Something wrong with this engine?

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
Thank you all. Will inform him about this. Could there be other possibilities? I see some said could be the fan belt tensioner and leaking head gasket.

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
Hey guys, updates on this issue. My friend went to check over the weekend with a few mechs. 2 of them said it's the hydraulic that needs to be changed, all 8 must be changed. I don't know what's that, so I'm checking with you guys here. One guy quoted RM400 just for the hydraulic. Another guy quoted RM500 for the hydraulic including installation. The third mech said it was the VTEC lifter or something like that. But he also mentioned that all 8 must be changed. I don't know if they're the same. But the price really differs. The third mech quoted RM700 for 8 lifters and RM280 for labour.

When my friend said the tappet needs to be adjusted, apparently the mechs said it's not that.

Any idea how much is the hydraulic and VTEC lifter? Maybe it would be cheaper to buy it elsewhere.

Thanks.

lewis26

Known Member
Nov 29, 2005
what hydraulic those mech refering??
for hydraulic lifter, Honda B & H -Series don't use this with the simple reason hydraulic lifters and aggressive cam profiles are not too a happy combination so both series use solid lifters.

unless they refering to the hydraulic control that actuates a synchronizing pin to lock or unlock the middle rocker arm.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Yeah, I agree with lewis26. I don't think it's the controller cuz he referred to "8 pieces", that sounds like the lifters themselves.

ddv : Have a lookt at this : How VTEC works - YouTube

The tapping noise is probably caused by too much clearance between the lifter and camshaft lobe. The tappet will push the valve down to open it and that tapping noise is what I suspect is causing the problem.

You should have someone just inspect the lifters and valves itself. If there's obvious wear on the tappet or the valve then either one of those need changing. You probably can get half-cut parts for less than RM300?

How old is the car? Pay someone to re-adjustable the tappets first me thinks.

---------- Post added at 10:00 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:57 AM ----------

oh btw, if it is worn valve / tappets, it's not the end of the world. I just recommend not vtec-ing often. Just drive slower until he can afford to replace them.

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
Ok, my friend has sent me a pic which he said the thing that one of the mech showed him looks like this. Please see the attachment. When i googled about this, I can see that there's difference between the solid lifters and hydraulic lifters. So, i asked my friend about this, he said he's not sure. But he saw that the mech kept it in oil and the oil could go through the lifter.

And since 8 pieces has to be changes, Iszo said it can't be the controller which must mean it's the lifters.

But, is it confirmed that B-series use hydraulic lifters? Then why do they all say its the hydraulic lifter that needs to be changed? Or do these mechs plan to take my friend for a ride?

Btw, its a 93 EG. Yes Iszo, it was a great relief for my friend when the mech said can still use the car. Hehe.

Ok, I will tell him to go try find someone else to adjust the lifters first since its so cheap. But Iszo, u said RM300 for used lifters and these mech said RM400 for new lifters. Again, are they trying to cheat my friend?

Attachments

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Eh.. sorry man. I was just simply throwing a halfcut price. But I doubt lifters are expensive brand new.

And I can't see any attachment?

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
lol... icic. why can't see the attachment ler? it's at the bottom of the post.

lewis26

Known Member
Nov 29, 2005
the pic is lifter so forget bout the controller. :biggrin:

when u googled bout the b series lifter u can find info that it is using solid as well.
The main reasons for using a solid instead of hydraulic lifter are:
High rev reliability. At high engine speeds hydraulic lifters interfere with valve operation and account for the sudden and dramatic drop in power build up at a little over 6000 rpm.

well, that all i know.:idea: do correct me if i m wrong.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
DDV : I see the pic now. Damn thing must've been blocked by company firewall.

The piece looks like the VTEC lifter or just part of it. I don't see how this piece can be the cause of the noise.

Try posting this problem in the Honda threads and see if you get a response there. Like I said, I'm not VTEC savvy. Though I'd loooove to get my hands dirty with a B16 in a EG. :biggrin:

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
the pic is lifter so forget bout the controller. :biggrin:

when u googled bout the b series lifter u can find info that it is using solid as well.
The main reasons for using a solid instead of hydraulic lifter are:
High rev reliability. At high engine speeds hydraulic lifters interfere with valve operation and account for the sudden and dramatic drop in power build up at a little over 6000 rpm.

well, that all i know.:idea: do correct me if i m wrong.
Appreciate your replies bro. This means that now it's on hydraulic lifters and should be changed to solid lifters?

DDV : I see the pic now. Damn thing must've been blocked by company firewall.

The piece looks like the VTEC lifter or just part of it. I don't see how this piece can be the cause of the noise.

Try posting this problem in the Honda threads and see if you get a response there. Like I said, I'm not VTEC savvy. Though I'd loooove to get my hands dirty with a B16 in a EG. :biggrin:
Will do bro. Thank you.

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
Almost forgot about this. Can he just get solid lifters if now he's using hydraulic lifters?

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
Okay. Thank you. Unlucky guy.

stingg

Known Member
Sep 20, 2005
subang jaya
My car had the exact issue... just sounded like diesel engine but not much affect engine. The exact name for the hydraulic lifter is lost motion assembly(LMA) get the type-r version and yr engine will smooth and quiet.

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
My car had the exact issue... just sounded like diesel engine but not much affect engine. The exact name for the hydraulic lifter is lost motion assembly(LMA) get the type-r version and yr engine will smooth and quiet.
Oic. Do you remember did it cost you for the type-R LMA?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Porsche is now busy with the development of 991.2 GT3, as it has been spotted testing on the Nurburgring, undisguised.

From the images captured by GTspirit here, the GT3 now sports more squared front bumper intakes, similar to that on the Cayman GT4. The slimmer indicator units are derived from the updated 911 models, while the front apron looks largely unchanged. Featuring...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience