Seeking advise from Toyota Sifus around! AE101 & AE111

ckchew666

Aug 28, 2005
KL, M'sia
Hi,

I'm new comer to this forum and Toyota as well :)

Currently, I'm looking for a used Toyota AE101 & AE111 SEG.

1) I've check out some AE101 (96`) & AE111 (97`), around RM42K. I wonder why the price in market for this two model are about the same (one new model, one older model!) Is that because AE101 is a better built car than AE111?

2) Is there 2 version of AE111? With crystal lamp and without crystal lamp?

3) With budget around RM52K, is that advisible to go for a Toyota SEG (crystal lamp) or better get some other cars like Waja/Gen-2?

Hope to get some valuable advise around....

Thanks.

Regards,
CK Chew

suma_

Known Member
Jun 3, 2005
DU
that a lot of budget
why don't you browse some of topics down there, got a few modded SEG ready to drive.

ckchew666

Aug 28, 2005
KL, M'sia
suma_ said:
that a lot of budget
why don't you browse some of topics down there, got a few modded SEG ready to drive.
Hi,

I prefer low mileage stock SEG. For me most important is the realibility. As I'm driving an old satria (11 years++) first batch, the maintenance & petrol consumption is quite high. Rather spending RM1K++ for top overhaul, might as well change to a reliable car - someone suggest me SEG, so that's why I'm here :)

gloss

1,500 RPM
May 23, 2005
SJ
ckchew666 said:
Hi,

I prefer low mileage stock SEG. For me most important is the realibility. As I'm driving an old satria (11 years++) first batch, the maintenance & petrol consumption is quite high. Rather spending RM1K++ for top overhaul, might as well change to a reliable car - someone suggest me SEG, so that's why I'm here :)
11years car. satria some more, ur pistons wear off, tats y ur fuel consumption is high man. dun do overhaul, go get a better car.

after than muz maintain ur engine owes, keep it cool. if dunno. can ask.. use Q8. sure perform better. seg is a good car. specially the twin cam 20v. not a weak car at all.

Raymond_Hu

500 RPM
Oct 26, 2004
Cheras
Visit site
my SE(G) also 14years since it built end of 1991. What can I say is ... realibity of the car quite good ..... although it was 14 years old, but the quality is better than some of the proton .... no offence to proton, it just my comments

EG9

2,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Subang Jaya
I think he's looking for stock standard AE101 or AE111 Corolla.
Don't racun him, he just want to drive reliable car.
You won't go wrong with above mentioned car if you looking for reliability.

Welcome to the family!!!

ckchew666

Aug 28, 2005
KL, M'sia
dreamy: I'm not good into car, so I guess a stock car will be the easiest to take with, right? Anywhere i'm not in urgent, so can spend my sweet time hunt around :)

gloss: That's the feedback I got from my friend (play car), besides the interior also time to 'die' so no point overhaul :) That's why I'm hunting around for a good one, but he recommend me for AE101, but I like AE111. He says AE111 got a common spring/absober problem. True?

Raymond: This is true, even I'm not a toyota owner, but I can see their market value is quite high! so must be something good with them :)

EG9: Yes, I'm looking for a well maintain AE111 only, the problem is I'm not sure I should go with AE101 or AE111 since my friend warn me on the common AE111 suspension problem :( The oldest model of AE111 (no crytsal lamp) is the same price with AE101! Around RM42K, but I think the newest version of AE111 (with stock sport rim) cost ard RM50++

fritz

1,000 RPM
Jan 11, 2005
Malaysia
www.mrbaoz.com.my
Ae111 no suspension problem la..gf's car 5 years alr suspension still nice nice..
SEG is a good car..my car Ae101..year 92..already 13 years. In this 13 years, no major engine problem and never "mati engine" b4. Reliable..!!

4agze

2,000 RPM
Jan 25, 2004
KL
Visit site
if you dont want your car "terbakar" while driving (Gen-2)... if you dont want your meter, suspension "kong" in a year (Waja)...

then take toyota lor... i also dont want buy new proton because say "Tak Nak" campaign against talak kualiti car

EG9

2,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Subang Jaya
ckchew666 said:
dreamy: I'm not good into car, so I guess a stock car will be the easiest to take with, right? Anywhere i'm not in urgent, so can spend my sweet time hunt around :)

gloss: That's the feedback I got from my friend (play car), besides the interior also time to 'die' so no point overhaul :) That's why I'm hunting around for a good one, but he recommend me for AE101, but I like AE111. He says AE111 got a common spring/absober problem. True?

Raymond: This is true, even I'm not a toyota owner, but I can see their market value is quite high! so must be something good with them :)

EG9: Yes, I'm looking for a well maintain AE111 only, the problem is I'm not sure I should go with AE101 or AE111 since my friend warn me on the common AE111 suspension problem :( The oldest model of AE111 (no crytsal lamp) is the same price with AE101! Around RM42K, but I think the newest version of AE111 (with stock sport rim) cost ard RM50++

For your information EE90, AE92, AE100, AE101, AE111 all sharing the same suspension.
There is no such thing that AE111 got suspension problem, maybe your friend mentioned about different bushing at the front crossmember, the durability is proven and if it's tear off, you can look for replacement in most of the spare part shop.
Your friend really have to understand the car properly and not just listen to those ppl comment and simply give misleading information.

In this forum, you can get the information that you're looking for.

Last edited:

ckchew666

Aug 28, 2005
KL, M'sia
dreamy, fritz: Okie, seems like AE111 is a good buy then. According to jun kit, there are 3 version of AE111:
1st=non crystal headlamp & non crystal rear lamp
2nd=front&rear wif crystal lamp (i'm drivin wan)
3rd=is wif original sportrim & antena bhind da boot (som wif ORIGINAL
BODYKIT)
So, the 3rd version is the latest I guess, should be around year 1999, am I right?

4agze: Seems like a 5 - 6 year Toyota AE111 has a better realibility than a new Waja/Gen-2? COrrect me if I'm wrong!

EG9: Alright, thanks for your info, maybe I got my fren's msg wrong, as I'm not good into car. If that's the case then AE111 3rd generation is the best choice, based on my budget <RM52K? Thanks.

BlurBlur

Known Member
Aug 4, 2005
KL
im driving 96' ae111, FYI, 96' & 97' AE111 is the same, 98'-00' are the ones with crystal lamps, :wink:

btw, now im driving a front crystal lamp with non crytsal rear lamp hahahaa.. (mods) :tongue:

yolk

1,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
PJ
Visit site
for that amount of money your best bet would be a 2000 ae111 crystal light model ... fyi ae111 only had two models the one from 96-97 and 98-2000 ... the one with the bodykit is the same version as crystal light except it came with original bodykit from toyota .... ae101 and ae111 has 99% same undercarriage so everything is interchangeable so there's no such thing as ae111 suspension got problem ... for suspension the best stock suspension for the corolla SEG is getting kayaba japan ... this will improve the ride quality of the car .. the stock ae111 suspension is too soft especially the rear and will sink tremendously when loaded with people or stuff in the boot ... other than that the 2000 corolla is definately a better buy compared to waja/gen2 unless you rather have a new car than a used car ...

ckchew666

Aug 28, 2005
KL, M'sia
dreamy: Thanks, wait till I managed to hunt for a good one, then I'm consider fully into this club....a lot more to learn from you guys :)

BlurBlur: So far you face any problem with the 96` AE111? How's the petrol consumption and maintenance like (around RM100/normal service)?

Blitzkreig: Blur blur front crystal lamp? You modified already izzit? I taught if crystal, should be front & rear! How come urs mixed liao?

yolk: Very informative, thanks a lot. For me new or used does not matter. If getting a new car, but always have to repair, I'd rather get a used reliability car like Corolla as highly recommended by everyone around :) The one with ori bodykit also in year 98-2000? What is the corolla call/look after than, or in year 2001 onwards? <--- Altis? Sorry newbie here try to grab some toyota history :)

suma_

Known Member
Jun 3, 2005
DU
Yup, corolla is reliable.

last time i found 1 stock ee100 yr 94, maroon color - rm39k
really sound like new car, very2 silent, well maintained la of course.
but sold already on the next 2 days.... aiyakkk

but to find corolla with low mileage is very2 rare, cos drivers love to travel a lot with their high reliable car.... that's why the mileage can reach 100k easily... :biggrin:

BlurBlur

Known Member
Aug 4, 2005
KL
ckchew666 said:
dreamy: Thanks, wait till I managed to hunt for a good one, then I'm consider fully into this club....a lot more to learn from you guys :)

BlurBlur: So far you face any problem with the 96` AE111? How's the petrol consumption and maintenance like (around RM100/normal service)?

Blitzkreig: Blur blur front crystal lamp? You modified already izzit? I taught if crystal, should be front & rear! How come urs mixed liao?

yolk: Very informative, thanks a lot. For me new or used does not matter. If getting a new car, but always have to repair, I'd rather get a used reliability car like Corolla as highly recommended by everyone around :) The one with ori bodykit also in year 98-2000? What is the corolla call/look after than, or in year 2001 onwards? <--- Altis? Sorry newbie here try to grab some toyota history :)
the ae111 is a very fuel economy car, as it is build to be that way, economy type. A full tank can roughly drive up to 350-400km. Went up to genting and back without any problem and drank not more than 15liters. Suspension is as yolk said, soft at rear end. But it let my car looks cool coz with 16" rims and naturally lowered! lol. Very comfy ride. Maintanence fees? not very sure, mostly done by myself and dad, dad is a mechanic.

It's not call BlurBlur crystal lamp =.= , Blitzkreig is refering to me. We have mod the front lamp into crystal lamp only. AE111 only came out up to year 2000 in malaysia if im not mistaken. Altis is just another type under the corolla series. And im a newbie too! :smile:

normality78

3,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
JB
Visit site
yeah, the year 2000 seg rear was really soft. So far, i still dunno wat to do about it. But i felt my AE111 suspension is really world class. whahahah

ckchew666

Aug 28, 2005
KL, M'sia
Thx for all the info from the sifus...so based on the info given, there is no big issue with the seg SE111 suspension, just that a bit softer only.

BTW, can anyone highlight what are the common problem with AE111? or could it be none....?

Attached is the two pic of AE111. One with crystal lamp and another without crystal lamp, am I right? The crystal lamp one, the grill looks different and nice :)

dreamy

1,000 RPM
Dec 25, 2004
Visit site
ofcoz da crystal is nicer...hehe da price also higher la :biggrin:
hmm wat r da common problem??
if for stock....ther is no problem at all
own da car for 6 years drive 2year adi nothin at all
tat's for my car la..other's duno

normality78

3,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
JB
Visit site
yup. im also having the crystal light 1. nice car to drive but abit lack of power. and abit thirsty on auto. heheheheh. still looking for bodykit though

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Dear DIY sifus,

I bought 1 autometer afr meter. try to get sigal from the o2 sensor but didn't get a single reading. it shows all the way lean. am i getting the right wire? i hook up to a wire of 1 of the sensor near the turbo manifold. there's 2 wire, 1 is white and the other one is black. both came out same result.

hope sifus here can help out on this.

Thanks
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience