Need Help: Noisy tappet sound

acel

Known Member
May 31, 2004
All Honda bro,

Im driving a EJ9 VTEC SOHC and wonder can the tappet be adjust?

The noise is quite notiable even with the bonnet closed.

UNderstand that the correct eng oil shall be 10W30 for VTEC. Im now usinng 10W50 (semi sync) which is thicker.

If I switch to 10W30 which is thinner, I believe the tappet sound will be worse. Pls correct me if Im wrong.

Appreciate some honest feedback from you guys.

Cheers

lightningfield

2,000 RPM
Dec 29, 2004
Johor Bahru
www.ef-honda.com
bro, im having the same problem as yours. i have adjusted the tappets few times. it went silent for just a few days, after dat it became noisy again. the solution - change the LOOSE MOTION VALVES. definitely thats the cause of the disturbing sound. change to new one coz its a wear n tear part. 1 pc around RM60-80 (for dohc vtec). 8 pcs total. u do the math. maybe urs is cheaper.

acel

Known Member
May 31, 2004
It sounds tak-tak-tak.....

Learnt from here that if use thicker oil, the tappet sound will not be so noticeable.
So if I switch to 10W30 which is the recommended viscosity by Honda, then the tappet sound will be louder.

Therefore I want to find or listen to all you comments before I do something.

albani said:
acel...how to hear taappets sound? very noticeable ka??

zero4

6,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
Petaling Jaya
Visit site
what you were told is memang true, thicker engine oil will reduce tappet sound while thinner engine oil will make the tappet sound more noticeable, SO, by putting thicker engine oil, u can actually reduce the tappet sound but that aint the long run solution.

like lighting mention, that's the way to totally eliminate tappet sound

lightningfield

2,000 RPM
Dec 29, 2004
Johor Bahru
www.ef-honda.com
yess mr kompak. im backk from umrah. now botak. haha

i agree with zero4... thicker engine oil wud slightly reduce the sound.. but the best way is to tighten it back..or if its still like dat, change the loose motion valves..

evoX2

1,000 RPM
May 11, 2005
KCH
i also face this problem....tak.tak.tak...feel so annoyed. So u mean change the motion valve? so total 8 pcs to changed for sohc vtec?

kompak

500 RPM
May 28, 2005
Silver State
lightningfield said:
yess mr kompak. im backk from umrah. now botak. haha

i agree with zero4... thicker engine oil wud slightly reduce the sound.. but the best way is to tighten it back..or if its still like dat, change the loose motion valves..
so now become a good citizen haa....hehe
last time when i'm in kuantan...did go to Semambu...but no luck laa bro..