Question Bout WoOfer BoxeS...

aj_supra

May 18, 2005
KL
is the woofer boxes will affect da sub performance??
i'm now got 2 12" sub-boxes but i dunno which is better.. :confused:

One got a small hole on it tat can get through into the boxes and d other is only da hole for sub but got lots of sponge inside it which da previous one din have.. so.. which box is nicer??? :confused:

rodneyk

Known Member
Apr 11, 2005
Penang
aj_supra said:

One got a small hole on it tat can get through into the boxes and d other is only da hole for sub but got lots of sponge inside it which da previous one din have.. so.. which box is nicer??? :confused:
depends what you want to play
you want more boom then go for the one with a small hole

you wanna play more solid bass for SQ then go for the one with the sponge. The sponge is meant to let your sub thinks the box is slightly bigger so the sound is better. :)

I am using the one without the hole. Sealed box I call it. But instead of using sponge I am using the aquarium filter to fill the inside up to 4-5 layers thick. Too thick isnt good and too thin also isnt good
:)

e1fnd

Known Member
Dec 29, 2004
Sorry to kacau thread

Just want to check rite... If I have a 10" sub.. meaning I would get and produce better SQ if I put in the aquarium filter thingy?

Master D

Known Member
Nov 26, 2004
KL/JB
Visit site
Hi,

Basically it depends on the box you have for your sub as well as the amount of power you have to drive the sub. When the box is sealed, the smaller the box the more power you need to drive it. In general, the smaller the box the tighter the bass. But, due to the two variables of power and enclosure size, the aquarium filter/sponge/polyfill is used only when you feel that maybe the sub is not going low enough or that its not accurate enough.But putting it in, it create an environment where the box would seem smaller. This then attempts to rectify the tone of the sub. Polyfill will by no means help a lot when you are underpowering the sub.

The use of the polyfill is a means of fine tuning, but if your initial constraints of power and enclosure size are too drastic, the polyfill wont help.

Hope this explains. :)

Last edited:

appleyard

500 RPM
Dec 20, 2004
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
e1fnd said:
Just want to check rite... If I have a 10" sub.. meaning I would get and produce better SQ if I put in the aquarium filter thingy?

those polyfill act as the subs may think that they are in a gigger enclosure. The good thing is that your sub may able to play low in a small sealed box. But in reality, it only helps a little.

supra

built a ported box, 4 cu. ft., port tuning to 30hz and you will get SQ and SPL. Sealed enclosure doesnt meant for SQ only. Ported box have more efficientcy and also can play lower than sealed.

i dont know what do you want to achieve but for a box that looks nice wont sound nice. you may check a thread that i post about ported vs sealed.

yobha

Known Member
May 17, 2005
KL
Hi

But remember not all sub could play low.

appleyard

500 RPM
Dec 20, 2004
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
yobha said:
But remember not all sub could play low.
most subs nowdays can play low. With 30hz should be no problem for all subs that i know of. but if you say low means 20hz or lower, it depends on the application.

rodneyk

Known Member
Apr 11, 2005
Penang
appleyard said:
most subs nowdays can play low. With 30hz should be no problem for all subs that i know of. but if you say low means 20hz or lower, it depends on the application.
20hz or lower?????
can our hearing even hear that low?
I thought the lowest note in an orchestra would be about 30hz only?
why want a sub to play that low when you won't be making use of it most of the time or might not even play a note that low in like months.

appleyard

500 RPM
Dec 20, 2004
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
dont be surprise HT subs plays 18 - 25 hz. Where in car it wont make a difference. Below 30hz is just rumble.

But bear in mind the lower you go the less SPL you can achieve.

Kippo

Known Member
Mar 5, 2005
aj_supra said:

a sub box/enclosure will make or break the sub's performance.

since you do not have details of your subs and boxes measurements, just try p[utting your sub in both boxes and see which one you like.

Kippo

Known Member
Mar 5, 2005
you feel low sub-bass note rather than really hear them (those sub 20hz).

yobha

Known Member
May 17, 2005
KL
Hi

appleyard said:
Those spl subbie could not play low but only loud, this is what i mean, there is a formula to calculate which sub is for sq n spl, last time ah siang from megasound teach me but forget liao :D

g88

3,000 RPM
Jan 28, 2004
the one with holes is call ported box and no holes is call seal box.

Seal box need more power to "move" the sub in order for you to heard the "sound"

SQ will go for seal box. SPL (blast type) will go for ported box.

But if you know how to tune , a ported box will sound nicer then seal box..i heard this from a true ICE sifu but it's VERY hard to do the tuning for ported box.

Correct me if i am wrong....