Starting problem in the morning

mike77kl

Known Member
Aug 29, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Hi, i own a 1991 Saga Aeroback 1.5 Automatic. This problem only happens in the morning, other than that the car starts fine with just one short crank. Always got sufficient fuel in the tank, new engine oil, spark plug and cable also good. In the morning, i crank the engine as usual and the engine started for a very short while and stalled. What can i do to solve this?

ehdrian

I Don't Care!
Dec 14, 2006
Penang
bro, i think at that era, proton still not producing any efi cars..

mike77kl

Known Member
Aug 29, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Mine is 1991 Saga Aeroback 1.5 Automatic 12 Valve carb. Can i pour water into the carb hole to clean off carbon? Will the carbon end up got stuck in the cat? Now engine got a bit knocking during low speed or going up a slope. Knocking gone when the car got up to speed. Cant affort to use RON97 and i am too chicken to adjust the distributor. Now i just want to try clean off carbon first. Or can i warm up the engine, floor the pedal in N to rev up the engine? Could this blow away carbon at TB and cylinder?

Last edited:

ftzone

full throttle zone
Feb 21, 2005
Penang, Prai
www.ftzoneracing.com
your auto-chock may need to be replaced or serviced. carb may be dirty.. use carb cleaner instead.. don't use water.. too much water you risk bending your conrods when u try cranking later.. fuel filter changed?

---------- Post added at 06:16 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 06:11 PM ----------

over the years of operation, carbon is building up in your combustion chamber.. that carbon is causing the cylinder pressure to be artificially high.. which causes knocking when you are accelerating.. to solve this problem, clean the piston and cylinder chamber by 3 possible methods.

1. Cylinder / Combustion cleaner... inserted via the carb or intake manifold.. produces white/black smoke for a while. if not solve;
2. Retard the ignition a little.. (but this also will make your engine less powerful if the ignition timing is not as per the manufacturer recommendation)
3. Top overhaul required.

mike77kl

Known Member
Aug 29, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
your auto-chock may need to be replaced or serviced. carb may be dirty.. use carb cleaner instead.. don't use water.. too much water you risk bending your conrods when u try cranking later.. fuel filter changed?

---------- Post added at 06:16 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 06:11 PM ----------

over the years of operation, carbon is building up in your combustion chamber.. that carbon is causing the cylinder pressure to be artificially high.. which causes knocking when you are accelerating.. to solve this problem, clean the piston and cylinder chamber by 3 possible methods.

1. Cylinder / Combustion cleaner... inserted via the carb or intake manifold.. produces white/black smoke for a while. if not solve;
2. Retard the ignition a little.. (but this also will make your engine less powerful if the ignition timing is not as per the manufacturer recommendation)
3. Top overhaul required.

I think i can see the auto chock on side view from the left. I see a 12V wire leading into it? So an auto chock dun have any nuts i could fine tune near the carb? Will turning the ignition key to ON position for a few minutes b4 i crank makes it easier to start? Since the ON position will supply power to warm up the chock maybe?

Yes, when the previous owner pass me the car, oil is too little and too dirty. There is also leaking engine oil on the left side near the edge, not at the valve cover but just below the valve cover. And also on the right most, got 1 spark plug where its threads will cover with black oil when u take the plug out and look at its threads but the plug hole does not leak oil out, just that when u take out the plug, u will see black oil coat its threads but the plug's firing tip is not cover with oil, its just normal, color also great, grey brown. Other plugs are all well.

Fuel filter not yet change. Can a clean fuel filter help me save fuel?

Can floor the pedal in N helps blow away carbon in carb and combustion chamber?
There was once my friend's kancil will stall on highway when the engine get around
3k rpm, so his car cant get pass 3k rpm or the engine will stall. Happened each time.
And so he took to pomen and the pomen floor it few times and now ok already. Wonder whats the theory rev up the engine like that?

Maybe i may try to loosen the screw to the distributor and turn it a little. Once i have enuff info, i might do it. To move to the retard direction, i need turn clock wise or anti clock wise? I think i will take small steps to turn it very tiny turn each time i take the car for a ride till i dun hear a knock no more. Specs on the wall says 5 degree BTDC if i rememeber correctly while my Hynes Proton Saga Repair manual saying 10 degree BTDC.

May i ask, below the steering on the right there is a knob with a light bulb picture on it, that one is to tune the brightness of the meter display lamp, rite? What about the square knob on the left? Any idea?

Last edited:

mike77kl

Known Member
Aug 29, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Hi, now my car no more stall problem in the morning after clean TB, changed fuel filter,
change spark cables and plugs with NGK Platinum, clean PCV valve, clean distributor cap.
After done all that, problem just gone.

Now during cold just need a short crank and no stall problem.

But during hot, crank need much longer and sometimes stalled right after i got it started.

Whats the matter now? Could it be vaporlock?

I see the previous owner got the exhaust manifold cover removed.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi all,

I'm planning to diy a MegaSquirts V2.2 to my saga lmst year 2004 to convert from carburetor to EFI system.The question is the throttle body,injectors,all the sensors,fuel pump,distributor,intake manifold need to use from a set of parts from 4g15/13 efi system?All the sensors from 4g15 efi system can b work with megasquirts or not? Also how much do the hardware that i listed cost? pls give some advice n comments thank you..
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience