r34 gtt vs s15 vs sti v9

Driftmeister

500 RPM
Jun 17, 2005
KL
This is stupid but worked for me. Give urself a scenario, if you had only 1 day to live and could spend your last day driving only one of these cars to the max, which would it be? A stock STI V9, or mildly modded S15 and 34GTT, and you have to choose now, within 10 seconds, or die instantly. Which is your answer? Quick!
Nice one Russ...next time we will do this mind game selection when clubbing eh? Which would it be tonight...long hair, short hair, long legs, size XXX, fair, tan etc hehehe

:shades_smile:

V-Spec

Nov 28, 2003
Wah so easy mer? Wishful thinking man. hehehe

Liner

Known Member
May 4, 2005
y wouldnt the gtr be drivable? The clutch is different from the GTT's one's push, one's pull and in traffic conditions the GTT will be less pain in the arse. And also the issue of thefts i was thinking... being left over the same place for long periods of time unattended attracts attention as what happens here in Australia for large amounts of thefts of skylines. Does anyone else thinks a GTR will be suitable for a daily?

mafia_boyz

Known Member
Dec 9, 2004
Visit site
Liner all cars are made for daily use... it just when owners start to tune their cars with crazy power which need the use of a racing cluth is when then ppl think it;s undrivable due to traffic and such and remember our road condition is not like in california smooth with no potholes and silly man made speed bumps.. those ppl there drive their super cars daily....
theft can be find everywhere... it reallt depends where you park... and how lucky you are..

satigue

Known Member
Apr 21, 2005
with kl jam, i dun thk GTR is a daily drive car. unless u wun mind spending alot on petrol money. can anyone tell me whose GTR is not modded & still stock std? :)

satigue

Known Member
Apr 21, 2005
Nice one Russ...next time we will do this mind game selection when clubbing eh? Which would it be tonight...long hair, short hair, long legs, size XXX, fair, tan etc hehehe

:shades_smile:
YB, come let's go sapphire pub....hehe....

satigue

Known Member
Apr 21, 2005
Hello Liner,
Maybe a guy who has owned or driven all 3 cars can give u a better picture, like maybe SKAGEE?? ;)
But as many have said as well, look at the costs of maintenance, daily drivability, etc, coz its up to your wants and needs. Also test driving urself will give u a better picture..
This is pretty similar to the dilemma I had prior to buying my car. Because I couldn’t afford a more expensive car, I had to save longer, but its all up to how much u are prepared and willing to sacrifice for what u want.

This is stupid but worked for me. Give urself a scenario, if you had only 1 day to live and could spend your last day driving only one of these cars to the max, which would it be? A stock STI V9, or mildly modded S15 and 34GTT, and you have to choose now, within 10 seconds, or die instantly. Which is your answer? Quick!

Ok, times up.
Now you have ur answer, what you really want subconsciously deep inside.. hehehe :)

PS: russwestwood reserves the right to bare 0% liability should the above method prove ineffective in the rare event the buyer later regrets the choice he so free-willingly makes! :).
Russ, how come GTR's not on yr list? i rather die cos GTR's not in yr list. :regular_smile:

russwestwood

500 RPM
Feb 14, 2006
ofloveandcarbonfibre.blogspot.com
Satigue, u rather die if GTR isnt on ur list? Kakakaa... hardcore GTR fan lah u, hope u are still saving up, maybe price drop soon with 2007 GTR about to be launched.. :)
GTR is not on the list coz the topic says only GTT, STI & S15 lah, if I had it my way of course G34 GTR M Spec NUR will be on the list also.. hehehe...

Driftmeister, I want long hair, slim, long legs and lots of money!!... kekeke

Liner.. u choose STI?? Hiseh... ur not living up the the expectations of ur nick.. :P
Are your reasons for not having the GTR on ur list ONLY due to daily drivability & theft and not financial reasons?

Well, i think daily drivability is also dependable on certain factors... Like, if driven daily do you face heavy traffic? distance from work, etc.. for me I drive my GTR everyday when im back in KL, as I dont drive it at all when im at work, so I dont have to drive to work daily, and I know when to avoid traffic. A stock GTR may be suitable for driving daily to work, so long as you work near home and fuel consumption is not a big issue. Cheaka told my missus that there is a lady whom drives her 34 V-spec to the market.
Theft is something nobody would like happen to any car, be it a GTR, GTT, Silvia or even kanchil.
Having a racing clutch is good excercise for your feet! And is only a matter of getting used to. I'd preffer having a tricky clutch and driving a beast than to have to wait for public transport & use the bus. Its all very relative, isnt it?

Last edited:

Liner

Known Member
May 4, 2005
There is a fair chance of getting the GTR.... althoguh its slim. Im considering these options because these cars i see are more daily drivable. Because there are limited of cars at home, i need to use it as a daily as well. If there isnt the transport issue to work then maybe the GTR has alot higher chance. Russ, so you drive ur GTR to work everyday too ? Dont quite get the part u drive it everyday but not to work?

Of course no one would want their cars to be broken into and stolen, but these casr are more susceptible for targets as their have the goodies in them and thieves tend to target these cars, as the thread started yesterday i think about few skylines being broken into.

I pick the sti because having know the limitations of a FR and owning the r32 for sometime now , i thought of having something different especially when the grip of the v9 is tremendous. So if according to your scenario, yea the sti.

The issue about if work is near home or not, that can only be a hopeful thought as the might be and might not be. I think its better be prepared that it isnt ( still on a job hunt now )

mAzTT

Dec 13, 2004
Liner.. u choose STI?? Hiseh... ur not living up the the expectations of ur nick.. :P
Are your reasons for not having the GTR on ur list ONLY due to daily drivability & theft and not financial reasons?

What if its a personal preference, and not due to financial constraints ?
Not very nice of you to question that brotha.

So someone who doesnt want a GTR doesnt have money ?

Back on topic, a good point russwestwood pointed out earlier is to avoid traffic when and where possible, im sure you know the ins and outs of KL very well, and on top of that russ mentioned that even a lady drives the V-Spec to the market. So don't be a pansy Liner Haha just kidding.

I think its fair to say that a BPU (Basic Performance Upgrades) 34 GTR is still very much drivable, as the feel of the car is pretty much near-stock feel (provided suspension and clutch upgrades arent included in the BPU). Clutch wise i would say, to each his/her own, if u feel like u need a left leg calves work out then by all means. :)

As for thefts, if you're going to be spending money on a such a car at such a price (Be it the STi, S15 or the GTT), before you spend money on mods, try to beef up your security a lil bit. Things like immobilizer and a security tint like Lumar (not promoting, but recommended based on personal experience) should be on your top priority lists.

Security tinting = below 3,000 RM

guages
ecu
stereo
door glass
and god knows what else

= upwards of 10,000 RM

Of course, it will not guarantee 100% safety, but you can decrease the probability and increase your ease of mind. The power of our thoughts is a very strong thing. :)

russwestwood

500 RPM
Feb 14, 2006
What if its a personal preference, and not due to financial constraints ?
Not very nice of you to question that brotha.

So someone who doesnt want a GTR doesnt have money ?
No lah bro, didnt mean it that way. And why isnt it a nice question? I want to own a SL65AMG, but because of other financial restrictions, like house, kids, other investments & timing, I cant go and buy it right now, as the timing has to be right. My definition of financial reasons was not directed at 'not having money', as you assumed.

Ok lah, better not talk about finances, as it may be quite touchy and sensitive to some.

Liner, an STI is a great choice and a magnificent piece of machinery. But as you asked, my choice would be the R34 as it is a dying breed, and newer versions may not have the same feel to it. But for you whom have already owned an R32, perhaps this isnt the case.
Oh, I work on a ship, and when im off the ship, Im on leave, so I drive for the sole purpose of driving.. :)

Good luck on your choice & hope all our opinions have helped you narrow your choice & not make things worse! :) Also good luck on getting a job near home! Im sure we all hate traffic...

Last edited:

Liner

Known Member
May 4, 2005
Yea russ agreed , it is a dying breed, thats y i want the r34 gtr irregardless if the new one will kick arse or not. But yea if it boils down to these 3 options u guys have helped alot in narrowing down my options and choices. Thanks. Will see how it goes in further months... still in overseas now, not much can be done yet

SiGNAL

500 RPM
Nov 16, 2003
Ya Mum's House
Visit site
imho, gtr for a daily driver is really not sensible.

1) Devalue the car because of the mileage
2) Fuel guzzler, I heard from a gtr owner that full tank can only go 220km????
3) Not the most comfortable car in the world to travel in daily compare to the GTT/S15/STi

If u want stock, I reckon the STi is good(4 door somemore). If u wanna mod, there's only GTT and S15 I guess. S15 for style and comfort. GTT is bigger and more well built than S15, if your bigger than 6", u might want to take GTT as S15 dont like anything too tall. If got sunroof, even worse. Take ur pick.

Last edited:

Liner

Known Member
May 4, 2005
Yea i agree its really not sensible for daily too, regarding devaluing the car coz of the mileage i guess its a car where i will use until it really cant be used... even so , some 33gtr u see nowdays, the mileage dont play much role in their value. Not so sure about 220km , i think thats abit extreme or really rich AFR's lol. My friend is running 330rwkw and his full tank is 400kms .
As to not the most comfortable car compared to those 3 cars, im not sure about other factors when aftermarket suspension start coming in as they will be the same harshness ride. The only thing different i can tell of is the clutch type... one is push, one is pull .

Nope, wont be keeping the car stock for sure and personally 4 door is a disadvantage for me rather than a plus point.

But anyhow, if a gtr it is , prolly get a cheapie under 10k car as daily.

Cheers

russwestwood

500 RPM
Feb 14, 2006
Why are there so many that feel a GTR is not comfortable? Ive been in quite a few cars, and I personally feel that the R34GTR's stock seats are are probably one of the most comfortable bucket seats around. U dont feel like you're trapped in a box, at the same time you get a nice shoulder fit, and great handling feedback. I also feel that the stock Vspec suspension is just right, not too hard or soft. With a nismo bodykitt, I slow down a lot for pot holes & speedbumps, and dont feel uncomfortable at all with a stiff'ish ride. Not even during long distance trips. Ive noticed that during highway trips, the rear seated passenger may feel uncomfortable due to the positioning & bumpy ride, but for the front seats its no problem.
Satigue, you have a GTT, and you've been in my car for a ride, did u feel its uncomfortable??
Maybe after changing my suspension soon, I might feel otherwise, but will definitely keep the stock ones just in case! :)
I also prefer 2 doors which promise better rigidity.
I get about 300km to 3/4 tank, as I dont like to run less than 1/4 tank, but all depends on driving style.
Devaluation?? Whats that? :)
All I can say is that im not getting any younger and im gonna only live once. As much as I would like to take my car to the grave, I cant, so I will be making it a lifelong partner & using her to a fair old ripe age, regardless of mileage.. all I can do is to maintain her as best as I can..

So Liner, u might be getting a GTR then, eh? Good on ya.
But even if you dont, feel free to drop by our TTs with whatever ride you're in.. :)