Used FD2R or UNREG FD2R??? Please advise...

hys10

Nov 22, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
I am planning to get one FD2R but I am wondering if I shud get a used one or unreg one from mutiara motors in Johor?

Used FD2R:
1. warranty left 1++ year with honda msia
2. old number plate
3. high interest rates
4. accessories by honda msia

Unreg FD2R:
1. Warranty??? hmm... go johor repair??? living in KL...
2. new number plate
3. low interest rates
4. accessories are standard JDM... less goodies...

Both used and unreg about same price... 175 ONO...
Can anyone give some advise? Thanks!!!

chejeff

Known Member
Nov 3, 2005
I am looking for FD2R too. Contacted MM and some ZTH seller. Like u said, both also almost same price.

If i really have to choose between this (given same price)For me, I would prefer Unreg.

Reason
1) Your the 1st owner in car registration card thus better resell value(slightly better la)
2) Lower interest rates
3) Better support from dealer (owner won't give a da*n if car got problem after sales).warranty? yes maybe....dealer usually ensure car in good condition b4 sell (especially MM as I know they have good reputation)
4) I gt to choose my number plate.

Not necessary true
4. accessories are standard JDM... less goodies...
\

just my 2cents..... anyway, i am still looking for 1 that suits me.(budget wise)

Last edited:

Niemans1116

Known Member
Jul 1, 2010
SinCity
For used fd2r there is possibility you may get additional performance upgrade parts or upgraded ICE by the previous owner. For me its a good :top: buy if it is upgraded and provided the car had not been tracked or involved in any bang-ups.

Regarding nbr plates no doubt you may never get your desired nos but hey..its an expensive car, surely the previous owner wouldn't put in any zapalang nos on it..:biggrin:

klx

Known Member
Jan 19, 2006
Used FD2R:
2. old number plate
3. high interest rates
On the number plate, well, if you are lucky, the seller may be retaining the number plate, hence you can get your new plate. AND Even if the old plate is on the car, you can do interchange to have a new plate fixed. The old plate can be interchanged to a motorbike where you will need to purchase the motorbike Paperwork, which costs a few hundred RM. Once interchanged, the old plate goes to the motorbike and you get a new plate for the car. The bike is registered to your name, BUT you dont physically possess the bike because you only bought the paperwork for the interchange unless you pay about 3k for the entire new bike. This bike is then sold at a few hundreds cheaper, as its considered "used" but with zero mileage.

On the higher interest, well, difference has always been 1% between new and used cars.

As for resale value - on 1st vs. 2nd owner, well, this is a Type R we are talking about, not any ordinary common cars where the number of prior owner(s) matter. As an illustration, when I bought my MINI, i'm the third owner, and I paid 170k for it. 2 years later, the fourth owner got it from me at 150k. He could have paid the same 150k for an unreg low spec low mileage unit, but he has more faith in a used unit which has clocked 40k KM.

If I were to be in your shoes, this is what I would consider:

1) Possibility of future recalls

If you do not already know, the FD2R was subjected to a recall back in Feb 2008, and according to the recall note (which you can search on google), it affected a total of 5795 units of FD2R manufactured between 30 March 2007 and 28 Dec 2007. They have the following chassis numbers:

FD2-1200011 to FD2-1203565
FD2-1400003 to FD2-1402320

Now, if this recall happens few months from today, would your unreg. unit be able to get the recall fixed? Subjective as it depends on the dealer, but high chances no. Units from Honda Msia, regardless of remaining warranty would definitely qualify for the recall. Recently, Honda Msia/Japan issued a recall notice for their 2003 Honda Jazz! Thats 7 years after rolling out from the manufacturing plant.

2) Mileage & Accident

I usually take the speedo reading with a grain of salt, because you don't know what was the original mileage when it left Japan, and whether it underwent "massages" upon arriving locally. You also do not know if the car was met with an accident. But its easy to check for a used/local unit by calling the service center or asking the owner how much NCB he/she has.

3) A/P verification

Nowadays, some banks are very cautious with the A/P attached to "Kereta Import Terpakai" (recond cars) because there have been cases where the same A/P was used twice. Do you know that the banks continue to check on the A/P for every subsequent sale of this unreg unit? i.e. 2nd , 3rd , 4th owner's financiers will do a check on the A/P but the Same does not apply if the car was imported thru authorised distributor, eg. Honda Msia.

Anyway, just my 2 cents lah, dont get offended yah.....money is yours, and you know its a huge investment, so choose wisely. by the way, since we are on this buy/sale topic, do allow me some marketing space for my unit on sale here :biggrin: :
http://www.zerotohundred.com/newfor...-sale-fd2r-honda-civic-type-r-nov-2008-a.html :love:
I realised some of you have contacted me and view the car....all the best! Cheers!

:driver:

Last edited:

hys10

Nov 22, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
wao... thanks guys for da feedback... exp klx... so long of a reply... =D
klx bro... u sold ur car??? =) I am willing to take if u start at 170k... =)

klx

Known Member
Jan 19, 2006
wao... thanks guys for da feedback... exp klx... so long of a reply... =D
klx bro... u sold ur car??? =) I am willing to take if u start at 170k... =)
sharing is caring, bro :idea:

a few came to see my car last fri, and most have submitted their loan appln. not sure if approved or not, all the best to them. viewing to be cont'd tmrw onwards when i return KL.

if really serious, then you should start at 175k lah, not 170k. for the 175k price you pay, its peace of mind assured. no mods, no demods, no warranty claims, no accident whatsoever. Just pump petrol and drive!

Last edited:

hys10

Nov 22, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
nicely said brader... appreciate the sharing part...
so many ppl willing to buy at 175 ooo... good laarr...
all the best in selling ur car... i noe ur car is in good cond... but if ur willing to let go at the price im asking... just let me noe ya... =)

JLS703FD2R

Nov 1, 2009
JOHOR BAHRU
get used car better bro...
AP is a huge problem... but i think no doubt with Mutiara.co

second handed car cant change the number plate? gt this kind of rule?

i wish to sell my FD2R maybe... still in considering

hys10

Nov 22, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
get used car better bro...
AP is a huge problem... but i think no doubt with Mutiara.co

second handed car cant change the number plate? gt this kind of rule?

i wish to sell my FD2R maybe... still in considering
AP what problem? =)

Can change number... but quite troublesome looo... if buy sec hand i wont bother to change number of course... thats y i considered as cons... xD

Selling urs also??? let me know once decided... kakakakka...

redridinghood86

Known Member
Jan 2, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I'd go for a used FD2R, in fact both are used. If you buy a 2nd hand one here, you know the previous owner + Honda's warranty. In any case, if something goes wrong *touch wood, you will be able to know about the car's history, provided if the seller is responsible.

The imported model may come with a reverse camera as well, depending on the batch that you are looking at.

Anyhow, great choice at choosing the FD2R, although the car wasn't my first choice, it certainly made me love it more after driving it.

hys10

Nov 22, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
thanks redridinghood for ur feedback... =)
ur right... i do notice thats a pro for used FD2R...

I think end of the day... the condition of the car matters most... right? heheh...