technical question: wierd sound in b16a head.

mrpilot

Known Member
Mar 11, 2009
sound come when i start the car after few hours park. especially @ morning. sound stop when the engine oil indicator goes off (about 3-4 seconds). seem like engine oil not fully pumped to all part of engine that need to lubricate. happen since last week.oil change every 3000km. using semisyntetic 15-40 honda lube. help me to solve this prob:joyman:

Last edited:

camshaft

Known Member
Nov 3, 2006
what kind of sound? is it like nyeett! nyeett! or...kluk! kluk!...usually when turning the ignition key right before start the engine...the engine will make some sound like checking all the sensor 1st...after starting the engine...usually the rpm goes up a bit until the oil is fully lubricate the whole engine...i dont thing there's any problem if the engine check light or engine oil check light show no sign of problem...that is if your sensor are all working...have u send it to foreman for checking?

mrpilot

Known Member
Mar 11, 2009
taktaktaktak..that how it sound. b4 this oil indicator will goes off as soon as my engine run. 1 more thing, last week the engine light show up. but go back to normal till now. is it possible to check the error code now? does the ecu still keep the last error code? coz i check it when no CEL warning. it show injector n TPS error. code 7 n 16. my car got no prob when i see foremen. n the prob come when i reach home.

E-Tech

Jun 28, 2005
Johor
Sound from hydrulic lifters (looks like bullet).... it works with oil...
If no/not filled completely oil inside, it will make that noise....
It might need cleaning/servicing/change (16pcs)
This is best case senario.

Worst case- crank bearing "makan" already.

What's you engine set up?
Over rev recently?

If lazy to check all those above...
Try change diff oil first.... go thicker this time....

Last edited:

mrpilot

Known Member
Mar 11, 2009
rev limit @ 8000rpm. seldom reach that point. usually max 7000rpm.last time i want to change oil to motul semi. but the shop wrongly pick the motul 10-40 mineral. run with that <1000km only. then switch back to vtec semi oil. so i assume that not the point. is it?? duh.. crank bearing "makan" make me feel dizzy lorh.. bro E-tech, what another simptom when crank bearing kaput??

my setup:
b18c bottom
b16a top.
simota penis
pnp head
h22a injector
chrome tuned ecu.

and........

never tune after:
downgrade to stock b16a cam (previously using aftermarket cam.)
change distributor
ngk R09 plug cable
oilfilter

Last edited:

mdsb3

Known Member
Mar 31, 2006
worries about lubrication oil nowaday.
too many clon and no quality at all.
try dismantle ur vtec soleniod 3skru,c inside filter have metalchip or not.
have :thumpdown:metalchip confirm ur bearing out already.:thumpdown:

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
3~4secs of tak-tak-tak? i wudnt worry much about it, its a sign of a worn out oil pump / lubrication system. ive had the tak-tak-tak sound problem wit my 4g91 for few months, it was worse den mesin jahit!! the sound doesnt go even when warmed up, hoho.. now dah takde, as i said lubrication issue. the hydraulic lifters tend to do dat after sum years of service, or if not taken care properly. use good oil and they'll be quiet

mrpilot

Known Member
Mar 11, 2009
for mitshubishi, i would not worry as this. i also own a 4g93 with mesin jahit sound. but now, 1st time it was from my Vtec. that would be my nightmare...

shah5755

Known Member
Apr 20, 2007
Pj....kch
bro my car also got taktak sound every morning when start but after a few second will be ok....ask my fren oredi they said normal for vtec engine got knocking sound a bit.....I also use the vtec semi synthetic oil....

mrpilot

Known Member
Mar 11, 2009
it never happen to me till this time. b4 this my engine run very quite. only fan sound n ekzos can be hear.

E-Tech

Jun 28, 2005
Johor
Dun use vtec 15/40 oil
Many known to face tis noisy...

Change to 15/50.
I personally use motul 300v.

Try change oil.
Rgds.

Feb 23, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
this thing tak tak tak.. sound was happen to me b4,suspect was pivot LMA,change it to type r all of it 8pcs.. setle no more tak tak tak sound.. hepy driving now.. :)

mrpilot

Known Member
Mar 11, 2009
LMA changed. checked the selenoid cover/filter. there some metal debris. confirm bearing. car oredy parked for 3 weeks..scare to drive. lol. does the debris flow around block n piston? or just stucked in oil filter n the filter inside that vtec selonoid?? do i need full overhaul or just the change the bearing only??

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi all.,
I have a perdana with v6 mivec. Recently my car cannot start sometimes can start sometimes cannot start. My battery is 12.4v any idea to solve the problem?
need help.....
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience