What MTB to get with a budget of RM1,500

eohl79

Known Member
Jun 12, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
When you wanna poison me? I'm free on the 3rd of Dec. I'm alternating between KL and Penang.
Oh please see got bike for my height of 179cm or not. Thank you.
179cm... need at least M or L size frame. Need to check with friends if they have a working rig. Will let you know. Also besides the bike, need helmet, etc. I don't ride with people without a brain bucket. I've a spare Bell helmet but my head size is rather wide and large. Need to get right fitting.

Bro. eohl79 is good lah! using auto detailing tactic here also. Let people try then kena poison....hahahahaha

Not sure of MTB but racing bike have frame for 6 footers. Bro eohl79 will know better.....
Nowdays there are 26" and 29" MTB wheel sizing. They have S/M/L/XL frames... so they can even cater for a Sasquatch

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
How big is XL frame? My son is 6'4", weighs more then heavyweight boxer......ha! ha!
Now, on normal MTB but manage to find those extension for the seat, so still can use....

eohl79

Known Member
Jun 12, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
How big is XL frame? My son is 6'4", weighs more then heavyweight boxer......ha! ha!
Now, on normal MTB but manage to find those extension for the seat, so still can use....
Different bike manufacturers have different specs, geometry of the bike. Some bike frame builders M may feel like an L to others. The simplest setup for knowing if the bike frame fits you (for normal cross country riding, not downhill racing, etc):
1. Get the handlebars to be almost the same height as the saddle. This is to allow equal weight distribution between front and back - ergonomic standpoint (less stress to wrists or backbone) and balance (front wheels don't lift up when going uphill and don't feel like toppling over when going down).
2. Leg extension - legs should be almost full stretch out with little bend on your knees when seated and pedals at outer end of crank cycle. Feet should be slightly bent with toe ball parallel to pedal spindle. This is to avoid too much pressure/force on the knees and best efficiency.
3. Arm extension - Depending on frame used, bike stem, handlebar and seat adjustment this would determine if your hold is compact or stretched out. If going uphills, tight technical trails, tighter is better. Stretch out is more relaxed for long rides. So need to find a comfortable position.

You can check the following link for sizing measurement as a guide (need to know both height of rider and height to in-seam as it can affect stand-over height):
Bike Size Basics - A Guide to Sizing and Fitting Your Bike

Having a too long seat post tube can be dangerous as it can snap. Need to have sufficient tube length beneath the seat post clamp point too. Too small of a frame with a too long seat post and jacked up handlebar would put your weight distribution to the back of the rear bike wheels which can make handling poor too.

My 2 cents...

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Thanks sifu.... Handle bar and seat are adjusted to maximum and yes, left enough to hold the post securely. So far for me it is okay, for my son still looking out and his weight may bend the long extension......

turbolover

1,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2005
I see some very nice brain buckets around. What brands are recommended?

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I think you did not budget for the shorts, brain bucket, etc., other then for the MTB, right?

mick87

500 RPM
Apr 19, 2009
wow, your son is tall.

mick87

500 RPM
Apr 19, 2009
Tall and large size too.......heh! heh!
walau weh, i just ngam ngam 6ft.

---------- Post added at 02:22 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:21 PM ----------

between, i saw Rodalink in bangsar selling some fancy bikes, did went in once. Price not so sure how low can nego.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
So I am still slightly taller than you....ha! ha!

TT with bro. eohl79, then go bike shopping mah!.......

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Family genes.....

If you means the bikes, yup I have 4 of them. Me, wife, son, and daughter, so all have one bike each.
Not serious like bro. eohl79, just for normal use only. So, all cheapo ones. The more expensive one is the Le Run by Raleigh bought many years ago. Original already with Shimano gears. Those days also RM600
The other 3 are China made. I think RRP is around RM400, but company bought some as gift, so I tumpang buy at cost at around RM220 each only.....This also quite a few years ago already......

turbolover

1,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2005
I think you did not budget for the shorts, brain bucket, etc., other then for the MTB, right?
Budgeted but never put in the budget for the bike. I du lan I go buy a bike with basket up front and a carrier at the back. Lol.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

My car were stolen today inside the condo parking. Setapak Ria Condo, Genting Kelang Setapak.
Suspect got stolen in early morning. Please help me look around your area, if spotted pls call police asap.Black wira/converted turbo engine ,white rims. Car plate "BDY 1946".
hp num: 012-6293940 mike
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience