Thoughts on possible old vehicle scrapping policy?

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

I agree. The best thing that they can do without upsetting too many people would be implementing a mandatory inspection for older vehicles. If they do a purge on all old cars regardless of their condition, that sounds like a very unwise choice and it might even cause an uproar among people.

One thing that I would like to ask you would be situation in Indonesia. What is the fate for old cars over there? Do they need to go through inspections or are there any kinds of regulations that try to discourage people from using old cars?
Indonesia has not yet implement such thing despite us having way worse jam and all! No inspection also whatsoever! That's why I see no reason for Malaysia to implement it even ahead of Indonesia.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh

parakey

1,000 RPM
Apr 30, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
even with such short timeframe within 6month tyre can degrade that much??
Maybe tires can degrade. These vehicles do travel a lot & often overladen as well. That's why most travel by night to keep the tires cool.

Regardless, such incidents could have been prevented. Should not even happen at all. Tire exploded when lorry was at the furthest left lane, causing lorry to swerve across 3 lanes hitting the barrier and crossing into opposing traffic. There's no way those cars could have avoided it. The first car that impacted (Waja) was flung aside like a toy car.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
high chance they actually rent good tyre for inspection

and after passed the inspection they put back their own old tyre...
You just answered that yourself....hahhah

Many Taxis do that. Fit new tyre after inspection, fit back old tyres......lol:rofl:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Maybe tires can degrade. These vehicles do travel a lot & often overladen as well. That's why most travel by night to keep the tires cool.

Regardless, such incidents could have been prevented. Should not even happen at all. Tire exploded when lorry was at the furthest left lane, causing lorry to swerve across 3 lanes hitting the barrier and crossing into opposing traffic. There's no way those cars could have avoided it. The first car that impacted (Waja) was flung aside like a toy car.
Oh, you are referring to the lorry tyre exploding case and swerved across 3 lanes. I saw that on news few days ago but din't remember what was it about.

Regarding tyre degrading, I think it is quite possible. For us normal users, tyres probably last like 2-4 years for an average user in a normal vehicle. But for these lorries, they travel much more often and longer than our vehicles, so it is not surprising that their tyres reached the end of their lifespan much faster than our tyres. The stress on tyres is also greater as well due to their heavy load.

During my trip to KL last week, I have seen tyre remains and debris along the road many times. This probably shows that tyre bursting or tearing apart is happening quite common on our highway.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
At the same time, there are a lot of poor people over there. Such implementation might worsen the condition for the poor.
The poor people or maybe kampung folks driving old cars, well, you make it tough for them, they just drive without road tax and insurance.....lol:rofl:

eques

Oct 14, 2017
petaling jaya
Part of me agree, part of me dont. Because I've seen a lot people neglecting their old car. Petrol car but grey smoke coming out like a 2 stroke engine.. But there are some good people taking care of their cars with sentimental value. Maybe they can do a yearly puspakom check and check the emission before scrapping

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Part of me agree, part of me dont. Because I've seen a lot people neglecting their old car. Petrol car but grey smoke coming out like a 2 stroke engine.. But there are some good people taking care of their cars with sentimental value. Maybe they can do a yearly puspakom check and check the emission before scrapping
If go by the book then okay, more checks can also means more under the you know what, then the actual car still not healthy......lol:driver:

mag9556

2,000 RPM
Jul 11, 2006
Indonesia has not yet implement such thing despite us having way worse jam and all! No inspection also whatsoever! That's why I see no reason for Malaysia to implement it even ahead of Indonesia.
agreed on you bro..
even 15 to 20 years car mileage still low in Indonesia thus want to scrap off, think that the G will be the 1st one.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
The poor people or maybe kampung folks driving old cars, well, you make it tough for them, they just drive without road tax and insurance.....lol:rofl:
Hahahaha, you got point for this. I think some of them are already doing it especially at very rural outskirt areas.

They had tinkered with the idea a few times before but never went through with it.
Sounds like what they do over here.

Before they start to act on individual vehicle, they should start with those aging lorry/truck/van/bus
Agreed. Better implement it first on commercial vehicles first instead of private vehicles. Most drivers will still care for their own private vehicles but as for company owned vehicles, I think not many will care since it is not their own vehicle. I doubt the boss will give much care to check the vehicles either.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Before they start to act on individual vehicle, they should start with those aging lorry/truck/van/bus
DAMN RIGHT!

And they should enforce those safety tyre gadget rings that prevent loss of control in the event of a blowout. It's in the market for so long and no one thought of making these massive machines safer on the road and only saying scrapping old cars? Dumbass ministers.

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
if read any current articles, one of the point to reduce dengue case. :stupid: No logic.
Agree if the car never move and rusted to ground, go ahead n scrap.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Heard from a mechanic, after drain out all the oil, it should be around 2 litres. If less than that amount, something is wrong at somewhere. What is the problem?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience