Honda City-Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) Query

D16power

Known Member
May 27, 2005
KL
Hi guys! Need advice and some point of view here...Wat do u guys think about the CVT use in Honda City? How does it function and what is the pro and con for this kind of transmission compared our normal transmission? :confused: thanks!

minivan

1,500 RPM
Jun 11, 2004
BBBangi/KL
Visit site
CVT 2 cents

How does a CVT function?? this is hard to explain... 2 pulleys and a chain. No gears and cogs with special CVT oil... after than it gets pretty hard to explain.. :D

I drive a City and i must say that at first i felt pretty weird. Theres no gear shift and becoz the ratios are not pre-defined and its like having many-many-many ratios, theres no real feel of 'G' to it. BUT you do see the speedo climb and its no snail i can tell you that. i'm not claiming is super fast, but fast enough.

Its also super-super smooth and theres no kick down. This was also weird at first... when you accelerate real hard, the rpm is at 5000 rpm for example and its stays there like i big slip clutch while the speed builds up.. but in a CVT, this is normal. But those who can't get use to it, will say the car no pick up.... :D

This is where the advantage comes in... you can ALWAYS be in the powerband, so transfer of power is super efficient -----> sufficient/good power AND great economy.... also making climbing up a hill super fun... big cars will be suprised on how you can still stay with them at a hill climb : you just floor it and maintain your rpm a 6000 all the way... ;)

and so far, no prob what so ever with it....

nashrey

Known Member
Apr 14, 2004
minivan, happy with yer cik siti eh :P some guys in the autoworld forum are complaining about the cvt box - asyik faulty aje. any comment on that?

D16power

Known Member
May 27, 2005
KL
thansk for sharing ur experience minivan! but how about any disadvantage of this kinda transmission? i heard fren said on the hi-way if driving at constant hi speed (around 130km/hr), it will be abit noisy..is it true?

minivan

1,500 RPM
Jun 11, 2004
BBBangi/KL
Visit site
hattech-v said:
7 speed for cvt is true aaa?
in theory it actually has hundreds or million of ratios. its 'variable' remember. 7 is just given by honda for 'manual' 7 speed mode. Theres 7 pre-defined "ratios" that is actually tricked out by the ECU, not by virtue of the transmission having 7 gears. Theres no gears and cogs remember...

minivan

1,500 RPM
Jun 11, 2004
BBBangi/KL
Visit site
nashrey said:
minivan, happy with yer cik siti eh :P some guys in the autoworld forum are complaining about the cvt box - asyik faulty aje. any comment on that?
who said the CVT was perfect? Its machenical, something is bound to happen. The world of super technology in F1... cars also go wrong...

The conventional auto tranny also goes wrong, but becoz its been here longer and no longer has that much attention anymore, people forget that many of em also goes wrong what...

minivan

1,500 RPM
Jun 11, 2004
BBBangi/KL
Visit site
D16power said:
thansk for sharing ur experience minivan! but how about any disadvantage of this kinda transmission? i heard fren said on the hi-way if driving at constant hi speed (around 130km/hr), it will be abit noisy..is it true?
noise?!?... as far as the CT is concern... no noise what so ever. My sister's 1.6 satria auto tranny is much, much, much, much, much noisier.... :D

at 130 and above... theres wind noise... no tranny noise...

nashrey

Known Member
Apr 14, 2004
minivan said:
who said the CVT was perfect? Its machenical, something is bound to happen. The world of super technology in F1... cars also go wrong...

The conventional auto tranny also goes wrong, but becoz its been here longer and no longer has that much attention anymore, people forget that many of em also goes wrong what...
hmmm...u got a point there. indeed cvt has been developed long time ago, but its application was restricted to certain cars/models only.

*my car oso uses cvt beb, tapi x de la shift paddle tuu :)

minivan

1,500 RPM
Jun 11, 2004
BBBangi/KL
Visit site
nashrey...

so u have new rims huh?? what rims did u get??
want tyres?? i have 2 azenis st115 at home.. more less 60% thread.. super cheap for you.. :D

murcielago

Known Member
Jan 19, 2005
very well said minivan. i dun have much experience but one time i go test drive jazz idsi. on a straight i want to test the pick up so i press hard(didn't floor it la cos the salesman wif me, n the car is new car need to be deliver to customer), so the rpm stuck at 3500 n the engine sound all the same n i wonder how come gear never change???i look again, the rpm still 3500 n shit how come the gear wouldn't change from 1st to 2nd n so on, then the speed is alreasdy 100km/h. so then only i realize wat is cvt. the gear is continuous.

i think the advantage you can see most cleary when going up genting. damn, new honda city all go up hill with ease while my car is strugling between 1st n 2nd gear.mine is 4speed auto, the gap between gear is so big.if 1st gear i need rev very hard, if 2nd gear rpm is low so now power.

nashrey

Known Member
Apr 14, 2004
minivan said:
nashrey...

so u have new rims huh?? what rims did u get??
want tyres?? i have 2 azenis st115 at home.. more less 60% thread.. super cheap for you.. :D
juz std oem civic 2.0 rims coupled with s/stone kruizer 195/55/15. both in super duper pristine condition :)

thanx 4 the tyres offer bro, nanti kalo ade member yg minat aku inform ko yehh....

D16power

Known Member
May 27, 2005
KL
minivan said:
in theory it actually has hundreds or million of ratios. its 'variable' remember. 7 is just given by honda for 'manual' 7 speed mode. Theres 7 pre-defined "ratios" that is actually tricked out by the ECU, not by virtue of the transmission having 7 gears. Theres no gears and cogs remember...
thanks for the info dude! :)

minivan

1,500 RPM
Jun 11, 2004
BBBangi/KL
Visit site
hattech-v said:
no wonder i loss to new city when going uphill genting... mine 1.6 sohc vtec auto.
its all becoz of the CVT... not becoz of a more powerful engine. Just a more efficient 'transmission' of power to the wheel.. ;)

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

guys, anyone know how to clean cylinder head? to remove all the dark colour that stick to the cylinder head...i know it can remove with an acid but i dunno wat acid...mind to share........
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience