What MTB to get with a budget of RM1,500

turbolover

1,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2005
Hi all. I'm thinking of getting a Mountain Bike. I'm a beginner of course. Can ride a bike but that's mostly what I know about bikes. Asking in other forums proved to be futile as they are kind of snobbish and think my RM1,500 is enough only to buy a kid's bicycle. I believe everyone have their own budget and not that I can't afford but it's pointless to spent RM5,000+ on a hobby which I am new at.
So can I get a recommendation of what MTB to get with my budget? On my list are a few I will list below based on the material of the frame which I think is passable and components used in the assembly. I hope some of you can advise me based on your experience of owning these bikes or has friends that used them.
Raleigh Elite pro-I like the shape of the frame and components are not too cheapo.
Rock Machine Thunder 70-US brand but made in China. Any idea about this brand? Not popular though.
XDS zer0 38-Recommended by an online bike shop.
Polygon-Recommended by a friend of mine(within my budget)
Corratec-Went to a shop and the sales rep recommended me that. Over my budget. Cheapest also RM2,200.
Thank you:adore:

feezdya

1,500 RPM
Aug 3, 2006
Pee Jay
www.takaful-ikhlas.com.my
consider this..proton MTB with carbon fiber frame..they are selling below 1k now..im using kona..so far no comment! best giler hehe

turbolover

1,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2005
Are you referring to the T-bolt? Full suspension right? Since it was manufactured earlier not sure the maintenance for it will be more.
Oh I just saw that they have another model. T-blaze. But not familiar with the components used.

Last edited:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
My friend recently bought one Raleigh Bike but not sure what model.
MTB, not bad actually. But the seat is a bit hard, butt hurts. :biggrin:

Maybe he might see this post and tell u about it hehe!

turbolover

1,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2005
Ok waiting for it. Hmmm seats can changed I think but won't be cheap.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Ok waiting for it. Hmmm seats can changed I think but won't be cheap.
Ya will, let him know about this thread, He bought roughly around 1K+ if not wrong,
since is also still within ur budget. :smile:

eohl79

Known Member
Jun 12, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Bro turbolover, I am a MTB kaki. Can help you out here a bit. First of all, what do you intend to do with the MTB? Real off roading or leisure ride around the road/park? Usually with a tight budget like that, I would build up my own bike instead and source parts/frame from eBay (new parts mostly from China/Taiwan). That's what I did.

For real off-roading you would need better parts and also protective gears and accessories. Helmet, gloves, cycling shoes, etc. I started off many-many years back with a RM1.4k bike but it started falling apart when you go for some real off road action. Better to save a little more to avoid wasting money in low quality components. Besides that, you need a bike that fits your body geometry too.

turbolover

1,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2005
Bro turbolover, I am a MTB kaki. Can help you out here a bit. First of all, what do you intend to do with the MTB? Real off roading or leisure ride around the road/park? Usually with a tight budget like that, I would build up my own bike instead and source parts/frame from eBay (new parts mostly from China/Taiwan). That's what I did.

For real off-roading you would need better parts and also protective gears and accessories. Helmet, gloves, cycling shoes, etc. I started off many-many years back with a RM1.4k bike but it started falling apart when you go for some real off road action. Better to save a little more to avoid wasting money in low quality components. Besides that, you need a bike that fits your body geometry too.
Hmm I have not thought about venturing into off road yet but may try if I have the opportunity. Furthermore by going off road I need to transport the bike which I read somewhere it's illegal unless you get it approve by JPJ. I may try out and if I really like the sport then only will I spent a bit more.
If indeed I have to spent more, care to elaborate on which part? Say for example like frame or something else? Yes, I'm aware that the bike needs to suit my body geometry. If you say that I need to start saving more, how much do you think it's enough? I also gather putting together parts are cheaper than buying a whole bike?

mick87

500 RPM
Apr 19, 2009
Ya will, let him know about this thread, He bought roughly around 1K+ if not wrong,
since is also still within ur budget. :smile:
HI, im also a beginner. This is the one that i bought a couple months ago.
COMP || raleigh.my

---------- Post added at 02:45 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:44 PM ----------

is the Diablo Pro, u can look around.

turbolover

1,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2005
HI, im also a beginner. This is the one that i bought a couple months ago.
COMP || raleigh.my

---------- Post added at 02:45 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:44 PM ----------

is the Diablo Pro, u can look around.
How is Raleigh compared to other brands? Have to tried others?

mick87

500 RPM
Apr 19, 2009
How is Raleigh compared to other brands? Have to tried others?
i hv not try others yet, i can say if u hv a tight budget. This is the right choice, i bought it way cheaper than this and brought it to FRIM for a ride. Quite good butis only 21 speed. :proud:

turbolover

1,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2005
i hv not try others yet, i can say if u hv a tight budget. This is the right choice, i bought it way cheaper than this and brought it to FRIM for a ride. Quite good butis only 21 speed. :proud:
Can PM me the damage for your bike and where you got it from? Thanks.

---------- Post added at 03:03 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:00 PM ----------

Oh ya Mick. How heavy is your bike?

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Turbolover, going off road don't need JPJ paper...my brother is a avid MTB kaki..he got 3 bikes...not that expensive for the bikes...what he does is he use my pickup to transport the bike if the distance is far then a group of them will park their car at 1 site then ride into the jungle by bike..

Polygon is a nice bike....my brother have one...Aluminium frame and light weight also. Not expensive.

At 1st I thought, MTB is cheap to play but boy was I wrong....some of the parts on my bros bike is as expensive as my car's aftermarket parts...especially those carbon fiber stuff....can say he's a crazy MTB kaki....He told me he had already spent about 1.5K on aftermarket parts....like those FSA carbon fiber parts..Epicon front fork with remote speed lock..SHIMANO wheel hubs and gears aftermarket disc brakes front and rear....this and that.....then he got those 661 helmet and a full face helmets...acc....I hear also want to faint already....@_@

Turbolover, my bro frequent this shop a lot..as most of his parts are from this shop. It's in Senawang...the owner is a nice guy Jeffrey..
http://mybicyclestation.com/

Last edited:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
I think I fell in love with the Enduro Pro LOL! :laugh:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Guyz, im getting bonus, and planning to convert my gen2 to gsr manual or tiptronic, wat is ur suggestion when im gonna ransplant, wat would u do? wat would u service on the engine? wat's the horsepower on wheels anywayz, and where can i do ceramic coating? thanks!

i might mod stuff like
1. Intercooler
2. Header with wastegate
3. Blow off valve
4. Afc neo
5. 3inch exhaust all the way
6. apexi intake open pod

any more recommendations? and abit more questions

im using air bags, can i...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience