Noisy Tappet - 4G93P

nikewai

Known Member
Nov 14, 2003
hi,

i'm facing the noisy tappet sound especially at 3k rpm.... it's quite noisy...
any sifu here know how to rectified this other than changing the 16 piece of tappets...?? is quite costly to change the tappets...

plz help... Thanks.

fstr

7,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Apr 19, 2004
Sahara Desert
nikewai said:
hi,

any sifu here know how to rectified this other than changing the 16 piece of tappets...?? is quite costly to change the tappets...

plz help... Thanks.

wahhh 1st time i see you opening a topic:D

when fishing le wei...hehehehhehee:p

MaNofWaR

500 RPM
Nov 22, 2003
On the AiR
Visit site
try changing the engine oil to a different brand....since 4g93p engines are using hydraulic lifters....

it works for me...there are some diff in engine oil choices...believe me, even some of the SGTi Clubmembers have diff oils suiting the same engine...sounds wierd but true

just sharing....

nikewai

Known Member
Nov 14, 2003
haha... fred, anytime also can fish ma... jus that recently busy and headache with my car now... problem one by one liao.... hai...hehe

nikewai

Known Member
Nov 14, 2003
thanks manofwar.... u mentioned diff brand of engine oil... such as wat brand???

MaNofWaR

500 RPM
Nov 22, 2003
On the AiR
Visit site
some owners use shell...& it works fine, some use other brands....
as i said same engine but to certain owners have their own preferences....
but it relates to the tappet sound

my experience...used castrol b4 but after sometime tappet sound is presence...then changed to diff brand...its like getting a hair gel that suits u.... now using motul

just sharing

tonytony

Known Member
Apr 11, 2004
nikewai,
i drive a mazda and know how how you feel. i've jsut recently completed my problem of noisy adjusters ( Hydraulic Lash adjusters ) and maybe i can be of help.
First of all, it is not the brand of oil that is the concern. some say that thin oil lke synthetic helps. the truth is, thin oil Would help to pressurized the adjuster, hence making it quiet. the reason for adjsuters making tapping noise is JUST that the valve inside is not pressurized and hence is tapping against either the rocker arm ( if mitsu engines have one, or not it would be the cams ) or hitting against the valves. so, the issue hence is why are the adjusters not being pressurized ?
there are a couple of reasons. one is that dirt has been caught inside the adjusters and is not allowing the valve trap ( in mazda's case it would be a ball ) to seal in oil. the other would be that air is trapped inside the valve.
Bearing in mind, in either case scenarios, THE ADJUSTERS ARE DESIGNED BY DEFAULT TO NEVER FAIL IN ITS OPERATIONS.

Qholif

If it Does ..It Does !!
Aug 6, 2004
Subang Jaya
nikewai said:
hi,

plz help... Thanks.
try to flush ur engine and put some oil treament..i did that recently and no more sound now...but it is not affective if the sound is too loud and it has been sounding for a long period of time...

Monsterv6,

Does fully syntetic oil increases tappet sounds?

tonytony

Known Member
Apr 11, 2004
nikewai,
i drive a mazda and know how how you feel. i've jsut recently completed my problem of noisy adjusters ( Hydraulic Lash adjusters ) and maybe i can be of help.
First of all, it is not the brand of oil that is the concern. some say that thin oil lke synthetic helps. the truth is, thin oil would only help to pressurized the adjuster by taking / washing away some of the grime or air that's trapped inside the adjuster, hence making it quiet. the reason for adjsuters making tapping noise is JUST that the valve inside is not pressurized and hence is tapping against either the rocker arm ( if mitsu engines have one, or not it would be the cams ) or hitting against the valves. so, the issue hence is why are the adjusters not being pressurized ?
it needs to be pressuzied so that the lash clearance between valve and adjsuter is ZERO, hence producing exceptional engine performance and no noise.
there are a couple of reasons. one is that dirt has been caught inside the adjusters and is not allowing the valve trap ( in mazda's case it would be a ball ) to seal in oil. the other would be that air is trapped inside the valve.
both are the main reasons for tapping adjusters, but are not big problems.
Bearing in mind, in either case scenarios, THE ADJUSTERS ARE DESIGNED BY DEFAULT TO NEVER FAIL IN ITS OPERATIONS. this is the beauty of hydraulic adjusters.
so, what you got to do is this. open your engine up, ( i think mitsu engines don't need to remove cams to take out the adjusters ), check each adjusters for sponginess. a good adjuster would NOT allow you to depress it. if it does, then its not working right. remove the adjuster, fully disassemble it ( there would be no rubber seals in an adjuster, therefor you can safely disassemble ) clean throughly with diesel or degreasing liquid. assemble back, soak adjuster in oil and depress to let air out untill adjuster becomes hard, you can see air bubbles coming out. let adjuster soak in oil for another day and repeat steps to let air out. this is so that you make 100 % sure that adjuster is working properly. then install back.
all this are ASSUMING that as soon as you inspect adjusters, the springs ( there would be one big and one realy small ) are intact and not broken. if its broken, adjuster has failed and you would have to change to new.
with this method of checking, you can service / replace only spongy / failed adjusters. that would cut your repair cost down substantially.
Remember, adjusters are designed to NEVER fail under normal operations (unless springs are broken ), so don;t let a mechanic bully you into changing a set of new ones. if adjsuter completely fails, ie springs break, your engine timing would go hay-wire, which is very obvious.
to take precautions so that future grime do not rest in the adjusters, switch oil to semi or full synthetic so that engine would be cleaner. or should the tapping noise come back after some time, service them again. chances are that inside an engine, only a couple are spongy.
hope this helps as it did mine...

InitialD

1,000 RPM
Aug 27, 2004
Visit site
Try this

I have tried Petronas Semi-Syn and it seems to make the sound less noisy.

Currently using Castrol Magnatec with Tufoil.

nikewai

Known Member
Nov 14, 2003
Thanks for the reply guys... really appreciate ur advise..

fazidk

3,000 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
HI NIKEWAI....try checking d posting under MITSUBISHI..i posted d same problem in there...currently have lots of opinions n probable solutions dat might help or assist u in solving d problem...

c u there.....

ftzone

full throttle zone
Feb 21, 2005
Penang, Prai
www.ftzoneracing.com
my mech did what tonytony explained earlier. It works.. but the method is slightly different. :D

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi guys,

For the intro, my sister in law have a Proton Savvy AMT and currently some part of the gearbox is not working well and after asking for the replacement parts @Proton service it costs around RM9k. So I'm thinking of suggesting her to just swap the engine into other alternative engine since the current engine maintainability is quite high.

So the question here, what are the available engines that can fit into Proton Savvy? Legally endorse of course. At the moment thinking...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience