Query on CTR Intake Manifold

VICIC

May 26, 2005
KL
Dear All Sifus,

I am currently running an B16A with CTR cams & ECU. Thinking of change to a CTR intake manifold (hopefully can get the whole set) sooner or later.

Anyone care to tell what will be the different if I change to CTR IM with my current setup? Coz what I heard it might just improve the respond only.

Please to comment if any.

Tks!

J101

1,000 RPM
Jul 15, 2005
malaysia
since u are maintaining a mild modding setup, the best is to stick with the current intake manifold. the CTR intake helps if you plan to do some port&polish to your head which gives better improvement from your intake. without p&p and with butt dyno, you feel slightly better on the top-end and little drop on the low-end. no harm trying if you wanna spend money and upgrade from there. usually the only improvements you will notice is the psychological feeling of having a bigger intake, especially when it comes to type-r parts :) a bit of "too much" air can be sluggish too without any adjustment to your fueling and etc.

Oderf

1,000 RPM
Jul 27, 2005
KL
www.zerotohundred.com
yep...agree with j101, IM alone wont be significant in power gain. u better drop in a pair of CTR cams n valve spring firts with ported head job before considering installing CTR IM.

VICIC

May 26, 2005
KL
Thanks to j101 & oderf for the comments. I strongly believe that the psychological feeling that will makes us feel the improvement in the first place after the money we spend :) I guess i will put this plan aside first.

Meanwhile, I am actually planning to do a top overhaul soon since my current mileage already exceeded 220000km liow. Plan inclusive of:-
- change to CTR head, c/w valve spring, retainers & etc
- change to CTR 81mm piston
- change to ori CTR headgasket (remain 10.8 compression ratio)
- use back the B16B cams & ECU i m using right now

But still wondering coz my fren told me better not to overhaul the engine if it doesn't have any problem. You guys have any comment on this? Coz i afraid problem will start coming after the overhaul & then end up back to the square (start looking for a B16A & revert to ori...)

Oderf

1,000 RPM
Jul 27, 2005
KL
www.zerotohundred.com
hmm.... i think it is wise not to do top overhaul if u just want to use back all original B16A head and their associated stuff when ur engine still in good running condition, cost is a factor here. but u r planning to put a few CTR stuff it's already a different story u r aiming for a performance upgrade here, the workmanship fees will be justified. many people do this eh.... and i say go ahead...cheers....:shades_smile:

J101

1,000 RPM
Jul 15, 2005
malaysia
vicic,
well when the time comes to overhaul, then you may proceed with your plans. dont forget that putting CTR pistons and having CTR goodies doest not make
your b16a block become b16"b". you can never have a b16b block and power torque by just putting the pistons in. your setup is more like an enhancement
of the b16a engine.

VICIC

May 26, 2005
KL
OK. Thanks to both J101 & Oderf for the opinion. It gives me more confidence to proceed with my plan. Actually one of the reason for my top overhaul is becoz I am still using the stock B16A (auto) valve springs & retainers eventhough with the CTR cams since more than 1 year ago, apparently now i manage to get a B16B head c/w those things, so i decided to do the top overhaul by changing to that B16B head.
While for the piston change, i just think that better do it one shot & i know that the block height is different for B16A & B16B. Just wish to have some modifications & at the same time improve the current performance while maintaining the longevity of the engine. :)

zamrioo2

Known Member
May 2, 2005
waa... u want to mod the ctr head arr...? sayangnyee... if u use the ctr head for the pct piston.. then the head wont be suitable for p30 ever... caused the cr will be lower than 10.4... absloutely the cr will increase n ur torque become better n ur xhaust flow patern in combustion chamber bcome smoother... too many butttt... up to u la bro... as long u happy... haha... gudluck...

Oderf

1,000 RPM
Jul 27, 2005
KL
www.zerotohundred.com
hmmm.... increase CR is surely feelable power gain...u better dyno before n after to overhaul to see the difference, but make sure the dyno session is at the same place, using the same machine coz they might be different a bit from one to another machine....

VICIC

May 26, 2005
KL
udengfahlawi said:
how much did u get the B16B head for?
It's free... hehe. A fren gave it to me but without the red cover & cams.

VICIC

May 26, 2005
KL
zamrioo2 said:
waa... u want to mod the ctr head arr...? sayangnyee... if u use the ctr head for the pct piston.. then the head wont be suitable for p30 ever... caused the cr will be lower than 10.4... absloutely the cr will increase n ur torque become better n ur xhaust flow patern in combustion chamber bcome smoother... too many butttt... up to u la bro... as long u happy... haha... gudluck...
Dear zamrioo2, mind to elaborate more on this? this sound interesting to me but i dun really understand you... sorry! what is pct piston & p30?

VICIC

May 26, 2005
KL
Oderf said:
hmmm.... increase CR is surely feelable power gain...u better dyno before n after to overhaul to see the difference, but make sure the dyno session is at the same place, using the same machine coz they might be different a bit from one to another machine....
OK. I will try to do the dyno before & after if the charges is affordable. :( But normally how much is the charges for dyno?

udengfahlawi

1,000 RPM
Dec 3, 2004
putrajaya
Visit site
VICIC said:
It's free... hehe. A fren gave it to me but without the red cover & cams.
damn...lucky you...how come no fren of mine ever give me anything good free things like that...red cover and cam easier to find than ori b16b head...in case u dont want the head later, can give it to me kah?...heheheh...i pay u a bit ler....

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Motor Trend magazine reported a spokesperson from Subaru in America confirmed that the next generation WRX will return to the 2.0-liter turbocharged boxer engine.

Subaru would be turbocharging the FA20 unit found in the Subaru BRZ with a targeted output of 270bhp.

The FA20 engine, which in naturally aspirated form produces...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience