r34 gtt vs s15 vs sti v9

Liner

Known Member
May 4, 2005
Hey guys just wondering whats your opinion on these cars. I know each has their own uniqueness, but just wondering if anyone owns either of these before and willing to share their experiences such as daily drivability and so on . The sti version 9 should be by far has the most performance but in terms of styling not really a big fan of it. So yea... given the three, which would you guys choose ? something also to commute daily to work.

Innocente

Known Member
Oct 28, 2006
How did you derive the thought that the STI Version 9 having "by far" the most performance ?

mafia_boyz

Known Member
Dec 9, 2004
Visit site
liner... i think what trying to get is a very subjective answer.. different ppls have different views on cars...
i own a wrx...a evo 9 and a lotus elise... and i can;t say that who beats who... because all these cars are design for a purpose.. i.e the lotus is a superb track car.. for fas and tight corner.. due to the lightweight and able to do very late braking.. but if evo and wrx.. can beat the lotus on the long straight...althought with awd, ayc dccd... the lotus could pull more G's in the corner...

thus it really depends on what you really wan in your car... and just to let you know.. the version 9 or any scooby is quite expensive and hard to modify..not because of parts.. but due to the engine layout...not forgeting that the scooby uses 4 cam shaft meanwhile the S15 and GTT 34R is twincam.... just to do a normal cylinder head swap or high cam the labour charges would be cheaper because less work is needed to be done comepared to a subaru where the engine is needed to be drop do take out the cylinder head..

in my opinion the the skyline have more capability in performance due to a larger engine displacement.. not saying that the subaru is limited.. but lets say you wan to reach 350bhp on wheel.. the amount of mod for thr GTT would be much more less then a subaru.. due to the diplacement..

Liner

Known Member
May 4, 2005
Thanks for the feedback guys. What you said about the rex has made me thought thoroughly that tuning is harder on it compared to other cars... So i guess it boils down to s15 and 34gtt. Then again performance wise the 34gtt would be better in terms of potential but IMO the s15 looks better :p or another option such as 33gtr lol

Liner

Known Member
May 4, 2005
I said the sti v9 by having the most performance in relation to stock form and just on track and twisties capability.

CSx8213x

1,000 RPM
Mar 8, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
totally agree with mafia boy ....

my foreman also suggest be go for skyline RB engine.... more easy to get the HP ... my fren owned a subaru last time ... really expensive in workmanship for repair or modify ....

Deep$hi+$

Known Member
Aug 24, 2004
KL
Visit site
IMO, S15 is much more superb in terms of handling, response. GTT is more towards max HP things. On a normal street drive, I will go for S15 bacause of the response and the ease of driving, but if I need a car for Wangan at high speed, GTT is much more suitable.

thehornbag

Jan 3, 2007
This is the same thing I experience before I got my car. GTT, S15 or the STI (let say V8) But my honest opinion, go test drive the car regardless of what you have been hearing. Generally the S15 should be nimbler and zippy as compare to the GTT or the STI but the sheer amount of grip the STI is able to provide is no where both of the other car could provide. So just test drive and see which one you will like. =) Cheers

Liner

Known Member
May 4, 2005
Yea the dilemma is there, after owning an r32, thought of switching to something different . In my opinion, the interior and exterior of the s15 is the best of the 3 options, looks stylish, and sporty sits low but the engine would not be as tough as the rb or sti. Handling wise i have actually heard from most of my s15 friends that they are not the best handling car . So im not sure if they are better handling car than the skyline. But at the moment seems like the choice is pretty much down to GTT although for daily application the s15 will be much better lol

thehornbag

Jan 3, 2007
Judging from all the previous post, it all now boils down to GTT or the S15 ya? If my assumption is right on the rocks, then look at the post-purchasing issue such as the maintenance,petrol consumption and e.t.c. Pretty sure the GTT will be slighty heavier on the maintenance,

S15 and GTT are both heavily base on the predecessors which is quite some time ago, e.g 1995-1998ish? thus it will be difficult to beat the newer cars base on stock to stock comparison. So yet again go give it a test drive, your friend judgment is his own not yours, ;)

I do agree on the interior of the S15, seems sportier or even stylish but GTT is ain't half bad, imho. =)

Driftmeister

500 RPM
Jun 17, 2005
KL
Decide what you want from your car, everyday driving / maintenance / ease of getting spare parts / annual running cost. Work that out first then decide on the shape or make you want. Hearing from ppl is one thing, test driving one yourself will set your mind on your preference. All these cars handle great if you put the right driver in it. Try letting a novice to drive a Porsche around Sepang, even a good driver in a Tyre R integra can overtake him.

I like big and heavier car so they are more stable on highways, but with a little mods on the suspension & tyre setup will make it handle better.

Hope you find your right ride...

russwestwood

500 RPM
Feb 14, 2006
ofloveandcarbonfibre.blogspot.com
Hello Liner,
Maybe a guy who has owned or driven all 3 cars can give u a better picture, like maybe SKAGEE?? ;)
But as many have said as well, look at the costs of maintenance, daily drivability, etc, coz its up to your wants and needs. Also test driving urself will give u a better picture..
This is pretty similar to the dilemma I had prior to buying my car. Because I couldn’t afford a more expensive car, I had to save longer, but its all up to how much u are prepared and willing to sacrifice for what u want.

This is stupid but worked for me. Give urself a scenario, if you had only 1 day to live and could spend your last day driving only one of these cars to the max, which would it be? A stock STI V9, or mildly modded S15 and 34GTT, and you have to choose now, within 10 seconds, or die instantly. Which is your answer? Quick!

Ok, times up.
Now you have ur answer, what you really want subconsciously deep inside.. hehehe :)

PS: russwestwood reserves the right to bare 0% liability should the above method prove ineffective in the rare event the buyer later regrets the choice he so free-willingly makes! :).

Liner

Known Member
May 4, 2005
according to your scenario, i prolly pick the sti v9, But then again if r34 gtr was in the picture.... that would be it. r34gtr is not possible because it has to be a daily,kinda extreme in my opinion if i were to drive the gtr everyday. Theft possibility too.

mAzTT

Dec 13, 2004
according to your scenario, i prolly pick the sti v9, But then again if r34 gtr was in the picture.... that would be it. r34gtr is not possible because it has to be a daily,kinda extreme in my opinion if i were to drive the gtr everyday. Theft possibility too.

Actually even that is subjective, a car is as drivable as an individual makes it out to be. And why wouldnt the GTR be driveable if it is in stock form ?

Sorry to digress, looking back to the topic, using the russel method, i picked the STi (but thats just me). Well to be honest im not in a position to say anything really, simply because i have not owned any of those aforementioned cars.

As for you............... you already know what you want brotha. In fact its already decided. You just don't know it yet. Haha :)

Driftmeister

500 RPM
Jun 17, 2005
KL
This is stupid but worked for me. Give urself a scenario, if you had only 1 day to live and could spend your last day driving only one of these cars to the max, which would it be? A stock STI V9, or mildly modded S15 and 34GTT, and you have to choose now, within 10 seconds, or die instantly. Which is your answer? Quick!
Nice one Russ...next time we will do this mind game selection when clubbing eh? Which would it be tonight...long hair, short hair, long legs, size XXX, fair, tan etc hehehe

:shades_smile:

V-Spec

Nov 28, 2003
Wah so easy mer? Wishful thinking man. hehehe

Liner

Known Member
May 4, 2005
y wouldnt the gtr be drivable? The clutch is different from the GTT's one's push, one's pull and in traffic conditions the GTT will be less pain in the arse. And also the issue of thefts i was thinking... being left over the same place for long periods of time unattended attracts attention as what happens here in Australia for large amounts of thefts of skylines. Does anyone else thinks a GTR will be suitable for a daily?

mafia_boyz

Known Member
Dec 9, 2004
Visit site
Liner all cars are made for daily use... it just when owners start to tune their cars with crazy power which need the use of a racing cluth is when then ppl think it;s undrivable due to traffic and such and remember our road condition is not like in california smooth with no potholes and silly man made speed bumps.. those ppl there drive their super cars daily....
theft can be find everywhere... it reallt depends where you park... and how lucky you are..

satigue

Known Member
Apr 21, 2005
with kl jam, i dun thk GTR is a daily drive car. unless u wun mind spending alot on petrol money. can anyone tell me whose GTR is not modded & still stock std? :)