Proton Wira Check Engine Light

arsengal

Aug 3, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Hi all I've returned from workshop, but not the one where I changed my throttle body. He can't check my car that day as he has many cars to deal with. I went there too late I think...so I took the car to one of my friend's workshop and he diagnosed the car and found no problem or any faulty code at all!! He told me the problem might really be the throttle body, or the electronic chip that is controlling it. He suggested that I bring back the car to the mechanic where I changed the TB and have him check the electronic chip and the TB itself. Sighhh
Hmmm, same as what happened to me. There is no problem or faulty code detected. But still my sense is strong saying its the O2 sensor, sigh but if that's the problem, it should appear as a faulty code during the diagnose. Or it can be checked just by looking at it? No right?

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Hmmm, same as what happened to me. There is no problem or faulty code detected. But still my sense is strong saying its the O2 sensor, sigh but if that's the problem, it should appear as a faulty code during the diagnose. Or it can be checked just by looking at it? No right?
If we diagnose it just when the CEL comes out...sure we can know what the problem is..but it would be quite dangerous to drive.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
dammm... been helping our friends here while my car also giving CEL problem.....

since mine was 1.6 xli (A) with MMC ecu..for sure no OBD port... been changing the MAF sensor and still intermittenly popped out.....

would check tps sensor next and probably the distributor as well.....

and perhaps flushing my ATF since 1.6/1.8 proton auto got TCU (transmission control unit as well) :hmmmm:

p/s: mine was stock engine with stock airbox (modded with CAI funnel)..replaced petrol filter and air filter as well

Last edited:

arsengal

Aug 3, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Damn, the thing happened again, twice just in the space of 5 hours. Really need to go to the workshop and get this thing settled once and for all. The car seems very underpower when the thing happens. And the jerking when the RPM hits 2K is just damn annoying. :bawling::mad:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Wiras (especially the 1.3 and 1.5 variants) are very old. 1.6 also. All have crank, MAF/MAP, O2 sensors and these aren't permanant, they will fail with time. Worthwhile replacing these sensors one go after about 8 to 10 years.

Throttlebodies in the VDO are very sensitive too. The TPS and the mechanism inside is very sensitive so if you ever dismantle the TB for cleaning make sure you don't suddenly jerk it or drop it or knock it. Any sort of movement much jolt it out of position and you'll need the PDT diagnosis machine to reset it.

MMC TBs are less sensitive but also wear and tear. I can't remember what its called but it has a TPS or something inside as well which is made of plastic.

But usually loss of power indicates a sensor problem. Check sockets, sensors, the wires, and in my case - the coil was dying so it was intermittent.

The beautiful thing about the Wira is if you choose to change all of these things one go, it's still not going to be overly expensive to do it. On a Campro or something newer, prepare to sell butt to pay for the fixes.

arsengal

Aug 3, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Thanks for the info Izso.

Anyway, I went to my usual Proton SC today, the pomen who fixed my car w the previous same issue did a diagnose again to my Wira. He plugged out the sensor attached to the TB while doing the diagnose and there is a faulty code detected, two actually. One is the TB, the other one is the exhaust sensor, perhaps its the O2 sensor. When he plug back the sensor to the TB, no faulty codes were detected. So then, he checked and checked again, finally he came to a conclusion where he changed my TB to a newer TB, although I just changed my TB few weeks back. Good thing is it came for free since I still have the warranty of the TB. Anyway he said, its still not conclusive whether the problem has been solved and added if the same matter arises again, quickly come to the SC to get it diagnosed. IF the same thing happened again, then the exhaust sensor/O2 sensor will be targeted along with the ECU. Damn I hope the ECU is fine. So for now, I'm just hoping the case is closed.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
ok update for my CEL issues.... (4g92p auto-mmc ecu)

no longer happens....

at first my conclusion would be:

1) MAF sensor faulty (swapped with working sensor no effect)
2) dirty air filter (just changed)
3) faulty TPS sensor (re-adjusted but no effect)
4) clogged petrol filter (changed petrol filter-the old one full of dirty,rusty coloured fuel)
5) clogged gearbox internal sensor (plausible) (changed atf along with other parts above)

what was causing the CEL gone missing for good?

i whack my car accelerate full throttle from 1st,2nd,3rd,4th all the way with O/D off and then cycle with O/D on...then after cooling down and days after that no more CEL coming up......

the real cause is still a mystery..but my stronger conclusion would be the clogged/dirty gb internal sensor...because last time before my latest gb oil (atf) changed, it was past due for about 10k km than the original svc interval (20k km)

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
ok update for my CEL issues.... (4g92p auto-mmc ecu)

no longer happens....

at first my conclusion would be:

1) MAF sensor faulty (swapped with working sensor no effect)
2) dirty air filter (just changed)
3) faulty TPS sensor (re-adjusted but no effect)
4) clogged petrol filter (changed petrol filter-the old one full of dirty,rusty coloured fuel)
5) clogged gearbox internal sensor (plausible) (changed atf along with other parts above)

what was causing the CEL gone missing for good?

i whack my car accelerate full throttle from 1st,2nd,3rd,4th all the way with O/D off and then cycle with O/D on...then after cooling down and days after that no more CEL coming up......

the real cause is still a mystery..but my stronger conclusion would be the clogged/dirty gb internal sensor...because last time before my latest gb oil (atf) changed, it was past due for about 10k km than the original svc interval (20k km)
Nola. Your car merajuk you never take her for a hard and fast ride. Now that you have she's satisfied mah. :rofl:

And I suspect it's probably carbon blockage on one of the sensors which cleared up after you gave it to her hard and horny. I mean hard and fast.

:biggrin:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
i'm thinking the same also......

she merajuk because always drive slow n steady stuck in traffic and get bored to death.....

perhaps also shows that regular servicing should NOT be extended so long.... :biggrin:

so next time up would replace atf filter as well....

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Well..mine just lighted up its check light today when my sis was driving it. Luckily she's already at car park. Couldn't get what's the prob so far...Ada hantu ka? >.<

arsengal

Aug 3, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Damn CEL light comes up again, for sure its not the TB problem now. I had it changed twice already. This time, it happens, idle RPM drops down to half of 1k or less. Then I pressed on the throttle a bit, went up to 2k then the RPM went very low and then engine went off. Turned off the car, take out the keys and then start it up again, only then it went back to normal, but CEL light is still there. Argh please not the ECU which is giving problem. Guys any recommended SC that I should go around Klang Valley to get my car checked? Want to try to change instead of keep going to Proton SC, yet problem ain't being solved.

And I notice, before the thing happens, my idle RPM keeps fluctuating a bit then went back to normal repeatedly w/o me stepping on the gas. Hmm

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Damn CEL light comes up again, for sure its not the TB problem now. I had it changed twice already. This time, it happens, idle RPM drops down to half of 1k or less. Then I pressed on the throttle a bit, went up to 2k then the RPM went very low and then engine went off. Turned off the car, take out the keys and then start it up again, only then it went back to normal, but CEL light is still there. Argh please not the ECU which is giving problem. Guys any recommended SC that I should go around Klang Valley to get my car checked? Want to try to change instead of keep going to Proton SC, yet problem ain't being solved.

And I notice, before the thing happens, my idle RPM keeps fluctuating a bit then went back to normal repeatedly w/o me stepping on the gas. Hmm
I recommend giving maddriver a call. Not sure what his ID is in ZTH but on LY he's known as maddriver. Otherwise try Mitch Chong (PM for contact).

But from the looks of it, it's definitely one of your sensors. I have a spare cam position sensor (I think that's what it's called) cuz I had erratic idling at one of point of time and tried changing that after TB swap and all like you. Didn't work but if you do resort to this sensor let me know.

O2 sensor shouldn't suddenly work and fail off-and-on like that. I've only ever seen it work or not. Isn't too expensive to change.

And if it really is your ECU, suggest to consider aftermarket or halfcut. Ori Proton prices for the ECU is way too high

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Almost 4got. My car with the CEL prob...the light came out when my sis started the car. My dad Unplugged the sensor attached to the TB (should be an air flow sensor?) and blew it. Then he reattached it and the light was gone. It's been more than a month and nothing happened. Hope nothing will happen. Might it be loose connections,etc?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Dear Friends,

Need advise, can we swap 4G92 meter box with proton 1.8/1.6 meter box??
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience