Question: Evo8 vs Evo9...

DRiftAGster

Known Member
Jul 6, 2004
not sure if anyone posted this before but I am curious to know what are the difference in terms of performance between this 2 model??

all i know is evo 9 comes with Mivec, how much does the MIVEC helps? ofcoz in stock condition it helps the torque in low & mid range but what if extreme mod - meaning something like huge turbo + strengthen internal expecting 450hp and above, will we still feel the difference? Any heavily modded evo9 owner here mind to share?

leslie

2,000 RPM
Aug 14, 2004
duno about e8 vs e9 yet!!!!! but stock e7 vs stock e9.. e9 wins hands down!!!!
lets see what our other zthians have to say!!!!

Stormvolution 9

3,000 RPM
Jun 18, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
Bro,

De biggest different btw E8 n E9 is.... E9 turbo can 'Boom' easily n E8 not!!! LoLz.... :_: I think i hv got 4-5 Evo IX frens 'Boom' their turbo liao... Very strange!!! Til date Mitsu still dunno what hv actually went wrong (99% of de broken turbine r those with Megnesium material)??? Its de exhuast turbo fins tht break!!! And luckily not de intake side as if de fins debris happens to 'fly' into de intercooler or engine... Walan Eh... Tai Chee Tua Tiao ah!!! I think it must hv something to do with de regular boost spike!!! From de meter reading... it can b spiked up to 1.7bar!!! Walan eh... Scary mannnn....

Ok, lets go back to what hv u asked!!! With de MIVEC, de turbo now kicking in @ 3000rpm... And 80% of de torque power oso come in from 2750rpm and all the way til 6500rpm if am not wrong!!! This means de E9 is more responsive than E8 (stock to stock)... If u do some net search, u wil b able to realise de E9 turbo housing r slightly different from de E8MR's (E9's slightly bigger)

There r few big name tuner house in Jap hv done an 450hp Evo IX for track purpose!!! And guess what... they hv all dismantled de MIVEC thingy in order to do so... With this i guess its not much difference...

On de other hand, there r few well known Jap performance makers namely HKS n JUN just to name few, r actually doing R&D on de 'special' cams for de MIVEC!!! Which means they r using back de MIVEC technology in order to gain more power... I hv posted a result from a US side where a tuner is using 280 exhuast cam to match with ori intake cams with bigger fuel pump + ECU + some other minor thingy and de Evo IX tht they hv tested able to grin out 380hp on de ori E9 turbo (Titanium fins not de troublesome megnesium fins turbine of cause!!!).... Mind u, de cams tht r able to fit E9 r totally different from all other cams tht can fit E1-8 MR, provided tht u taken out de MIVEC thingy...

Mmm... myself oso waitng for de cams to b marketed!!! :_: Cos it seems like a good investment!!! Once its out, i'll keep u guys update... Actually i hv done lotsa researches on de cams for E9 lately... Very interesting!!! And worth de wait!!!

Cheers man... Hope this help to answer ur Q!!! :_:

DRiftAGster

Known Member
Jul 6, 2004
Hi Bro S9,

Thanks for the explanation!! So I guess I am quite right about the fact that when it goes above 450hp with bigger turbine, the Mivec doesn't help much anymore.

The reason I was asking is that I am thinking whether to buy a brand new E9 or buy a used E8 -- I am not in malaysia, if i am in malaysia, work till the day i die also cannot afford... maybe only can afford the BBS rim of MR.....hehehe :) luckily here in US cars are cheaper, so hopefully by early next yr i can get myself an evo.

Cos used E8 now in US is appx 20k++ maybe cheaper by next year but brand new is 33k++(E9 MR), and i am a hardcore power freak - so with the difference on the price, i can spend more on the mods. if i buy brand new, then no budget for mod already. and the only signicant difference between 8 & 9 is the mivec, that is why i asked.

-- BTW, do you know of any other significant difference between 8 & 9 other than the MIVEC?

** turbo "boom" is ok, hehehe... give you reason to upgrade bigger turbine.... :)

cyilaw

500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
kuantan
Visit site
if u get the after market stand alone ecu which can adjust the MIVEC timing, u will get benefit while u having big turbo. having big turbo u normally will feel the turbo lag, with adjust the mivec timing, can reduce some turbo lag and get power in low rev untill high rev.

E8 and E9 in malaysia have the suspension, interior, engine and ACD/AYC different.
if E8MR, itshare with the same suspension system (Blistein), same engine power (same hp figure but E9 will less lag with MIVEC on it, smooth power from low rev while E8MR still can feel abit lag in range 1K-2K--rpm) and interior E9 got leather seat and same ACD/AYC setting.

DRiftAGster

Known Member
Jul 6, 2004
cyilaw - thanks!

i am not familiar with mivec -- you say with standalone ECU we can adjust the cam timing which will help minimize turbo lag, do we still need to change the cam or just re-adjusting the cam timing will do? cos S9 is saying there are some special cams coming out??

in short - hardware or software?? or both?

and i think you are right that the mivec still helps cos i remember i saw a clip where HKS put a variable valve timing on thr RB26 with 600+hp, and the test drive proves that there is a difference with the VVT (or watever u call it) on and off....

Stormvolution 9

3,000 RPM
Jun 18, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
Wow!!! USD110k can own an Aston Martin in US!!! :_: Over here in Msia u need to pay more than a million RM in order to own it!!! Hahaha... With tht figure, u can onli get a Porsche Boxter or a Merc SLK200 in Msia man... What a big big different!!!

Yup! Tht's de Valcam or something tht HKS developed for de RB engine in order to get de VVTi kinda result where de air intake timing r being prolong thus it wil oso reduce turbo lag!!! So if HKS can come out with something similar to tht for E9, then it wil b great!!! Actually i bought lotsa Jap Mag, n it show tht HKS n JUN r developing de 'special' cams n ECU for E9 with de same objective mentioned above!!! They believe with de MIVEC help + big turbo... It wil hv great results!!! Tht's y i said its worth de WAIT lo!!! :_: Since u buying Evo next yr... Might as well wait n see what gonna happen next man!!!

Besides, E9 do hv de improve version for de ACD/AYC n Sport ABS for de car compare to E8/MR... But as far as i know, in US de Evos doesnt come with AYC... Am i right?

Cheers bro!! :_:

khairiaz

Known Member
Jan 21, 2006
hi guys, I'm also a serious potential Evo buyer...hehehe...currently reside in the midddle east, Evo and Sti here are cheap, not sure if I can buy these cars in malaysia.

S9 and cyilaw, thanks for the info. good for newbie like me, hehehe...you quite scared me regarding the blow of the mag turbo.

I have read in few magazines that Mitsu is launching Evo 10 in the 4th quarter next year. have you got any idea the significant difference between Evo9 and 10, besides the looks and body styling?

kwai

1,500 RPM
Dec 18, 2004
Perak
Visit site
bro, saw ur spec sheet for US...

seems tat they're selling evo in 3 versions... RS, IX, MR, all come with mivec turbo engine...
get the evo9 MR... 6 speed gearbox... :D

frm the spec sheet, i think US don't offer AYC/Super AYC... but i think i read rear 1.5 way lsd.. :P

btw, read somewhere there's actually 2 turbine choice when u purchase evo9.. megnesium turbine n titanium...
megnesium is lighter, giv faster spool up, but now seems got some prob...
then i think i'll go for titanium... if i can afford... :P

33k USD is really cheap.... ard RM120k.. for that price we only can op for 2nd hand 1999 evo6.. here...

brand new evo9 here is about rm250k-280k

more than double of the price there...

and frankie speaking, the average income here is very low... fresh graduate gets about rm150... which ard USD$349 only...

sob i can't afford an evo, not even a used one.. but i wish u all enjoy ur evo... btw, i watch a video frm streetfire, a garaged tuned evo MR dynoed AWHP 988~!!! without NOS... crazy~! hehe~! :D

Civic-R

500 RPM
Oct 8, 2004
Earth
Visit site
Reli interesting topic here.Mind sharing all evo sifus is ther ANY difference between EVO8 AYC/ACD & EVO9 AYC/ACD??I also plan to get a used EVO8 myself here...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Just a few years back, lining up at the starting grid in Ford’s iconic pony car against Bavaria’s finest would have seen you being ridiculed all the way back to the dealer.

Now though, step up to the starting line in your Ford Mustang and the driver of the BMW M3 beside you would have all the reason to firm up the grip on the shifter and step...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience