The End of Ashtrays and Cigarette Lighters in Your Car

keshy

500 RPM
Dec 12, 2007

Have you noticed the lack of cigarette lighters in new cars lately? Even ashtrays have taken a bow. Well it seems that car designers are facing pressure from anti-smoking groups, and the current “no I don’t smoke” trend has caught up with a lot of people, which is a good thing. That and the need for extra space to accommodate the list of things you don’t need, like four cup holders in the dashboard. Why the f**k would you need so many cupholders in the first place? How often do you use them in the first place? Car makers have found a much better use for all that space.

Soon to be a thing of the past?

According to the United Health Foundation, about 20.8% of the US population smokes, which means about 60 million people. On the contrary, Apple has reported that 100 million people have bought iPods, plus the 4 million iPhones sold and the untold millions of Blackberry’s, Palms, Razrs, it is really no wonder that designers have to sacrifice cigarette lighters and ash trays. Quite a good trade off I believe, I’d would rather have gadgets in my car to accommodate my own everyday gadgets, screw the extra cup holders.

Smoking can be expensive, very very expensive.

The dudes at AutoBlog had this to say, “Not that we're advocating the rarity of ashtrays. While a company like Chrysler hasn't put ashtrays and the like in its cars since 1996, automakers more likely to have humidor-owning customers, like Rolls-Royce, still include places to properly dispose of cigar ash -- and they're beautiful to behold as well. If anything, we do think it a bit unfair that some carmakers make you pay for your smoking gear, from $15 to $100 for a "smokers group" option. That just ain't right, since, like Vegas, what happens in your car, stays in your car”.

Gadgets are a much better alternative to cigarettes, the girls love it too.

Agreed or not, I still prefer modern technology to make my life easier while I drive, I don’t want my car to help me kill myself by lighting my cancer stick.

yayedr

Nov 28, 2007
good article... :)
ive quit my smoking habit for 26 days already...
:D

mind over matter...~

eyong

4,000 RPM
Feb 20, 2006
And so what's f**king wrong with more cup-holders? I can live with 4 cup-holders and they are more use to it than holding cups, like coins, handphones, trash etc ....

Useless Skylines has no cup-holder either!

lionelk

Known Member
Nov 22, 2003
DP, Selangor
Visit site
And so what's f**king wrong with more cup-holders? I can live with 4 cup-holders and they are more use to it than holding cups, like coins, handphones, trash etc ....

Useless Skylines has no cup-holder either!
Where got.... My skyline got 2 cup holders and 2 mineral water bottle holders... :burnout: Go... V35....

eyong

4,000 RPM
Feb 20, 2006
I guess that's why it's a V35, and not a RB26 ... hehehe ... Nice ride you have here :biggrin:

Got to find a way to mod my Fischer cup holder in soon ... Seemed to keep loosing my water bottle under the seat somewhere everytime I brake or take off. Hahahahaha ...

AXXeLL

1,500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Subang
Visit site
Nooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

but wait a minit, this doesnt make much of a difference either, not to say that i fully utilize the build in lighter or ash tray in my car either... My zippo always comes in handy and opening up the window and tapping my ash out always does the job... We smokers are safe for now!! ahaha

eyong

4,000 RPM
Feb 20, 2006
I can say, car ashtrays in Malaysia are good for storing coins, touch-n-go cards etc for our endless parking, tolls, Aneh collecting money, junkie etc ....

Like AXXeLL says, we just ash and bud it out the window anyway .... hehehe ....

Jimslec

Known Member
May 30, 2005
KL
It's a good stop for the foreigners especially the 'Ang Mo' dog. Never buy any cars used by them if they are smokers....why? You will never be able to get rid of their cigarette smell. When they smoke, they don't unwind their window, never switch off their aircon and they just dump their cigarette bud in their car's ashstray. And they call it environmental friendly...hahaha.:adore:

satria_95

6,000 RPM
Jan 2, 2004
Malaysia
I don't have anything against smokers with the right attitude but in malaysia, 99% of smoking drivers don't have the right attitude. I hate it when they just dispose of their finished-but-still-burning cig butts out their car window, letting that bud bounce on the road into the car behind, where I am one of the victims. I'm planning to put a bucketful of used spark plugs in my car and if a dumb fuck throws his cigg butt out the window, whether it's burning or not, I'll drive to their front and fling a handful of spark plugs into their front wind screen. A bit over the line for just a cig butt? Well, I don't give a damn fuck because in the first place, those smoking drivers didn't gave a fuck.

adliz

Known Member
Jan 30, 2005
chill bro.. :) 2 wrongs dont make a right.. there're sooooo many things that are wrong, doesnt mean we shud retaliate? :itsme:

satria_95

6,000 RPM
Jan 2, 2004
Malaysia
adliz,
2 wrongs will teach the first wrong party to make things right, hence, the second wrong party won't exist.

jimslec,
Yes, very true. That's why the smokers are doing harm, hence, they are being retributed, manually.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

While Ferrari’s latest flagship is pulling in all the attention mainly due to its concept-esque shooting-brake body style and al-new V12 nuclear-plant of an engine, its four-wheel drive system should be given its fair share of the limelight as well, particularly considering the high-tech way it functions and the being the first Prancing Horse with four-wheel drive.

For those that don’t speak geek and...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience