-e f i n i-

Known Member
Dec 6, 2004
Kuching
Visit site
I was wondering..

- What is an apex seal? I see mostly 13B has it
- Can engines like 13B be stroked? I see most are still in 1.3l
- Some say the real displacement for rotary engines is multiplied by 2 of its displacement... say 13B is 1.3l, then x2 is 2.6l... is it true?
- Rotaries dont use pistons. They use rotor right? If normal engines have forged piston, then what do rotary engines have? How are rotary internals strenghtened?

Those are the questions currently in my mind now. I'll shout if i have more.
Thanks.

13btt

Known Member
May 31, 2004
Sydney, AUS
www.reclub.com.my
Ok dude you really don't know what going on with rotary but thats ok. You can learn about how the rotary works here http://auto.howstuffworks.com/rotary-engine.htm

To answer your questions:

1. Apex seal is the equivalent of piston rings
2. No
3. Somewhat true given the high output
4. Yes a triangular shaped rotor
5. Strengthening
- Use stronger 2pc apex seals
- Use different tension bolts (holds the engine sandwich together)
- Dowell the engine
- Modify oil jets in E-shaft, remove & modify oil thermo-pellet
- Use different rotor and stationary gear bearing with greater clearance for additional oil lubrication.

endless551

Known Member
Aug 24, 2004
Visit site
Originally posted by 13btt@Jan 31 2005, 18:36
Ok dude you really don't know what going on with rotary but thats ok. You can learn about how the rotary works here http://auto.howstuffworks.com/rotary-engine.htm

To answer your questions:

2. No
5. Strengthening
- Dowell the engine
- Use different rotor and stationary gear bearing with greater clearance for additional oil lubrication.
Glenn,

Shouldn't the oil pellet mod be classified under preventive maintenance/improve of current dumb system mod instead of strengthening?? So r u trying to say the purpose of ur mod is to disable the oil bypassing system totally? Pls enlighten me. SInce the thermo pellet is located at some easily accessible location, i might consider doing this as well. Could u let me know what other advantages r there? Worth sacrificing my saturday afternoon for?? Thanks.

MrNism0

Jan 31, 2005
Visit site
Originally posted by 13btt@Jan 31 2005, 18:36

2. No
5. Strengthening
- Dowell the engine
what is Dowell the engine??

777hp

Known Member
Jan 12, 2005
Visit site
no apex seal stronger then mazda original , many top rotary tuner in states , japan and australia agrees with that , It hold more temp and will not melt ,

Dowel are the allightment pin between the rotor housing and side plate , stock engine has only 2 dowel pin in between each rotor , they normally add in extra 4~6 aditional or extra dowel can withstand more boost without twisting rotor housing .

stock oil pallet are base on tempreture range before it close to get more oil on the essentric shaft lubricated , with the oil pallet shimmed or changing them to a block off piece will get oil directly pressured to the shaft all the time ,

any pro and cons are welcome .

:)

777hp

Known Member
Jan 12, 2005
Visit site
aftermarket seals are not bad , but just they are not up to some specs on racer or tuner requirement , I dont think that apex seal can take abuse on detonation , a simple mistake on tuning can blow it away ,

but with stock computer and boosting level , I dont think you need to worry about that .

Well heard that 3 window bearings are the best bearing , till now i just use stock , they works well , with proper lubrication will prevent the bearing to wear out , commonly that a bearing wear out badly , due to sudden accelation or turbo kicks in rapidly ,

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

FOCAL POINT would like to wish all our Muslim customers and supporters Selamat Hari Raya Aidil Fitri. Thank you all the support, patronage and confidence in Tufoil. We also would like to wish all of you a safe and a pleasant ' Balik Kampong '. Cheers!
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience