TB and Intake Manifold.

Fox311

Jan 18, 2007
hi guys just wanna know...

On any STOCK engine.....
By changing the to a bigger throttle body and a larger intake manifold.... will there be a significant change in engine performance?

Is this really a worth while mod to do....

I'm not interested in quad throttle since it requires to leave the car in the workshop for a few days....

mag9556

2,000 RPM
Jul 11, 2006
wht car / engine bro?
for 4g9x ok la or vtec?
not much info le..
hehe..

whatdamn

1,000 RPM
Sep 29, 2004
Cheras, KL, Mal
fox311,
as long as you can allow more air into the engine, you can get significant improvements.

however, you can't go overboard like saying you want an extremely large port to allow more air to go in. everything must be within reason based on your engine.

why do you think people port their TBs to match their intake and exhaust manifolds as well as their valve ports. same case with turbo and super charging, you're by mechanical means forcing a larger volume of air into the engine. as for ITBs, same thing, it's like having a huge plenum.

Fox311

Jan 18, 2007
Thanks a lot guys... was interested with the alumminium intake manifold for lancer.. my engine is a 4G18..

So shld i have a larger TB and Intake manifold at the same time which suits to my engine... even if i have those.. the intake valve holes are still the same size and the valves open and close at a fixed rate... so will it still be able to cram more air into my engine by upgrading the intake manifold and TB...

EcstacyElmo

1,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
K Hell Shitty
previous experience in my friends putra:
his 1.8 engine had a 2.0 intake manifold in place, felt quite powderful, that was when he bought the car second hand
the previous owner did it, but my friend didnt know about it, just about a month after he started losing power, more like car would die on idling. so we brought the car to his mech n he found the the intake manifold was cracked (no idea how tat can happen to a thick peice of metal), so the air was leaking out n not enuf combustion to keep the enigine alive blah blah blah engine die....
so change it abck to 1.8 ori putra manifold...loss of alot of power, felt like a pee wee car compared to before.
diff 'size' intake manifold might hav diff diameter? ( i just assume, but assuming is lying according to my lecturer.) so the previous owner simply instal then install to tight and somehow the manifold cracked, according to the mechanic...
throttle body then i duno la, i not well versed in cars, just remember what i experience.

WestCoast

Known Member
Mar 26, 2006
my putra remains stock intake manifold but had washed n cleaned it (didnt port it bigger diameter lah) and im planning for a mivec throttle body.is tat a good plan to get more power?

WestCoast

Known Member
Mar 26, 2006
helo?
really need u guys advise n opinions since many sifus here
grateful for sifu's replies

WestCoast

Known Member
Mar 26, 2006
okay..how if i stay wif my current stock throttle body n changed to 4g63 perdana's intake manifold? izit 4g63 intake manifold n 4g93's the same?
u guys think change throttle body will be better or change intake manifold better?
(since many told me if i change to mivec tb will cause power lag)

Fox311

Jan 18, 2007
The best is to change both of them from throttle body to intake manifold.. more wider opening for more air to flow into our cylinders

WestCoast

Known Member
Mar 26, 2006
can suggeest wat tb n wat intake manifold for my 4g93 na?
izit true tat mivec tb will cause my power lag

whatdamn

1,000 RPM
Sep 29, 2004
Cheras, KL, Mal
westcoast,
plain and simple. mivec 60mm tb + gsr intake manifold (inlet bored to 60mm to match the mivec tb). nuff said.

sharkair

Apr 21, 2004
westcoast,
plain and simple. mivec 60mm tb + gsr intake manifold (inlet bored to 60mm to match the mivec tb). nuff said.
plus head porting jobs for best effect. gsr intake manifold port size is bigger than 4g93 na intake port size.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I've read it somewhere in ZTH that ppl have installed a custom switch that disables the fuel-pump. It got my attention but I wasn't able to find one in Penang. Someone kindly point me to the right direction. :)

Thanks in advance.

Oh and btw. Is it safe? As in will it 'accidentally' cut-off the fuel when you DON'T want it to? :shocked:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience