Trumpet install in BT engine. Tempreture goes up?

Sil80-13

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2009
Hi all sifus,

Heard that by installing trumpet for 4 throttle on BT engine, the water temp will goes up higher compare with stock cover with air-filter. Is it true?

Wanted to install trumpet as people said can feel the power difference on high RPM. Is it true & lots of difference?

corollagtouring

500 RPM
Oct 8, 2005
My suggestion try this first....
1) Maintain the stock induction setup...
2) Replace the filter to K&N but using the stock induction box.
3) Install a Cold air induction hose to the box...
4) Make sure everything sealed tightly especially the CAI hoses

The result u will have better top end feeling... i prefer this setup cos it wont suck hot engine bay air... and the faster u travel... imagine at 110km/h.. the pressurized air travels at that speed into your engine... that is why u need sealed installation... it is like having a turbo feeling...

At midnight runs, the engine enjoys really cold air... try to place suction opening at higher level.. too low you will be collecting sand inside the filter box.

i have no experience about trumpets... sorry if i am wrong.... but most said the:
1)Short-low rpms
2)medium- mid rpms
3)long- high revs

Last edited:

Sil80-13

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2009
Is that means installing trumpet is not good?

And it's better to maintain back original? Actually now I already have using HKS air-filter with air-induction hose to it.

Maybe some sifus can give some advice here. hehe. Better on trumpet or stay withmy setting now?

pcmoddingmy

1,000 RPM
Mar 23, 2006
www.pcmoddingmy.com
I'm not sifu, but I think after install trumpet (assuming open ITB), you tend to rev the crap out of it, which explains higher water temps... hehe
Quad induction roar is addictive and make you wanna pedal to the metal every time! So more stress to the engine and higher heat output, hence higher water temp.

Basically, I don't think your water temp will increase if you drive in the same manner, be it before or after trumpet installation. You can also install the trumpet inside the plenum (airbox) provided you don't exceed 2".

Sifu corollagtouring, I think shorter velocity stacks makes more high-end power vs longer stacks at low-end power. IIRC, Toda makes ITB for high revving engines with shorter stacks and most high-revving super bikes also have shorter stacks.

For more info on velocity stack: Velocity Stacks, Motorcycle Velocity Stacks (Ram Tubes or Air Horns) & Turbo Bellmouths

caleb_5375

1,000 RPM
Jul 21, 2007
i use BT with no ailfilter at all since i convert it myself in year 08...change to trumpet...use stock rubber trumpet and macam macam...i din face any water temp problems...i think ur frens was telling u that if u use trumpet ur engine will suck in hotter air.
opening the ITB with velocity stack or stock rubber stack u will face some lag in the engine as too much air flow in when u full throttle. u will definately feel the difference in the hot day and nite time when u let ur engine rev...the whole characteristic of the engine will change ....
the best for me is to keep the stock induction box and change the air fliter like K&N and fix a CAI for it...if u fix a pair of good cam then with ITB open and CAI beside will be good...
wan to know how ur engine will give u u need to invest and try it....dun scare u make wrong coz no ppl will laugh u...u will end up knowing more then other ppl when u try and try something...GOOD LUCK bro....

Sil80-13

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2009
Thanks for all the value information.

Finally I think will use back the plenum with my HKS air-filter & will try to mod a heat shield between the engine.

Maybe 2nd stage will try to install the trumpet inside the plenum & see any difference or not.

wfhan

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
selangor
Sil80-13,

can see that u been research a lot for the past few weeks.. u want to build the ultimate
SEG 4age20v ar ?? hehehe...

corollagtouring

500 RPM
Oct 8, 2005
Where's that Tokla when u needed his advise... sil.. PM tokla, chinozie and few members whom have done R&D about this things.. there are also previous posts you can dug out back... tokla knows more about the stacks n he is selling em.... what's important is to ensure every setup match with one another.. depends on your driving... daily or race... example.. the Blacktop have bigger air box than silver to match the Blacktop bigger throttle etc etc.... you don't want to match something which is not for it... matching the wrong setup will result sluggish response and many unwanted experience... I am not familiar with trumpets and sorry if my facts are wrong... but i know the pain of changing exhaust setup 10 times he he he. So if you could get more info.... you can save a lot by avoiding unwanted spending and concentrate on something bigger... high cams maybe? he he

Kudos to your effort, you are playing safe he he :proud:

Anyway, CAI is better IMHO, cos i would rather breathing soothing air at cameron (CAI) than getting air at a hot desert (open trumpet).... just my opinion

here is some opinions about filters...

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/

About HKS filters, the foam can expire and after that it will turn itself brittle like bread crumbs.... you will have to change it if that occurs.. if you don't when you open up your cam cover for inspection you might find some sticky goowy residue.... like Dodol..... cos the foam are sucked into and absorbs engine oil and become a sticky substance which mess everywhere.... i have experienced this problem...

Last edited:

B16B Corolla

500 RPM
Jul 13, 2009
im using KNN drop in filter and ori BT piping exhaust. Feel abit difference.
what else can be done?

chinozie

Very Young Member... :D
Jul 5, 2004
Damansara
4age20v.blogsome.com
Good day...

Why ?

1) 20V engine normally hotter then normal engine...cuz of more moving parts...20 valve in one small engine...plus it's a cast iron block...not aluminum...and few other stuffs...all i know is, 20V is hotter then normal engine...

due to that ...using open stail VS (Velocity stack) will prone to suck hot air from the engine rather then fresh air...especially during traffic jem...plus you have to understand, VS are used for performance or track and so...high revving purposes, soo there's not much power on lower-end power...

it's different from using normal open pod filter where the intake hose when a bit further down, passing the radiator hot fan air stream and sit behind the battery pack...plus there's a stock CAI near the side panel...

you can use VS...but due to humidity weather here, not very adviceable...perhaps it's a good idea for you to start using CAI, costume plenum like most big turbo cars used or do a splitter or a heat shield on it...

simple fact ...colder air, more oxygen...more oxygen better combustion, and better A/F ratio...as simple as that...

easiest example...the engine performance while driving in the afternoon and in the midnite...which on is better... ? :smokin:

2) if you using normal cheap engine oil...engine will have more frictions, heavy engine oil due to high viscosity...on high temp the engine oil won't have the protection for the engine part, more frictions happened, thus resulting hotter engine temperature and water temp...

solutions ? try to use a better engine oil...do a search on it...mobil 1, chemlube, royal purple, torco, motul turbolight and so on...do a search on it...

3) if you using toyota long life coolant...try to change it, let say after 3-4 times service intervals...

4) other stuffs you need to take a look too...thermostat, radiator fan, radiator water reserved (not too full) and so on...

that's what i can think of...feel free to add and feel free to correct me if i'm wrong...

happy forum-ing...:wavey:

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi, i want to ask u sifus whether all car brake hose connector are the same ah? For example, Nissan Caliper hose connector to Wira connector. Pls give advice. Thank you. :D
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience