The Importance of having a thermostat

cuscostrutbrace

500 RPM
Jul 10, 2004
Is it good to have a thermostat fitted or not.I always hear from mechanics that in malaysian hot weather,we dont need thermostat,it blocks the water flow,he sya thermostat for cold country only,he even suggest i remove it,and i know some throw out their thermostat for lower operating temperature.But i still think thermostat are there for good,i also dont have any overheating problems.Should we listen to those mechanics

So what do you guys think?

dreamy

1,000 RPM
Dec 25, 2004
Visit site
wifout thermostat when u start ur engine at early morning ...its need som time to warm up coz ther is no thing to block da water circulation around da engine.... tats da point wifout

from wat i knoe
don shoot me if i m wrong...

if ur car doesn't hav anything wrong better dont touch it lo

cheers :_:

bretbaby

Known Member
Jul 8, 2005
Malaysia
hmm....engine like 3sgte...after i throw thermostat..d temp cool...b4 when d thermostat a still in.....more than half..yeah d only problrm is when u want to warm up d engine

jun709

Apr 30, 2006
Doesn't affect the performance of the engine w/out thermostat?

Acoustic

1,000 RPM
Nov 24, 2003
Hong Kong
www.my-acoustic.com
mine same like jun709. don't know why

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
FYI, d thermostat is there for a reason. engines works best in its optimum temp which is around 88~90 degree C. engines need to achieve the optimum operating temp as soon as possible from cold start up, so putting away the thermo is a really bad idea. by lowering the operating temp, ur oil cant give u its full benefit since the bigger visco number shows its viscousity in the operating temp. if u have any temperature issue, sort it out. there must be sumthing wrong wit ur engine, ie not enuff coolant, thermo's on its way out, radiator fan not switching on, etc. check them out one by one, starting from the lease expensive. sumtimes its just d radiator cap dats farked up :)

ae101svt

Known Member
Apr 28, 2005
KL
just heard frm my mechanic tat the function of our 4AGE engine's thermostat is a bit diff frm others so he suggest not to remove it cos it will cos intermittent problem like overheated.... if necessary just change to lower temp racing type thermostat....but i not sure whether he's right or not???

cuscostrutbrace

500 RPM
Jul 10, 2004
Well,i have never intended to remove it but instead i install it,since last time i'm running without thermostat,my temp is very low,only got to normal when in traffic jams,when cruising in highway,it goes down again,so i fitted the thermo and all is fine,but it was an interest to discuss this matter since i've heard many mech suggesting to throw away the thermo as it always causes overheating,and they say low temp is good in malaysian weather..

GT20v

1,500 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
Visit site
xtremeleo say it the best!!....
a bigger oil cooler also will cool down ALOT of oil temp and eventually cool down the water temp so the engine will not be in the 80-90 degree optimum temp..
but this 80-90 only work with NA engine.Not too sure about turbo :)

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
GT20v said:
xtremeleo say it the best!!....
a bigger oil cooler also will cool down ALOT of oil temp and eventually cool down the water temp so the engine will not be in the 80-90 degree optimum temp..
but this 80-90 only work with NA engine.Not too sure about turbo :)
bro GT20V : thanx a bunch bro :)

as i said, the thermo thingy is fitted to regulate temp to a certain value, the engine's optimum operating temperature. so, it is there for a good reason. overheating is caused by other problems and thermo is just a factor to consider. if u experience overheating, and suspect dat d thermostat is d culprit, den a simple check up wud be sufficient enuff. let the engine idle until the radiator fan kicks in. if it doesnt, den check all the relays, fuses, wirings, etc. if all is okie, den check the thermostat if its doing its job rite. if if can do the job, but not in the rite temperature, den a simple adjustment is what u have to do, or just replace it wit a new one. other den dat, leakage, radiator cap fails, coolant level, etc.

as GT20V said, an oil cooler wud be benificial for engine cooling especially for a high revving engine as the 4AGE 20V. but, one thing to take into consideration is the oil pump pressure. fitting one (edited) of this unit will drop d pressure across the oil lines. so, increasing the oil pump pressure is supposed to be done wit dis cooler installation. oil pressure is very crucial for a charged engine because if oil starvation happens, even though only in seconds, the turbine mite fail. for an NA, iam sure u dont want oil starvation to happen whenever u high revv the engine. FYI, oil starvation can happen to all moving parts ie bearings, piston rings, etc.

almost all engine have similar operating temp, just dat a charged engine needs to be cooled faster den NA because of the heat generated by the turbine. sport thermostat actually lets ur engine runs a lil bit cooler from factory setting, so dat ur engine cools down faster. fitting a sport thermo into a road car isnt a very good idea, imo. its to improve the cooling time in a race engine, which is alwiz high revved in races and generate more (not higher, if the temp is controlled) heat den street engines.

Last edited:

GT20v

1,500 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
Visit site
in regards of sport thermostat or lower temp thermostat,ive found out that we really doesnt need it even when racing a 20v.In my experience,running in Sepang or Bt 3 :) my car with a water temp gauge installed,after around 10 laps non stop..the water temp just stay at around 80-90c which is i say darn good already,fyi i dont have any oil cooler installed yet :) try changing to a bigger radiator 1st b4 thinking of buying lower temp thermostat..

wengfhai_5889

Known Member
Oct 28, 2005
Hey..
i can give some idea..
well i m driving a hyundai tiburon 2000 generation or known as turbulence..
hehez.

well i had experience with thermostat... with or without..

well without termostat.. no doubt it really increased your performance a bit..
really .. no lie.. really increased a bit..
well my thermostat was removed by my mechanic suggesting that it is okay to drive without the thermostat.... as when thermostat defective.. it block the water..
well.. thermostat need to be replace every 2 years..
how much a thermostat cost only few bugs less than RM 50.

well...
as a result my car without thermostat.
it cheated the indicator of the temperature..
sometimes water will not flow in the engine resulted it overheating.. but the temperature will indicated normal..
well...
i experience once when overheating until knocking sound in the ekzoz. and i still thought i was a spark plug problem..
hehez. feel foolish hehez.
then i bought back to mechanic.. he told me the car is overheating.. and the mechainc told me.. more than 80 % overheating are resulted from thermostate..
without thermostate the thank water will leakage and the radiator may blow up..
60 % radiator blown up was resulted from defect of thermostate

well friend
DON"T EVER DRIVE WITHOUT THERMOSTAT

wengfhai_5889

Known Member
Oct 28, 2005
Trust Me...
Don"t Don"t Drive Without A Thermostat..
It Really Make Your Engine Overheating..
Trust Me...
I Experienced It..

It May Be Okay In The First Month Or Maximum 3 Months.then You Experience The Thing..

corollagtouring

500 RPM
Oct 8, 2005
The conclusion is....

The engineers of Toyota have figured everything... the pros and cons of a setup
RnD have been done and we simply change it by ourself after a few minutes of discussion, this is a risk....

To be safe.... get a TRD thermo or other items if u wish to mod it your 20v...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

New Breed of Eagles – Goodyear’s ultra, ultra high performance road tyres, the Eagle F1 SuperSport, SuperSport R and SuperSport RS are now in Malaysia!

The SuperSport RS compete directly with Michelin’s Pilot Sport Cup 2 and was recently adopted as one of Porsche’s factory tyres for the 911 GT2 RS..

Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience