Question: Ripping out the SatNav

adian

Known Member
Nov 22, 2003
PJ
www.the-yeins.com
I've been considering to this for awhile and have been procrastinating. But with the Raya break coming up, gives me time to fiddle around a bit with the car.

Anyway, my car no longer runs the original head unit, and therefore the GPS system doesnt work. Thus, I might as well pull it. This includes the screen and motor to rotate it, as well as the other stuff that's in the boot.

My questions are:
1. I've seen in Australian forums some guys replace it with a new dash tray. Does anyone here sell em?
2. If I rip out the cr*p in the boot, will affect my currently installed stereo system? I doubt it will, but I might as well just check before I do it.

Thanks.

/adian

---------- Post added at 03:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 PM ----------

Got my answer already, and a swap organised. Thanks Cheng.

altezza8448

Aug 14, 2007
Bro, alternatively you could modify your existing Sat Nav console as a dummy unit. This is what I did to my car, I remove the screen portion of the Sat Nav and turn into a small box and fitted a Garmin portable GPS unit (Model 200W or similar dimension). You can rewire the USB power supply cable to your existing 12volt system.

Sorry about pic detail, was focusing on the traffic jam. :banghead:

Attachments

Last edited:

wfhan

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
selangor
altezza8448,
wow, nice satnav replacement !.. at least the motorized satnav housing is fully utilized!
been thinking to do the same...dou need to trimmed the satnav housing to fit the garmin dimension ? how u mount the garmin in there? double-sided tape ? .. interested to know more..

cash1212

Known Member
Nov 11, 2007
ya please tell us more, and where you did the replacement.

altezza8448

Aug 14, 2007
altezza8448,
wow, nice satnav replacement !.. at least the motorized satnav housing is fully utilized!
been thinking to do the same...dou need to trimmed the satnav housing to fit the garmin dimension ? how u mount the garmin in there? double-sided tape ? .. interested to know more..
Bro, use velcro tape for the housing and unit, so when I go kai-kai overseas can still bring along. :rofl:
Yup, just remove the screen portion only, then made a box out to replace the screen. No trimming required as the screen unit is actually bigger than the Garmin, the GPS unit actually quite slim. Did all this way back in 2007, at the famous car accessories shop in PJ (KK Lau).

Last edited:

wfhan

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
selangor
altezza8448,

meaning u not even need to dismantle the garmin housing, right?
just velcro it into the existing GPS satnav empty space...
your existing gps satnav 'open/close' & 'tilt' button still wired up to function it ?

altezza8448

Aug 14, 2007
altezza8448,

meaning u not even need to dismantle the garmin housing, right?
just velcro it into the existing GPS satnav empty space...
your existing gps satnav 'open/close' & 'tilt' button still wired up to function it ?
Yup, thats correcto mondo bro. No major modification, just unscrew the screen and place in a box (made out of thin wood, painted black). All other functions (open/close/tilt) still operable.
Garmin unit is portable, looks like an Iphone (of course not so nice lah). So you operate the Garmin via touch screen. Just need to connect the USB power supply, which can be connected from your 12Volt system (behind you dashboard). The Garmin unit will turn on & off automatically once you turn on and off your engine. Make sure your Garmin unit is removable as you need to update the maps once in a while through you PC via internet.

wfhan

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
selangor
Yup, thats correcto mondo bro. No major modification, just unscrew the screen and place in a box (made out of thin wood, painted black). All other functions (open/close/tilt) still operable.
Garmin unit is portable, looks like an Iphone (of course not so nice lah). So you operate the Garmin via touch screen. Just need to connect the USB power supply, which can be connected from your 12Volt system (behind you dashboard). The Garmin unit will turn on & off automatically once you turn on and off your engine. Make sure your Garmin unit is removable as you need to update the maps once in a while through you PC via internet.
alright boss!. thanks..

wfhan

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
selangor
MY DIY to rip out the SatNav

Time to revive this topic !.. :P
well.. actually just to share what i've done DIY in ripping out the stock satnav lcd screen recently..

notice this stock satnav lcd screen is damaged, maybe the car prev owner go punch the screen!?

Basically what's holding the satnav, internal case, external case, are just screws ..
only 1~2 area is slide-clip-tab to hold it..

Managed to hook up the satnav motorized tray to
yet another DIY of mine (modding PSU to output 12v)
to test the open/close/tilt functions..
video here -> YouTube - Altezza SatNav

gonna get some velcros and stick the gps there to the white area

* I'm referring to this thread in lexus owner club uk as guide..

Last edited:

wfhan

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
selangor
more info. if u want to test it using any Lab power supply, or like myself, modified an
existing functioning computer power supply to feed DC +12v for test.
refer to this pin layout to test on the motorized (open/close/tilt) functions

separated LCD brackets (main-bracket and sub-bracket) rear view.

separated LCD brackets (main-bracket and sub-bracket) front view.
yup, my LCD screen is dead. the surface is wrinkled.

going to use back these to mount the new GPS...

mokh

Known Member
Oct 18, 2008
i found somewhere (cant remember the source) show the connection for light. when u turn on the light, the SatNav switches will be illuminated.

since it is not included in the tutorial above, i will post it here.

just connect the +ve of the light as per picture below;

result;

:smokin:

doritezza

Known Member
Jul 19, 2008
mokh, for the light, u can connect to illumination signal whether from meter backlight or from your radio wiring. so it only will turn on when u turn on the lamp.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi all sifus!! Wondering if anyone here can advise on how to custom fibre tweeter panels for my wira. What materials do i need? Where can i buy the materials? Finally, how do i do it ? Thanks in advance !!
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience