Vote for 1.6 N/A engine

JINEIL2EN

Over 10,000 RPM!
Sep 6, 2004
Island Of Pearl
team99ers.2.forumer.com
honestly says, there is needless to compare btwn this 2 engine... every 1 knows the fact. if there some1 who drive 20V or B16, really kiasu & wanna show who's daddy's cock longer, pls stay out of this peaceful, meaningful & wonderful ZTH forum...

p/s: i'm not referring to my bro TR, coz the way he ask is more into the real & reality way, which not only comparing who have longer cock... he's the man...
just wanna let some1 know that converting a 20V mayb can conquer the LDP when night time, cos he got bigger ball & little brain, but not conquer the SIC. the best way, ZTH Time Attack or MME/1000km Endurance Race...

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Actually, I want to know what's the secret behind the reliability of these 2 engines. The design of the individual parts or the working of the complete engine and it's supporting components?

Jin, why you choose the 16V over the 20V? would like to know..

JINEIL2EN

Over 10,000 RPM!
Sep 6, 2004
Island Of Pearl
team99ers.2.forumer.com
Actually, I want to know what's the secret behind the reliability of these 2 engines. The design of the individual parts or the working of the complete engine and it's supporting components?

Jin, why you choose the 16V over the 20V? would like to know..
1st thing difren btwn these 2 r material wise in use, 2nd thing is both of those engine r mod from factory from early 90's or late 80's, but the B-series not really change a lot in their design, but improve in step by step, yrs by yrs. altho 4Age oso almost as same as B16 history, but they has been change a lot, mayb can consider more advance tech into it, but comes to 20V, that engine consider as new. toyota not really much focus on engine, but focus on how to get bigger power if compare with B16. so, thats wat shld says in try & error stage the 20V still at... B16 r more refine in balancing & smoothness revving focusing to get low friction to maintain the power shld it mean to out put... in easy explain...
20V got 1 main prob from its direct tappet, that really kills the performance it shld b... the more complex design, doesn't mean more better... u can know from honda engine... all just simple mechanical way... so, 16V will b more potential to me if really looking to cut the b16 out of league...
1 more thing bout 16V is, more aftermarket parts in support....

Last edited:

Newbienissan

Banned
Jul 19, 2010
earth
maybe can do some comparison peaceful. make it simple as below:

b16a - 6000rpm to 9000rpm vtec engage (using close ratio gear, 4th gear 180kmh)

sr16ve - 5500rpm to 8200rpm vvl engage (3rd gear 180kmh)

4age - (can someone fill in here? coz i knw nutzz bout 4age n it's gear ratio)

IMHO, the variable activation and the gear ratio is the main difference to compare. It may built to be an ultimate 0-400m, or it may be an all-rounder for track, or it may be designed for touge like the 4age.

plz corect me if im wrong :)

meg_omen

Known Member
Oct 28, 2004
Home - Klang; O
Visit site
1st thing difren btwn these 2 r material wise in use, 2nd thing is both of those engine r mod from factory from early 90's or late 80's, but the B-series not really change a lot in their design, but improve in step by step, yrs by yrs. altho 4Age oso almost as same as B16 history, but they has been change a lot, mayb can consider more advance tech into it, but comes to 20V, that engine consider as new. toyota not really much focus on engine, but focus on how to get bigger power if compare with B16. so, thats wat shld says in try & error stage the 20V still at... B16 r more refine in balancing & smoothness revving focusing to get low friction to maintain the power shld it mean to out put... in easy explain...
20V got 1 main prob from its rocker arm, that really kills the performance it shld b... the more complex design, doesn't mean more better... u can know from honda engine... all just simple mechanical way... so, 16V will b more potential to me if really looking to cut the b16 out of league...
1 more thing bout 16V is, more aftermarket parts in support....
new thing i learned from ZTH...:hmmmm:

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Jin, but the 20V was there since the AE101 and the engine was made with Yamaha. Plus the BT has even lighter rotating parts which reduces the rotational mass of the components. I think Toyota would have spent much time RnD on this engine since it also still in use in Formula Atlantic.Plus the 5 valve design increases the intake efficiency compare to a 4 valves system.

The B series are in the market since the end of 80s....I believe it has it's strong point. combustion chambers with a pentroof design, with a shallow included angle. This helps combustion efficiency, as the angle has a lower surface-to-volume area to insure that more heat energy is used to drive the piston rather than heat the water jacket. The intake and exhaust ports, as well as the valves, are generously sized and contoured correctly for excellent flow.

1 thing makes me thinking is that the 20V with its iron block and Honda with its die cast ALU block. Still Honda can maintain the block's strength. From here, I think is the whole working engine and it's pats that contribute to the engine's reliability.

correct me if I'm wrong..

BLANk

1,500 RPM
Dec 28, 2007
Sardine
www.zerotohundred.com
4AGE 20V got rocker arm eh???

as i knw...it rocker arm-less...because its run on direct tappet...cam lobe direct to the bucket tappet....the valve clearance are adjust by shim thickness

Last edited:

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
1.6 N/A is the best compromise between power, size, weight, fuel consumption especially for city driving and in Malaysia. Most also have huge tuning potential.

Performance 1.6 with modern tech such as cam changing (Vtec/VVT-i/VVTL-i/TwinCam/MIVEC) can provide a lot of fun when you want and still perform well and economically when you are using it for daily use.

Love them...

HKS-GT2835R

1,000 RPM
Apr 25, 2004
kelate
Visit site
(IMO) nothing beats a proper B16B. add ITB to it and it's even better!

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hohuum...............Gen2 with a butt. Nothing to be aawed about. Persona to save proton? hahahhahaahaha............side bets anyone?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience