What Car ? Why ?

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
I prefer the sound of misfire instead :biggrin:
Anti-lag system is not good for the engine's lifespan.... :biggrin:
Correct me if I am wrong.

Not all vent to atmo, I remember when I was in Japan the RX7 FD that was borrowed to me don't vent to atmo. It was pushing out 500hp Then the Evo that I bought over from a girl also don't have vent to atmo BOV it was pushing out 450hp.

Look at Alpha's R35 I also can't hear the BOV sound...
Means BOV is for the fun of the sound only?

Recirculating is better IMO. Vent to atmosphere is to show off only. And turbocharged WRC cars don't use BOVs.

So where did the TS go
WRC Evo and Impreza have some sort of sound when they release their throttle. Is it the sound of their turbine spooling?

Original usually not vent to atmosphere. Is the after market ones. My VR original also vent back to system...:driver:
Then now you are using original or after market ones? :biggrin:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008

WRC Evo and Impreza have some sort of sound when they release their throttle. Is it the sound of their turbine spooling?

No idea. But vr2turbo's VR maybe he didnt tekan, didnt hear kepish kepish :rofl:

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005

ALS aka Antilag system this is a more appropriate name for the system. There are mainly 2 types that I know of A) ignition delay method and B) By pass valve method

A) Ignition timing delay is very simple, the ECU is programmed to delay the ignition of the AF mixture during the power stroke. It will only combust the AF mixture when the piston is half way down before reaching the BDC and comes to exhaust stroke the combusted AF mixture which is very hot will spin the exhaust fin.

B) By Pass Valve method, this one need some hardware setup. Usually the BPV dumps the air into the Atmo or recirculate it but we route the vent air into the exhaust manifold. The ECU is program to still inject AF mixture into the CC even when the throttle is closed so you will get a very rich mixture, then this rich mixture is push out of the exhaust valve and meet up with the vented air inside the exhaust manifold and ignite from there causing a pressure build up that would keep the turbo spinning.

The use of ALS is to avoid lost of boost when the throttle is closed typically in WRC cars they have a lot of tight and sharp turn which requires throttle lift off before the turn but with ALS power is instantly available back when the throttle is open back. Because normal car you need time to rebuold the boost but in rally every seconds count.

Down side of ALS, very high temp and stress to the exhaust manifold, less engine braking, more stress to the turbo also but for race car their parts get change after every race.

For Rally cars, the chip chip sound you hear is from the wastegate since they are using ALS system. Real race car seldom run BOV on their engine because less part to fail and less worry, simplify engine bay, also on race car you hear more compressor surge sound because most of the time their throttle goes WOT.

For me, I would recirculate any vent air because by doing some I do not lost metered air. If vent to atmo your ECU will still think that air is inside your intake pipe even after you vented it out. Why that's also depends on what type of sensor you using.

Then there are a lot of people who mistaken compressor surge there are 2 types of surge off throttle and on throttle. Below is a video showing you the type of compressor surge that will definitely screw your turbo and engine..take a close look at the graph on display on the monitor.
True Compressor Surge - YouTube

This is the different type of surge. Off throttle surge
Litchfield Type 25 race car - YouTube
From HKS.
HKS BNR34 Driving Performer - YouTube

Last edited:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
ALS aka Antilag system this is a more appropriate name for the system. There are mainly 2 types that I know of A) ignition delay method and B) By pass valve method

A) Ignition timing delay is very simple, the ECU is programmed to delay the ignition of the AF mixture during the power stroke. It will only combust the AF mixture when the piston is half way down before reaching the BDC and comes to exhaust stroke the combusted AF mixture which is very hot will spin the exhaust fin.

B) By Pass Valve method, this one need some hardware setup. Usually the BPV dumps the air into the Atmo or recirculate it but we route the vent air into the exhaust manifold. The ECU is program to still inject AF mixture into the CC even when the throttle is closed so you will get a very rich mixture, then this rich mixture is push out of the exhaust valve and meet up with the vented air inside the exhaust manifold and ignite from there causing a pressure build up that would keep the turbo spinning.

The use of ALS is to avoid lost of boost when the throttle is closed typically in WRC cars they have a lot of tight and sharp turn which requires throttle lift off before the turn but with ALS power is instantly available back when the throttle is open back. Because normal car you need time to rebuold the boost but in rally every seconds count.

Down side of ALS, very high temp and stress to the exhaust manifold, less engine braking, more stress to the turbo also but for race car their parts get change after every race.

For Rally cars, the chip chip sound you hear is from the wastegate since they are using ALS system. Real race car seldom run BOV on their engine because less part to fail and less worry, simplify engine bay, also on race car you hear more compressor surge sound because most of the time their throttle goes WOT.

For me, I would recirculate any vent air because by doing some I do not lost metered air. If vent to atmo your ECU will still think that air is inside your intake pipe even after you vented it out. Why that's also depends on what type of sensor you using.

Then there are a lot of people who mistaken compressor surge there are 2 types of surge off throttle and on throttle. Below is a video showing you the type of compressor surge that will definitely screw your turbo and engine..take a close look at the graph on display on the monitor.
True Compressor Surge - YouTube

This is the different type of surge. Off throttle surge
Litchfield Type 25 race car - YouTube
From HKS.
HKS BNR34 Driving Performer - YouTube
Thank you very much for the explanation. So, talking about injecting AF mixture into the CC even when the throttle is closed, this means that cars equipped with this kind of anti-lag system will also have a rather bad fuel consumption as well?

The video of that white car on track, it sounded like it is struggling when it is accelerating after it slows down. Is that what you call as surge?

the BNR34 looks difficult to handle even in 650hp. For those who went all the way up to 1000hp, I'm wondering how they drive their car.

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Renesis, yup FC will be very bad but it's for racing use so...FC is not that important.

The type 25 race car was struggling to get traction on the track because it's wet. That video I wanted to show is the surging sound when the driver lift off the throttle. Similar sound you hear from the R34.

If you are not used to driving high HP cars then it might be difficult to control but if have experienced and very quickly can know the car behavior then it should not be a problem. It looks difficult because it's doing time trial so need to drive as fast as possible.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Renesis, yup FC will be very bad but it's for racing use so...FC is not that important.

The type 25 race car was struggling to get traction on the track because it's wet. That video I wanted to show is the surging sound when the driver lift off the throttle. Similar sound you hear from the R34.

If you are not used to driving high HP cars then it might be difficult to control but if have experienced and very quickly can know the car behavior then it should not be a problem. It looks difficult because it's doing time trial so need to drive as fast as possible.
But there are still people who equip road cars with anti lag system. Not sure whether are there any of it in Malaysia or not.

Is this considered as a type of anti lag system?
Bee*R Rev limiter launch control flames Subaru Impreza WRX STi Blitz Nur Spec R at night - YouTube

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
After market, but actually from chop shop, fitted when engine was transplanted.

---------- Post added at 08:47 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:46 AM ----------

No idea. But vr2turbo's VR maybe he didnt tekan, didnt hear kepish kepish :rofl:
Twice we met up you also busy with other things mah! Probably VR too old, looks too normal to catch your eye.....hahahahahaha:rofl:

---------- Post added at 08:49 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:47 AM ----------

Wa, you very fast reply at this hour. :biggrin:

Hope one day can witness the legendary VR2turbo's car in real life.
I thought he replied in the early morning passed midnight......hahahahhaaa:rofl:

VR very standard. Can say Legend coming classic already in a few years time. If coming down to KL/PJ let us know....:driver:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh

---------- Post added at 08:47 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:46 AM ----------

Twice we met up you also busy with other things mah! Probably VR too old, looks too normal to catch your eye.....hahahahahaha:rofl:

---------- Post added at 08:49 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:47 AM ----------

I thought he replied in the early morning passed midnight......hahahahhaaa:rofl:

VR very standard. Can say Legend coming classic already in a few years time. If coming down to KL/PJ let us know....:driver:
Haha, nice. That means your car has that kepish kepish sound. :biggrin:

VR now quite rare already I think. I find myself encountering more Evos around the road than VR. Very rarely I get to see a VR out there.

Yeah, sure. If I'm coming down to KL/PJ, I'll let you all know. :biggrin:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
But there are still people who equip road cars with anti lag system. Not sure whether are there any of it in Malaysia or not.

Bee*R Rev limiter launch control flames Subaru Impreza WRX STi Blitz Nur Spec R at night - YouTube
I only seen once, an Evo if not wrong with that misfire in real life other than the one in initial D :rofl:

Sounds quite loud, my mum was saying the car sounds like farting :rofl:
I say is hard to explain usually some performance cars will only fit it.

But rarely see it

Haha! Old or not no matter what faster than my car anytime...:rofl:

Last edited:

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur

Turbo will always be turbo. :biggrin:
Met you before also never sat in it. Tsk tsk. Only molest molest the engine.

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005

The video you posted is not a ALS system. It's a Bee*R Rev limiter mainly use on launch or to cut the RPM on certain settings to avoid over-revving or to maintain the RPM at a preset range so that no matter how the drivers goes WOT on the throttle the RPM will keep bouncing back and forth the set RPM. On stock car usually the fuel cut is when you hit the redline but Bee*R let you set when to cut the ignition on what revs.

Bee*R is useful for doing launch as you do not need to control the amount of pressure your foot on the throttle during launch because if rely on human foot we tend to miss calculate from time to time. With this you just set the cut at the best launch RPM, put your foot down and just pay your attention to the Christmas tree lighting.

Another use for this rev limiter is on drift cars, where you want to cut the ignition when the RPM hits the area where the car produces the max torque so that the wheels can keep spinning. The best example is Bee8R own demo car R324. They use it for drifting.

Try listening to the popping sound
Bee-R Skyline R324 Drifting @ Silverstone - YouTube

http://youtu.be/aclID5BNP4s

Last edited:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
I only seen once, an Evo if not wrong with that misfire in real life other than the one in initial D :rofl:

Sounds quite loud, my mum was saying the car sounds like farting :rofl:
I say is hard to explain usually some performance cars will only fit it.

But rarely see it

Haha! Old or not no matter what faster than my car anytime...:rofl:
Sounds cool to witness it in real life.
VR is old but still using 4G63T. More than half of the normal cars on the road is also not as fast as VR. :biggrin:

The video you posted is not a ALS system. It's a Bee*R Rev limiter mainly use on launch or to cut the RPM on certain settings to avoid over-revving or to maintain the RPM at a preset range so that no matter how the drivers goes WOT on the throttle the RPM will keep bouncing back and forth the set RPM. On stock car usually the fuel cut is when you hit the redline but Bee*R let you set when to cut the ignition on what revs.

Bee*R is useful for doing launch as you do not need to control the amount of pressure your foot on the throttle during launch because if rely on human foot we tend to miss calculate from time to time. With this you just set the cut at the best launch RPM, put your foot down and just pay your attention to the Christmas tree lighting.

Another use for this rev limiter is on drift cars, where you want to cut the ignition when the RPM hits the area where the car produces the max torque so that the wheels can keep spinning. The best example is Bee8R own demo car R324. They use it for drifting.

Try listening to the popping sound
Bee-R Skyline R324 Drifting @ Silverstone - YouTube

D1
I got it now. Then that means the flame on the exhaust is another add on feature or is it related to the Bee*R Rev limiter?

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Sounds cool to witness it in real life.
VR is old but still using 4G63T. More than half of the normal cars on the road is also not as fast as VR. :biggrin:

I got it now. Then that means the flame on the exhaust is another add on feature or is it related to the Bee*R Rev limiter?
The flame is the excessive exhaust gas & petrol directly from the engine because the exhaust valve close later, I might be wrong. Wakkakaka
Dont compare with the Johnson's mod on exhaust flames. Hahahha.

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

As enthusiasts it's our job to unload our wallets buying up all sorts of power-enhancing gear.It's why we work; it's why we save; it's what we do, and we wouldn't do anything else. But all too often, we dump our dollars into increasing engine air-flow and fuel delivery without completing the entire package. There are three parts to the power puzzle, and it's all too easy to overlook the missing ingredient: FIRE!. What good is cramming additional air and fuel into your combustion chamber if...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience