Looking for something timeless

glozz

Known Member
Jan 26, 2003
Selangor
Hi Guys,

Am on the lookout for a classy car from the 90s. Something that's fun to cruise in and handles well. Budget's around the 80k mark (with loan) or 40-50k(cash). Nothing urgent, maybe only get it next year.

Has to be reliable and reasonably cheap to maintain. I'm thinking of the following, but please help me out here. Thanks.

BMW E36 (M3 or non-M3)
Merz CLK (230 or 200k)
Merz CE (how much's road tax for the 300?)

Give me your thoughts please; thanks.

kumar22mostwanted

1,500 RPM
Jan 9, 2010
HELL!!!
once you are asking for a classic car you cant hope for maintenance costs to be cheap
i mean a true classic car is something that is very hard to own and for only real hardcore enthusiast IMHO
i would definitely get the M3 legendary stuff :biggrin:

YYC

1,500 RPM
Dec 30, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
Maybe it is a little subjective 'timeless' means to different people. In Henrik Fisker's definition, timeless design is

"long and muscular, like an athlete, “human-like form of sculpture"
Proportion is paramount.
...cars look best with flowing lines, short overhangs and an assertive stance."

I love the awesome E36!

glozz

Known Member
Jan 26, 2003
Selangor
190E cosworth is an excellent suggestion; thanks!

I don't mean "Japanese" cheap for maintenance. I'm currently maintaining an E30, so i'm aware of the costs. Something of similar costs for maintenance would be fine.

Looks like i've got to tone down the CC to 2.5cc and below. Damn.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
merc 190 evo :biggrin:

if only u could source one for sale (saladin got one if not mistaken) :driver:

glozz

Known Member
Jan 26, 2003
Selangor
That's another question; is it worth getting one of 'em conti bodies with jap engines? Anyone with experience?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Oh, in that case the E36 M3 is a classic and imho, it's the best looking M3 ever made! Your original post kinda misleading la. Say mah, you looking after a E30 now.

The Ford Cosworth is an interesting car but finding a pristine condition one would be damn near impossible. Those that in good condition most owners won't sell.

glozz

Known Member
Jan 26, 2003
Selangor
Well, was trying to be bashful. :biggrin:

As mentioned, cost-wise similar to the E30 or around there is fine. Since the recipient of the car would be my dad, appreciate any other similar recommendations. Thanks.

How's the maintenance for the Cosworth? Saw an interesting ad on Mudah.

wsukun

500 RPM
Nov 17, 2008
London Calling
EG hatch
FD3S
JZA80
EVO4-6

Just in case you considering Japan imports.
These are some I think timeless design even after decade long, they still look so much better than any new cars OTR nowadays.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Hi Guys,

Am on the lookout for a classy car from the 90s. Something that's fun to cruise in and handles well. Budget's around the 80k mark (with loan) or 40-50k(cash). Nothing urgent, maybe only get it next year.

Has to be reliable and reasonably cheap to maintain. I'm thinking of the following, but please help me out here. Thanks.

BMW E36 (M3 or non-M3)
Merz CLK (230 or 200k)
Merz CE (how much's road tax for the 300?)

Give me your thoughts please; thanks.
M3 E36 definitely! Especially if you're lucky enough to find the Euro 3.2ltr 6 speed version, but surely could not get one within 80k budget.
Next choice got to be the W124 300CE/E. It's a very nice looking car and considered one of the all time best car Merc ever produced in terms of quality.
Don't take the CLK, IMHO it looks damn ugly, nothing timeless what so ever about it!

Agree with the above suggestion about the 190E Cosworth/Evo, again if you're lucky enough to find one!
Another suggestion, how about the BMW E39? I know it's relatively newer compared to your other choices, but it actually already released way back in 1997 but it still look great even today, so IMHO it's also kind of a timeless design. Many automobile publications regards the 528/530 very highly as the best all around mid size sedan at the time.

Ahmad Afif

From Facebook
Oct 19, 2010
www.facebook.com
Oh, in that case the E36 M3 is a classic and imho, it's the best looking M3 ever made! Your original post kinda misleading la. Say mah, you looking after a E30 now.

The Ford Cosworth is an interesting car but finding a pristine condition one would be damn near impossible. Those that in good condition most owners won't sell.
not ford cosworth bro , mercedes 190E limited cosworth edition , comes with either 2.3 or 2.5 cosworth tuned engine :driver: . There's one for sale in mudah , falls between glozz's budget

for me lar , i'd get japanese , like maybe z33 hehe sorry i know nobody ask me :P

Last edited: