound that can give great cut yet finish off with very little micro marring. Like when there is a microfiber buffing pads and surbuf pads that gave new found cutting ability to DAs. Like when Rupes came out with the Bigfoot, now an easier learning curve with the ability of a rotary is now achievable in less amount of time, skill and energy. All in all in achieving a flawless finish! That is the goal. How about the journey to your destination? Theoretical detailer? No such thing! That's why the big gun detailers out there do not hop in a single brand! They go with the flow yet continually delivering good results faster, more efficiently, maximizing profits, customer satisfaction and continuous improvement in quality! A win-win situation.

Now for the enthusiasts, weekend warrior, noobs and not detailers. Most of us are just caring for our own cars, bikes, trucks whatever. Do we need to succumb to the "show me your work" mentality? Heck, what do we get from it, money, fame, glory? So we end up discussing more on the equipment, products, techniques, know-how and seeking for answers. Basically sharing. Does that mean we are theoretical detailers or perhaps theoretical enthusiasts? Not in anyway. We care about results too that's why we are discussing about the journey to getting there! The hell anybody else care because this is a personal goal and achievement. So does all the posting of super cars, antiques, classics, new cars in forum threads mean anything? If it is truly the work of an individual, well I will applaud his "result" and better still him sharing his journey to get there. Fantastic achievement. Posting by a detailing establishment/part time detailer/full time detailer I will simply skip it, ignore it, in-out as I see it as mere advertisement. A cheap and free way to advertise in a unregulated or poorly regulated forum. So go define the meaning of "result".

To me, a theoretical detailer would be a person who buys a product/equipment keeps it in the closet and thinks what he thinks it can do. Because until he puts it out there he can keep hypothesizing! And when he puts it out there he would become a practical detailer looking for the result he wants to achieve! Does he need to show his results? The heck i care. So stop all the theoretical vs practical BS. Think too much... Now stop all this philosophical mumbo jumbo.

muyo

Known Member
Jan 27, 2010
Petaling Jaya
For me. Im just a detailer. My job as detailer is to restore a car in perfect condition. Not to say 100% perfect, but is to detail to bring better result. People will always want a good job, it doesn't matter on how you market or how fancy is your tools. At the end we still concern more on the results. People will always wondering. . How good can you be as a detailer? For me, I'll fight for the little reputation to prove im at this level to bring your car to this result. Trust me, they will impressed.

Some girls looks gorgeous with make up in the club. Once they strip it down. You never knew she was like this. At the end of story detailers are just beautician.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Just wanna share with you guys my experience of an axshole paint workshop. :mad::mad::mad:

MK Car spray specialist
Lot 264, Jln Cheras Perdana, Batu 10
Cheras.

It is a workshop own by a chinese(MR CHEW) and a myanmar guy.

I painted my whole car there. Reasonable price but not perfect service laa.
After few months, my front bumper cracked and had some scratch because a minor accident. Went back to the workshop, was quoted RM180 by the myanmar boss for the repair and whole...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience