what car does waja design come from...

lostdesigner

Known Member
Dec 16, 2004
KL
Visit site
as u all know our proton wira design come from mitsubishi lancer.. and satria come from mirage version... so what does waja design come from.. or is it proton design throughly... and indepently... does the design have some cues from other cars.. so if any of u can help... i just want to know.. thats all.. thanx...

zan

2,000 RPM
Feb 20, 2005
ever since i saw waja, i cant stop laughing!! :lol: proton claimed waja is asia's answer to BMW. sighh...if only BMW have these 0 series.. (or maybe -3series)

no offence then to all waja owners, i do like waja. but it has so many design cues from other makes...

1) front nose (duck beak) is exactly the same to alfa 145/146.
2) headlamp shape similar to volkswagen bora
3) projector type headlamp is not new then...as far as i remember, it first appeared in 1990 nissan cefiro A31.
4) red illuminated instrument meter is similar to BMW. i think E46.
5) odd numbered speedometer is a version of peugoet 206 (launched in 1998)
6) speedometer is marked typical to european cars i.e. x 100rpm. japanese mark is x 1000rpm.
7) thermometer is also marked with reading in celcius degree. also typical european.
8) wiper/signal stalk arrangement also european type. i guess proton is trying really bad to win european market.
9) dash curved towards driver is nothing else than BMW copycat. well, nowadays manufacturers like BMW and toyota are back to flat design dashboards. no more curves...
10) thick A pillars are straight from BMW. views got obstructed, but resulting rigid cell...more safety.
11) wide angle rear view mirror is copied from BMW and Mercedez.

however, there are a few items i think originally designed by internal styling center.
1st is rear taillamp.
2ndly is the 15" disc brakes...i only knew disc rotors are measured in millimetres! 3rd is the funny submarining seats. 1st batch wajas
have these super slippery upholstery (maybe easy cleaning) and it turned out to be not popular...so, proton quickly change to cloth type.
s

he he how many sen haa? 2 sen ke?

juz my 2 sen laa..

CcL

500 RPM
Nov 25, 2003
waja was designed by a malaysian company if i've not mistaken
fresh from the drawing board and not copied

zan

2,000 RPM
Feb 20, 2005
Originally posted by CcL@Mar 8 2005, 22:05
waja was designed by a malaysian company if i've not mistaken
fresh from the drawing board and not copied
everybody knew waja was design from the ground up. those i mentioned are design cues... ha ha like gen.2 wau lookalike gril similar to vios.

fyi waja is 5 years old, but there are still no 'facelift' version. sighh...really unproductive!

imagine toyota cars..facelifted every 2 years. they had been praticising this since early eighties. for example
KE 70 corolla DX in 1980 later become corolla GL in 1983.
corolla GL AE92 1st come out 1988 (orange signal at the back), facelifted 1990 (white signal).
corolla SE-G AE101 1st come out 1991 (orange signal) then 1994 facelifted (white signal).
corolla SE-G AE111 1st come out in 1995 (orang signal), facelfited in 1998 (multi reflector signal)

even though japanese cars has short life cycle manufacturers make sure their products look fresh all time. so, our cars i thnik will last like volvo... so, why dont proton come up with a facelifte version? is it so hard??

facelift will do with redesign bumpers and lamps. no need for new doors what so ever.

this time is my 3 sen opinion... :rolleyes:

zan

2,000 RPM
Feb 20, 2005
Originally posted by thteh86@Mar 8 2005, 22:34
i do think that waja looks a little bit like the evo 7 and 8 series
true, true but modern cars all lookalike due to aerdynamic quests... ;)

zan

2,000 RPM
Feb 20, 2005
Originally posted by sakuraguy@Mar 8 2005, 22:44
waja .. comes from lancer cedia ... they have similar front cutout then malaysian designed the bum of waja .. ;)
correct me, but waja is totally designed by proton with assistance from lotus for steering and suspension and not lancer cedia. proton only sourced the power train from mitsubishi.

the secret is, if proton keep using mitsubishi design, they have to pay high royalties therefore the price disadvantage will be passed down to users like us. again, from my fren working at proton said...which is why proton keep the iswara design for ten years... becoz not only have to pay royalties, but must get permission some more. without permission, proton have to make do with existing models.

that is why dr.M urged proton to speed up their in-house design and the result is rapid prototype center and R & D dept.

and also the reason we get campro engines.. we need to do these or keep paying royalties to mitsubishi.

becoz of hefty royalties, our goverment took the step to protect naitonal cars by giving special incentives and raising import tax to all other makes.

sighh..pusing2 pun sama saja.... :(

zique

Kopi O Lesen Driver
Jun 30, 2004
Kuala Lumpur, M
mikeyip.com
Now, with the Government slowly "pulling out" the support they gave, Proton Cars might be getting more expensive than some of their better build counterparts from other manufacturers.

HEHEHE

lostdesigner

Known Member
Dec 16, 2004
KL
Visit site
so i guess this include gen2 also la... the design is 100% malaysian... right? including the engine too... and i cant see any similarity of the car design to other manufacturer..

boggysv

2,000 RPM
Sep 7, 2004
Originally posted by zan@Mar 8 2005, 22:54
and also the reason we get campro engines.. we need to do these or keep paying royalties to mitsubishi.
we do? :P

I only see campro tag, but no campro engine

boggysv

2,000 RPM
Sep 7, 2004
Originally posted by zan@Mar 8 2005, 21:55
4) red illuminated instrument meter is similar to BMW. i think E46.

6) speedometer is marked typical to european cars i.e. x 100rpm. japanese mark is x 1000rpm.

9) dash curved towards driver is nothing else than BMW copycat. well, nowadays manufacturers like BMW and toyota are back to flat design dashboards. no more curves...
dunno much about cars, but these are what i know

4) the audi a4 had it since it's launch in oct 1994, dont know aboutother car models

5) really? I only see those on merc , but not on my volvo n audi nor my frens bmw, mebbe i didnt notice

6) same as point 4

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
Originally posted by zan+Mar 8 2005, 22:54 --></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (zan @ Mar 8 2005, 22:54 )</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-sakuraguy@Mar 8 2005, 22:44
waja .. comes from lancer cedia ... they have similar front cutout then malaysian designed the bum of waja .. ;)
correct me, but waja is totally designed by proton with assistance from lotus for steering and suspension and not lancer cedia. proton only sourced the power train from mitsubishi.

the secret is, if proton keep using mitsubishi design, they have to pay high royalties therefore the price disadvantage will be passed down to users like us. again, from my fren working at proton said...which is why proton keep the iswara design for ten years... becoz not only have to pay royalties, but must get permission some more. without permission, proton have to make do with existing models.

that is why dr.M urged proton to speed up their in-house design and the result is rapid prototype center and R & D dept.

becoz of hefty royalties, our goverment took the step to protect naitonal cars by giving special incentives and raising import tax to all other makes.

sighh..pusing2 pun sama saja.... :( [/b][/quote]
just curious,
WIRA ,
exterior design from Mitsu, need to pay royalties
engine and gearbox from Mitsu, need to pay royalties

WAJA,
exterior design from Proton in-house designer, no need to pay royalties to Mitsu
Campro engine, no need to pay royalties to Mitsu

why dun I see new Proton new car price goes down? is it because Proton need to cover the cost for engine R & D?

may I know how much royalties that Proton paid to Mitsu? how do it calculate?
by car (WIRA, ISWARA, SATRIA) produced? or a flat price irregardless of how many car (WIRA, ISWARA, SATRIA) Proton produced? How many percentage of the price for the car (WIRA, ISWARA, SATRIA) actually goes to the royalties?

IMHO, Proton do not need a self-design in-house engine, because Proton sales volume is relatively small compare with others.And it don't have many car models that can share the same engine platform or design (just like Toyota Altis and WISH is actually using the same 1.8 VVT-i engine) , it will be hard for them to keep their self-design in-house engine up to latest technology to have a good fight with other. One good example is the VVT, up until today Proton haven't release the Campro with VVT capabilities (btw, really feel disappointed with Proton Campro engine without Camshaft Profiling). The engine R & D is a high cost project will definately make the national car stay high. just my 2 cents.

evo3

1,500 RPM
Jul 2, 2004
Visit site
Waja older brother?

oh by the way..Waja do also look a little bit like Lancer Cedia....

wirawarier

Jan 27, 2005
ya lor .. i also notice that waja's look is the same as a vw .. donno which .. either passat or bora .. one time i when i was watching a vw cup racing on astro .. saw a waja .. damn shock .. then after carefully see.. it's volkswagen ..
yeah .. the price should be debated la .. and the only reason i see for them to keep iswara in production is for price comparison la .. if they kick out iswara .. then they have to cut down the price of other models .. wheres supposedly it should already kick out iswara when waja came out .. my 1sen

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Must be automatic, cause my mother cannot drive manual.

Priority in order of importance
1. Comfort king among pickups/4wd
2. reliability/problem-free
3. fuel economy (diesel sure beats petrol right?)
4. power
5. not older than 2010, preferred if in warranty
6. no lite versions, or pissed down versions, the full manly version please

Please don't suggest Amarok, Cayenne or things that costs more than RM70k.

Mostly city driving, will modify it with bull bar front and back. Off-road...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience