Typical timing for street cars at Sepang SIC

cqloh

Known Member
Aug 1, 2006
wow... this thread is really picking up isn;t it?

i believe its quite possible for a street car (i'm assuming we're talking vtec here, since almost everyone here is in a honda) to do the same sort of time as an MME race car, keep in mind that you will need to compromise a fair bit (rule of thumb, a street car will never be a race car..a race car will never be a street car). the simple fact is that MME cars are all built to comply with a mix of group N and super production class cars.. so they have to run a fair bit of stock parts such as the throttle body and the stock airbox. they are also limited to tyre size and brand. most MME 1.6 class cars make 170hp at the wheels to ensure it can last the 12 hours..

a 1.8 litre makes 200 at the wheels with cams and a computer... all you need to make up for is the weight and the tyres.. i'm sure some of you already have stripped out interiors... if you can get the weight of the car to about 1060kg with driver and a half tank of gas you have pretty good chances in doing that lap time(again other factors are involved.. correct gear ratios, final drive, correct rim offset, good DOT approved tyres).

tecque: tyre pressures are dependant on the actual day itself.. but the aim of the excercise is to get the pressures to run in the 2-2.2bar range after you've done a hard lap, again this is also dependant on your tyres. on a day when the track temp is about 45 degrees (very common in sepang) i'd set them at 1.4 front and 1.6 rear on silverstone T5 slicks and with nitrogen in them.

jamesweh: most cars have that understeering problem with turn 5 and 6. but i think its more of a set up problem than a racing line one. 150km in a gti in turn 5 and 6?? thats darn pretty fast.. we're only doing 130+ in our EK...

tecque

500 RPM
Jun 29, 2005
sbn
Hardrace hard rubber bushing is the good choice ... :) got hard rubber n pillowball .. :) im using it , after install it u can really feel the diffrence .. :) superb handling.. :) u can try to call 012-2384627 (JOE) .
Thanks bro....
wow... this thread is really picking up isn;t it?

i believe its quite possible for a street car (i'm assuming we're talking vtec here, since almost everyone here is in a honda) to do the same sort of time as an MME race car, keep in mind that you will need to compromise a fair bit (rule of thumb, a street car will never be a race car..a race car will never be a street car). the simple fact is that MME cars are all built to comply with a mix of group N and super production class cars.. so they have to run a fair bit of stock parts such as the throttle body and the stock airbox. they are also limited to tyre size and brand. most MME 1.6 class cars make 170hp at the wheels to ensure it can last the 12 hours..

a 1.8 litre makes 200 at the wheels with cams and a computer... all you need to make up for is the weight and the tyres.. i'm sure some of you already have stripped out interiors... if you can get the weight of the car to about 1060kg with driver and a half tank of gas you have pretty good chances in doing that lap time(again other factors are involved.. correct gear ratios, final drive, correct rim offset, good DOT approved tyres).

tecque: tyre pressures are dependant on the actual day itself.. but the aim of the excercise is to get the pressures to run in the 2-2.2bar range after you've done a hard lap, again this is also dependant on your tyres. on a day when the track temp is about 45 degrees (very common in sepang) i'd set them at 1.4 front and 1.6 rear on silverstone T5 slicks and with nitrogen in them.

jamesweh: most cars have that understeering problem with turn 5 and 6. but i think its more of a set up problem than a racing line one. 150km in a gti in turn 5 and 6?? thats darn pretty fast.. we're only doing 130+ in our EK...
Thanks for sharing.. bro...
Previously im runnin 3th gear(in high rpm,vtec engage) for turn 5,6.. cos i got more traction wit it...I tried 4th gear, but my car feel like going to understeer..

jamesweh

Known Member
Dec 10, 2005
Thanks, an MME racer cannot be compared to a street car, I was with Sabert sparing with a Subaru STI RA on Turn 5 & 6. We were on a MME Corrola AE101 with a stock engine and very old second hand slicks and we have no problem closing up on my friends hard driving RA.
100% a novice like me is scared of braking on the front and back straights. But again after a few lessons from Sabert, I am braking now at about 150 meters mark which can still easily be brought forward to 100 meter. I am using a 6 pot endless brake system.
But one time I was braking at 100 meter mark, I hit the brakes and the pedal went down to the floor, I had run out of brake pads, I should have checked but I just changed my pads 2 months ago so I never thought that I would run out pads after just 2 months.
Now you can imagine how "Kan Chiong" it is at the 100 meter mark and your brake pedal goes to the floor!

cqloh

Known Member
Aug 1, 2006
LOL... thats a good one....
that gti is fast! Mr schumacher and mr hamilton must have learnt from Mr Chris GTI

Bump:
Thanks, an MME racer cannot be compared to a street car, I was with Sabert sparing with a Subaru STI RA on Turn 5 & 6. We were on a MME Corrola AE101 with a stock engine and very old second hand slicks and we have no problem closing up on my friends hard driving RA.
100% a novice like me is scared of braking on the front and back straights. But again after a few lessons from Sabert, I am braking now at about 150 meters mark which can still easily be brought forward to 100 meter. I am using a 6 pot endless brake system.
But one time I was braking at 100 meter mark, I hit the brakes and the pedal went down to the floor, I had run out of brake pads, I should have checked but I just changed my pads 2 months ago so I never thought that I would run out pads after just 2 months.
Now you can imagine how "Kan Chiong" it is at the 100 meter mark and your brake pedal goes to the floor!
actually... i'm an avid disbeliever in late braking...
alot of people say that late braking improves lap times... which is true to a very certain extent..
most people would have heard about late braking from F1 or other formula style races, this is because the braking effort to vehicle weight ratio is far greater than that of a saloon car..

WARNING: brain power required!!

think for a moment... the level of grip that your car has at any given time is determined by the contact patch of your tyres... that is.. the entire weight of your car resting on 4 patches the size of your palm...

for a simplified arguments sake.. we'll assume that we're on the main straight at sepang entering turn 1...because the car is on the straight, there are no lateral forces acting on the tyre.. which means that your tyre has 100% of its lateral grip available to you.. if you brake very early.. you might use 20% of the tyres grip to decelerate to corner entry speed... which means that you have 80% of grip available to corner..
now in contrast.. if you go in too hot.. and brake very very late... you might use 80% of that grip to decelerate.. which means you have 20% of 'cornering power' available.. thats fine if your car weighs 600kg and you have 300kg in downforce acting on your car... you can still make the corner...
but in most likely cases.. you would turn the steering and your car goes towards the kitty litter.. you curse and hope that you don;t get stuck...

i find that its very difficult for a driver to NOT brake late.... but instead trail brake into that corner.. the idea is to balance the amount of cornering force that you have available and the amount of time you take to make it down the straight...

our world is governed by physics.. (remember in high school)
F = ma

force = the force generated and acting on your tyres
mass = mass of your car
acceleration (in this case deceleration) = you're always accelerating in a corner because of the change in direction since acceleration is a vector ie it has a direction and a force..

so if you have tyres that can take 1.2 G in deceleration (1.2 x 1000 = 1200).. and your car is 1000kg.. and you decelerate at 1.3m/s squared... you;d overload the tyres and lock the brakes..
(again.. this is a simplified version with no weight transfer, downforce, tire wall and spring deformation taken into consideration)

i reckon i;ve given enough tips for today.. class is adjourned....

LOL

Last edited:

snx

Known Member
May 2, 2005
KL
cqloh, crazy la you with the technical stuff.

Anyway I think the late braking most meant is to counter the early braking because of fear. At first, it's hard to brake early or just on time for me. For my first time, I braked very late all the way until mid-corners. It was scary and slow!

Best is to brake early just on time, then corner with throttle, after mid-corner go full throttle. Doing it on Gran Turismo is so much easier. Haha. In real life I found myself braking too early already because of the first few late-braking experiences.

cqloh

Known Member
Aug 1, 2006
cqloh, crazy la you with the technical stuff.

Anyway I think the late braking most meant is to counter the early braking because of fear. At first, it's hard to brake early or just on time for me. For my first time, I braked very late all the way until mid-corners. It was scary and slow!

Best is to brake early just on time, then corner with throttle, after mid-corner go full throttle. Doing it on Gran Turismo is so much easier. Haha. In real life I found myself braking too early already because of the first few late-braking experiences.
hahah yeah people tend to fall asleep when they hear what i have to say...
but the business of having a car go round the track as quick as possible is as much of an engineering problem as building a bridge.. so thats how you should treat it..
once you know what the limits are.. you'll know what can be done and what can't.
thats why we always use datalogging equipment.. to see what the car and the driver is doing and how we can improve both.... the video camera is your friend =)

snx

Known Member
May 2, 2005
KL
I am actually very interested in the technical details. Hehe. Anyway how much is the datalogging equipment worth, got entry level ones? I am considering just using plain video camera but the mounting is really tough to do in my car.

I can't wait for the next track day really. One day isn't enough.

cqloh

Known Member
Aug 1, 2006
datalogging equipment ranges from 4k for an AIM all the way up to 20k for the motec ADL that we use or 50k for the PI systems that F3, WRC, GT and LM cars use. this is just for the logger and analysis software alone and excludes the wires and sensors required to monitor paremeters...
but thats way over the scope of a street car.

i'd recommend the AIM.. its cheap and its adequate for the weekend just for fun racer.
after that you'd have to figure out what sensors you need.

Bump:
FAst forwarded? tats F1 timing.....
thats why i said schumacher and hamilton learned from that guy..
of course la fast forward!

siputmagic

Mar 25, 2006
CQ, your team use accelerometer sensor altogether with the datalogging system? hmm that is why your team very fast in SIC..suspension tuned to the perfection...correct me if i wrong...

tony5050

Known Member
Nov 18, 2003
guys,

glad to see this thread growing. As for the timing, me too sick of waiting for the track days with transponder. One good and rather not too expensive device that's worth considering would be the Drift Box. Google it and you shall fins more infos.

Saw a few AFOS cars having it during their practices in SIC

cqloh

Known Member
Aug 1, 2006
the problem with sepang is that they never release a lap by lap timing of your car during a race... makes it terribly difficult to analyse anything thats going on..

the driftbox isn;t bad.. its a really good tool for street cars to use and improve on the set up...

but its just not detailed enough for a race car to use... every second counts when you;re trying to get from A to B in the quickest time possible :burnout:

tony5050

Known Member
Nov 18, 2003
cq,

agree. But most of the private session with transponder i went are with full lap by lap timing. But still, you need more specific data logging for each and every turns when it comes to serious racing.

As for Drift box, track day kakis like us might jst find it more meaningful then just thrashing our babies during weekends. Cheers

faisal

1,500 RPM
Oct 20, 2004
The Valley
ignition.my
actually... i'm an avid disbeliever in late braking...
alot of people say that late braking improves lap times... which is true to a very certain extent..
most people would have heard about late braking from F1 or other formula style races, this is because the braking effort to vehicle weight ratio is far greater than that of a saloon car..

WARNING: brain power required!!

think for a moment... the level of grip that your car has at any given time is determined by the contact patch of your tyres... that is.. the entire weight of your car resting on 4 patches the size of your palm...

for a simplified arguments sake.. we'll assume that we're on the main straight at sepang entering turn 1...because the car is on the straight, there are no lateral forces acting on the tyre.. which means that your tyre has 100% of its lateral grip available to you.. if you brake very early.. you might use 20% of the tyres grip to decelerate to corner entry speed... which means that you have 80% of grip available to corner..
now in contrast.. if you go in too hot.. and brake very very late... you might use 80% of that grip to decelerate.. which means you have 20% of 'cornering power' available.. thats fine if your car weighs 600kg and you have 300kg in downforce acting on your car... you can still make the corner...
but in most likely cases.. you would turn the steering and your car goes towards the kitty litter.. you curse and hope that you don;t get stuck...

i find that its very difficult for a driver to NOT brake late.... but instead trail brake into that corner.. the idea is to balance the amount of cornering force that you have available and the amount of time you take to make it down the straight...
Late braking is, even in a 1200kg Saloon car, to my experience, helpful. As in the Class A MME race car, I gained .3 of a second from braking later into T1 alone. This based on comparing my data with my more experience teammate.

However, I do agree, controlling/balancing the car is more difficult should a driver brake too hard, too late. Thus ending up going too hot into the turn

During trail braking, the key would be to brake hard initially to scrub off speed, thus enabling the tires to work better going into the turn. Personally I only trail brake in a FF car, preferring to brake in a straight line when in a MR or a FR car

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi guys.......need ur help a bit on where to find a 5 Speed gear box to be converted from a 4 Speed gear box? How much is da cost?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience