Tappet Sound

Dremel

1,000 RPM
Nov 19, 2003
Ampng Nrdschlff
Visit site
Originally posted by InitialD@Jan 6 2005, 18:18
I think I'll go back to Petronas semi-sync. It seems to work well with 4G94P
i assume your finger is very big.. sure press '3' and '4' at the same time.. hehe..

i'm using castrol magnatec.. the engine enters taxi mod only once in a while..

cannot predict.. sometimes very loud.. sometimes ok/the sound goes away..

dunno lor.. some ppl says need to drill the hole to make it bigger..
bigger enough for the oil to come out.. to avoid the oil from clogging the hole..
which causing the sounds

but i dun know which hole.. hehee

SloMo

Known Member
Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
Originally posted by roughnecks@Jan 7 2005, 10:25
my 4g92p too make diz damn tet-tet-tet sound :angry:
u guyz think if i change my SOHC head to DOHC, will solve d prob?
n btw, what kinda DOHC head shld i use? planning to change tho
urs is most proly because of the tappet clearence...

ramsing

Known Member
Nov 15, 2003
no point using additives/oil to cover up the noise. noise means times to change the tappets. you can hide the noise, but ultimately will lead to further head damage.
old engines = wear n tear = time to replace for trouble free driving. eheh. :)
my 2 kupang's worth.

roughnecks

Known Member
Dec 1, 2003
Visit site
urs is most proly because of the tappet clearence...
what is tappet clearance? :unsure:

old engines = wear n tear = time to replace for trouble free driving.
true enuf

natureguy

Oct 4, 2004
is the tappet worn or noisy will low down the performance of engine? do i realy need service it? it will hav take out my gasket onot? scare they spoilt my gasket......

dkoo

Known Member
Mar 22, 2004
wah.. finally i found all the similiar group here...
a very pity group..
smtimes.. even when warm up the engine..
the engine will make a veyr very loud tek tek tek tek tek sound... even few hundred meter also can hear b4 my car reach..
the stupid engine is 4g61... dman it.. really noisy smtime.. smtime quite like hell even rev it gao gao..

what happen actually??
waht is the alternative solution i can have???
1. i hear say can open the head n service... but will come back after few services???
>>>waht is mean by open the head n services it??

2. poeple say got open the head n change all the tapet.. my mech said is 60buck per pieces.. shit need to change 16 pieces 1 short..

>>>what is this actually?? why need to change it?? how the tapet look like? any
website showing hwo it work on the head pictorially??

3. now there are some dude here say drill the hole become bigger?? what hole? y dril??
>>> waht the machanism is included?? how about i dril the hole bigger yet change the tapet.. can it last for few years?? or only 6 monts as they said??

4. my mech suggest go find a pretty head n replace it.. but this is smthing on risk.. what if the sound come back again after 2months?? then i burn fe hundred already....

***any other alternatives??

***what i scare is the mech said is change the tapet for me.. but actually waht he did jstu service it yet get the money for changing the tapet from me so the sound come back again few months.. how i going to notice tat??

i more interested toward the drilling hole thiggy .. can explain more??

thanks ya all the sifu for the advise....

haih.. i very hate the farking noise smthing.. really IRRITATING.. the whole campus also now my car is reaching anywhere.. dman it..

InitialD

1,000 RPM
Aug 27, 2004
Visit site
I wonder if all mitsubishi engines are like this or not? What about other makes of engines?

mirage2929

Known Member
Dec 5, 2004
agreed wt putracraze,

u guys should try Q8 F1 10-50w engine oil. a bottle of 1litter cost about RM40, so 4 litter about RM160.

ruhaz

Known Member
May 1, 2004
after searchin the internet...
actually not us but the whole world got the problemswith Mitsu's engine hahaa

this is the culprits

These are the noisy bastards responsible for start up ticking, phantom knock

Here's a picture of the revised lifter (left) from Mitsubishi and the original lifter (right) found in many early model 2G Eclipses and Talons. Notice the larger oil passage in the revised lifter. No wonder the original design caused the ticking everyone is accustomed to hearing.

TICK-TICK-TICK-TICK-TICK... Does your car have the infamous lifter tick? You can upgrade to the later "3rd Generation" lash adjusters which offer a HUGE improvement in oil circulation in the heads, thus virtually eliminating the ticking sound that incessantly emanates from the top of your motor. While the opening at the top of the lash adjusters in the 91-96 cars is less than 1mm, the opening in these is 3mm, allowing for much better lubricated rocker arms and a quieter, non-ticking "time bomb" motor. ;-)

their function...

more info go to

MD HAMILTON TECH WEBSITE

MDHAMILTON DSM TECH WEBSITE

their solution...replacing it with a bigger hole lifters...anyone wanna try??

evo3

1,500 RPM
Jul 2, 2004
Visit site
hehehe..sure alot of ppl have this kind of problem..... last time i have this kind of problem.... but then i change to Castrol RS, then the problem is solved...until now...1 year plus already.....

all mitsu's engine have this kind of problem...if u listen carefully on Wira stock engine...u will hear it too,.... :P

ayell

500 RPM
Jun 18, 2004
Segamat JHR
Mine is already 3rd gen one.. but still got noise..

What I did.. take out all of the hydraulic valve lifter, soak it in diesel for one night, then slowly press each of it with vise to let the diesel+dirt out from the lifter. Check for free play of the lifter "goyang" if to much its need replacement. reinstall.. for the first 5 minutes, expect loud rattle sound from the valve lifter because its takes time for the lube oil to fill inside the lifter.

I've done this to my 4G91, the result is very good, now I have quiter engine.

p/s: You need some spares of the lifter, otherwise your car will be grounded until the process is complete. :D

differ

1,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Petaling Jaya
danielczh.multiply.com
hahhaa, so many ka-ki-lang here...

firstly, it's not conventional tappets. we mitsu ppl have special hydro lifters that are the CAUSE of that all-annoying tapping sound.

like someone mentioned before, the main culprit is DIRTY LIFTERS. changing oil every 3000km helps a lot, using a higher viscosity oil. either mineral oil or semi-synth is good.

once the sound starts, haha, no way to get rid of it except to service the lifters. once they start to jam, then you can kiss that particular lifter good byeeeeeeee...

on my prev 4G93P, i did a complete change of the lifters (caused me a bomb) and started to practice 3000km oil change. the sound was gone for quite a while, then i miss the 3000km mark, and drove it for close to 4000km. lo and behold, the ghost of the lifters returned to haunt my poor car and i.

with that said, i think a good service followed by frequent oil changes is the only salvation for us Mitsu owners.

*pS: engine block k.o. soon after that (not related to the lifters) so now i've gone and replaced the P with a T behind the 4G93. i'm going to be very very discipline now and practice the 3000km rule!

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I am keen to know what exactly the purpose of having HKS FCD if installed in a Turbo car? Is it worth it to install in small Turbo car like mine - Daihatsu Charade GTti? Is it for higher boost set up? Or saving fuel? I know nothing about that small device..When I read in the oversea's forum, can't understand lah..Soooo technically la..

Can you all explain in plain English of what is the main purpose of that device and it's advantages too..Can?

Thanks bros..
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience