Tappet Sound

acid2344

Nov 14, 2003
Hi all,

I used to have slight tappet sound when engine is cold & not warm up yet.
Try chg oil brands, viscocity , etc. etc. etc.

All did not work as the sound will be back sooner.1 common thing that been
advised by Thomas(GTA) is that he sees a lot of his customer using Magnatec
seems to suffer this probs.

Now i'm using Mobil semi + 1 bottle of Tufoil & the sounds is gone.
This is my 2nd bottle of Tufoil already since the last 2 months.

IMHO only this is, may varies to engine frm engine.

PS:// Im not related watsoever to Tufoil, just a satisfied consumer.

Itab

500 RPM
Apr 14, 2004
Serdang
Visit site
me last time also use mobil super S semi-synth
the tappet noise did reduce after warming up,but this mobil engine oil seems to vaporise much faster than the magnetec tht i'm using now,very significant difference after driving on the highway
mobil super S reduce a lot afer highway driving
magnetec reduce a bit only

gspot

Known Member
Jan 5, 2004
PJ
As minivan had mentioned.. it's all in the engine design employed by Mitsu. Well.. some pros and cons.. if you can live with the creaks in our Plotongs.. guess got to bear the tappets, as long as they are in good running condition.

Besides changing oil every 3K (like me also but more for performance reason) try alternate between a thicker (eg. 15W50) and slightly thinner (eg.10W40) oils in your schedule. It doesn't matter whether it's semi synth or fully. Somehow it works also in reducing the noise a bit.

alvin24

3,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Here's some good advice... ADDITIVES MAKES THINGS WORSE! Yes, don't believe any sales man who says add additive to make the sound go down... it don't bloody work and it'll make things WORSE~! IF he says its proven, then ask him to take a bet... that if ur engine still makes noise u won't pay a cent... see if he still DARES to take that bet.

Best advice i can give... search for the oil that suits your engine best (the one which creates the least noise) and then stick with it... the moment u start changing oil again, the sound will come back.

gibod_78

1,500 RPM
Jan 15, 2004
Visit site
btw.. other than irritating noises.. does it bring serious harm to the engine system if we just simply ignore it?..

GSR5559

1,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
www.zerotohundred.com
gibod i dun think it will make any harm..ive been driving it for like 2 yers by now..so far so good..nuthin harful lke engine head oil leaking or watsoever..and yeah the first thing i think wen i first got the car, engine sounds like a GEMINI TAXI (yellow and black colour) ...heheh

btw my tappets got no sound for 1-2 months cus timing belt putus and need to replace head..so first 2 months was nice and smooth , no sound at all..but later on , sound comes again evry morning wen i did my first engine start..anyway jus ignore it..no money so jus keep driving le..and tappets are not cheap

partyJOE

2,000 RPM
Nov 10, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
Originally posted by alvin24@Jan 6 2005, 17:30
Here's some good advice... ADDITIVES MAKES THINGS WORSE! Yes, don't believe any sales man who says add additive to make the sound go down... it don't bloody work and it'll make things WORSE~! IF he says its proven, then ask him to take a bet... that if ur engine still makes noise u won't pay a cent... see if he still DARES to take that bet.

Best advice i can give... search for the oil that suits your engine best (the one which creates the least noise) and then stick with it... the moment u start changing oil again, the sound will come back.
hi Alvin :D ,
due to yr experience on ya 4G91 ... wat oil do u think gives da best results ...
thx in adavance yo....yr help is very much needed....

roughnecks

Known Member
Dec 1, 2003
Visit site
my 4g92p too make diz damn tet-tet-tet sound :angry:
u guyz think if i change my SOHC head to DOHC, will solve d prob?
n btw, what kinda DOHC head shld i use? planning to change tho

Dremel

1,000 RPM
Nov 19, 2003
Ampng Nrdschlff
Visit site
Originally posted by InitialD@Jan 6 2005, 18:18
I think I'll go back to Petronas semi-sync. It seems to work well with 4G94P
i assume your finger is very big.. sure press '3' and '4' at the same time.. hehe..

i'm using castrol magnatec.. the engine enters taxi mod only once in a while..

cannot predict.. sometimes very loud.. sometimes ok/the sound goes away..

dunno lor.. some ppl says need to drill the hole to make it bigger..
bigger enough for the oil to come out.. to avoid the oil from clogging the hole..
which causing the sounds

but i dun know which hole.. hehee

SloMo

Known Member
Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
Originally posted by roughnecks@Jan 7 2005, 10:25
my 4g92p too make diz damn tet-tet-tet sound :angry:
u guyz think if i change my SOHC head to DOHC, will solve d prob?
n btw, what kinda DOHC head shld i use? planning to change tho
urs is most proly because of the tappet clearence...

ramsing

Known Member
Nov 15, 2003
no point using additives/oil to cover up the noise. noise means times to change the tappets. you can hide the noise, but ultimately will lead to further head damage.
old engines = wear n tear = time to replace for trouble free driving. eheh. :)
my 2 kupang's worth.

roughnecks

Known Member
Dec 1, 2003
Visit site
urs is most proly because of the tappet clearence...
what is tappet clearance? :unsure:

old engines = wear n tear = time to replace for trouble free driving.
true enuf

natureguy

Oct 4, 2004
is the tappet worn or noisy will low down the performance of engine? do i realy need service it? it will hav take out my gasket onot? scare they spoilt my gasket......

dkoo

Known Member
Mar 22, 2004
wah.. finally i found all the similiar group here...
a very pity group..
smtimes.. even when warm up the engine..
the engine will make a veyr very loud tek tek tek tek tek sound... even few hundred meter also can hear b4 my car reach..
the stupid engine is 4g61... dman it.. really noisy smtime.. smtime quite like hell even rev it gao gao..

what happen actually??
waht is the alternative solution i can have???
1. i hear say can open the head n service... but will come back after few services???
>>>waht is mean by open the head n services it??

2. poeple say got open the head n change all the tapet.. my mech said is 60buck per pieces.. shit need to change 16 pieces 1 short..

>>>what is this actually?? why need to change it?? how the tapet look like? any
website showing hwo it work on the head pictorially??

3. now there are some dude here say drill the hole become bigger?? what hole? y dril??
>>> waht the machanism is included?? how about i dril the hole bigger yet change the tapet.. can it last for few years?? or only 6 monts as they said??

4. my mech suggest go find a pretty head n replace it.. but this is smthing on risk.. what if the sound come back again after 2months?? then i burn fe hundred already....

***any other alternatives??

***what i scare is the mech said is change the tapet for me.. but actually waht he did jstu service it yet get the money for changing the tapet from me so the sound come back again few months.. how i going to notice tat??

i more interested toward the drilling hole thiggy .. can explain more??

thanks ya all the sifu for the advise....

haih.. i very hate the farking noise smthing.. really IRRITATING.. the whole campus also now my car is reaching anywhere.. dman it..

InitialD

1,000 RPM
Aug 27, 2004
Visit site
I wonder if all mitsubishi engines are like this or not? What about other makes of engines?

mirage2929

Known Member
Dec 5, 2004
agreed wt putracraze,

u guys should try Q8 F1 10-50w engine oil. a bottle of 1litter cost about RM40, so 4 litter about RM160.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I tried searching the forum but can't seem to find anything that relates to these products. So I'll just start one here. If there's a post on this product already, please provide me the link here.

I bought these 3 cans for RM74. With this price, the indian chap also helped me polish my yellow head lamps till it's entirely clear again! He used a bit of the Rainon (yellow worded can) and sprayed a bit one of my side windows...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience