Porsche’s latest 911 GT3 arrives Malaysia – 500hp 9000rpm 4L NA

s.marz

Known Member
Aug 10, 2016
Kuala Lumpur
Re: Porsche’s latest 911 GT3 arrives Malaysia – 500hp 9000rpm 4lL NA

Oh boy, how long is it gonna be showcased there? I might drop by BSC later today.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL

So this vs the also newly released AMG GTR, which one is better?
I think the AMG is more expensive.

But given the choice I'd do the Merc anyday. The unfortunate thing is the Porsche looks like a lot of Porsches of old and only the eagle eyed purist would be able to spot the differences. I'm not a purist or a love of Porsches but I do like them. Just not as much as that Mercs looks! Damn! Gimme neon green AMG GTR anyday!

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh

Not quite, the AMG GTR is actually giving the Porsche a run for its money. A lot of reviewers are already very impressed with this car to the point that they are praising the AMG GTR for its ability to match the GT3 performance.

Is the GT3 better? Could be but not by a very large margin. :driver:
Looks like AMG did a good track car this time because most of the time, AMG models are regarded as the muscle car from Germany as they posses brutality in straight road and top speed but not very well done in corners.

If given a choice between the 2, I'll still opt for GT3 because of its manual gearbox. The presence of a traditional manual gear stick and clutch pedal can bring a lot of fun in driving.

s.marz

Known Member
Aug 10, 2016
Kuala Lumpur

Looks like AMG did a good track car this time because most of the time, AMG models are regarded as the muscle car from Germany as they posses brutality in straight road and top speed but not very well done in corners.

If given a choice between the 2, I'll still opt for GT3 because of its manual gearbox. The presence of a traditional manual gear stick and clutch pedal can bring a lot of fun in driving.
Yes they are getting better and better, the W205 AMG for instance, comes very close to its main rival the F80 M3 in terms of dynamic, something that's unheard of for a long time. Many even complaint bout the M3 being no better than the E92 M3 (handling wise).

You are absolutely right, the absence of manual trans is the abit of a let down for purist but then again these are track monsters and when milliseconds matter, I think the a DCT would be the ideal option.

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur

Well, I guess it is for someone like you who is a heel toe technique connoisseur, Tom.
You know what, as much as I love the stick, I think it's going to be pretty hard to choose the manual box and then sign the dotted line when I get there. I can imagine it'll be quite a huge decision.

I'll need more time with the manual to know for sure

So this vs the also newly released AMG GTR, which one is better?
I have only rode shotgun in the GTR last afternoon and I haven't experienced the GT3 yet, so I really can't say.

But:

The GTR is Mercedes Benz's best GT car
The GT3 is one step below the RS

The GTR looks like a supercar
The GT3 looks like a 911

The GTR is bad ass
The GT3 is purer driver's car

All in all, I think for one, the GTR offers better value for money with it's kick ass supercar-esque body , gangster V8 TT, and just overall aura. the GT3 is still a highly respected car, with plenty of heritage et etc. Performance wise, they would be pretty close, with each offering different moods

I think most would lean towards the GTR

Not quite, the AMG GTR is actually giving the Porsche a run for its money. A lot of reviewers are already very impressed with this car to the point that they are praising the AMG GTR for its ability to match the GT3 performance.

Is the GT3 better? Could be but not by a very large margin. :driver:
yeah, i was very surprised how much more grip the GT had after being chauffeured by Peter Hackett, an AMG GT3 racecar driver last afternoon.

This video demonstrates how close the GTR is to the GTR, which is a compliment to the new GTR because the old GTR is still one of the greatest benchmark cars. Although in the end, he picked the old GTR, but it says a lot about the new GTR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXGejLaLzzI

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur

Oh boy, how long is it gonna be showcased there? I might drop by BSC later today.
It'll be there will sunday night, do enjoy

But given the choice I'd do the Merc anyday. The unfortunate thing is the Porsche looks like a lot of Porsches of old and only the eagle eyed purist would be able to spot the differences. I'm not a purist or a love of Porsches but I do like them. Just not as much as that Mercs looks! Damn! Gimme neon green AMG GTR anyday!
It's announced at the same 1.7mil, options will make all the difference,

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

Well, it is a 911 and they will still look like a 911......:biggrin:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh

Yes they are getting better and better, the W205 AMG for instance, comes very close to its main rival the F80 M3 in terms of dynamic, something that's unheard of for a long time. Many even complaint bout the M3 being no better than the E92 M3 (handling wise).

You are absolutely right, the absence of manual trans is the abit of a let down for purist but then again these are track monsters and when milliseconds matter, I think the a DCT would be the ideal option.
In recent years, AMG seemed to be making lots of improvements and pushing out a lot of new models. Leaning more towards track performance unlike before where they are mostly brutal high speed cruisers.

I think it is unlikely to see AMG offering manual transmission anymore. Mercedes are always embracing newer tech instead of holding on to traditional values unlike Porsche. Different approach in making cars. Some manufacturer always tries to go ahead with new tech while some will try to preserve their identity while applying innovative features to it.

You know what, as much as I love the stick, I think it's going to be pretty hard to choose the manual box and then sign the dotted line when I get there. I can imagine it'll be quite a huge decision.

I'll need more time with the manual to know for sure
Sounds like you are having some doubts with the manual box. Why? Is it because the PDK feels that good until manual feels not relevant anymore in this machine?

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur

Sounds like you are having some doubts with the manual box. Why? Is it because the PDK feels that good until manual feels not relevant anymore in this machine?
well in a way, It is a choice between lap times and driving enjoyment.
Say the GT3, I know for sure with the manual box, it will be the sweetest thing to drive
But I also know, that ticking the manual box instead of PDK will mean I will lose out on be able to extract 100% from the GT3. Simply because the PDK/DCT or even some of today's automatics have become so good, it's hard to find fault in them.

So I'll need to ask myself, do I want to sacrifice that major driving enjoyment factor for 3 pedals?

Now, if we go one step below and talk about hot hatches or anything under 350hp, then I don't think it really matters, manual all the way. I say 350hp because even the AMG 45, if there was ever a manual option, It's going to be pretty hard to want a manual version with the amount of performance it possesses.

I still like my manual alot, but these days it's getting more generation or car specific. Such as the Type-R of all generations for example or the pre 991 era Porsches maybe, H gate Ferraris and such.

I read Toyota will be releasing a hybrid box where it's like DCT but has 3 pedals where the clutch is electric and can mimic the clutch pedal and has slots in the gear console to allow 6 speed shifts. that will be pretty cool. I was wondering if that was possible some time ago but looks like Toyota's gonna try that out.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

Yup, with technology advancement anything can possible, so the day of MT can be numbered. Look at cam less engine tech, thought it was not possible those days....:driver:

g4i8y0t

1,000 RPM
Aug 5, 2010
Kedah

Modern tech is helpful and convenient, no doubt. However, they lack 'soul' and involvement, which we, humans need, to feel fulfilled and content. Autonomous driving, touch screen instead of physical buttons and knobs, DCTs, CVTs, all of these :thefinger:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL

in a way i agree with Tom. The PDK is really a good piece of equipment. Hell, even on the Tsukuba (I think) track, the automatic CVT version of the HONDA CRZ was faster on track than the manual CRZ. I guess it depends on what it is you want.

Engagement, I'd say the manual. Fast as hell and plenty of control - the PDK probably would do a better job.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

in a way i agree with Tom. The PDK is really a good piece of equipment. Hell, even on the Tsukuba (I think) track, the automatic CVT version of the HONDA CRZ was faster on track than the manual CRZ. I guess it depends on what it is you want.

Engagement, I'd say the manual. Fast as hell and plenty of control - the PDK probably would do a better job.
CVT would have be even greater if they were in F1.....lol
https://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2007/05/03/banned-continuously-variable-transmission-cvt/

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh

well in a way, It is a choice between lap times and driving enjoyment.
Say the GT3, I know for sure with the manual box, it will be the sweetest thing to drive
But I also know, that ticking the manual box instead of PDK will mean I will lose out on be able to extract 100% from the GT3. Simply because the PDK/DCT or even some of today's automatics have become so good, it's hard to find fault in them.

So I'll need to ask myself, do I want to sacrifice that major driving enjoyment factor for 3 pedals?

Now, if we go one step below and talk about hot hatches or anything under 350hp, then I don't think it really matters, manual all the way. I say 350hp because even the AMG 45, if there was ever a manual option, It's going to be pretty hard to want a manual version with the amount of performance it possesses.

I still like my manual alot, but these days it's getting more generation or car specific. Such as the Type-R of all generations for example or the pre 991 era Porsches maybe, H gate Ferraris and such.

I read Toyota will be releasing a hybrid box where it's like DCT but has 3 pedals where the clutch is electric and can mimic the clutch pedal and has slots in the gear console to allow 6 speed shifts. that will be pretty cool. I was wondering if that was possible some time ago but looks like Toyota's gonna try that out.
Is it true that by opting for the manual box, the potential for extracting the maximum performance from the car will be slightly reduced. But then again, perhaps we should ask ourselves this question. Are we using the car as a full time track car and are we really aiming to get the best lap time/performance out of the car all the time?

If it is not a car that you purchase solely for track and maximum performance, choosing the manual box for driving enjoyment is worth it, I think. You have more interaction and engagement with the car. The performance difference is not very big either but the enjoyment of shifting gears with a gear stick, balancing the clutch, rev matching and executing heel toe is wonderful experience that cannot be replicated with paddle shifters. Perhaps in future, the manual variant will even hold more value due to its rarity.

I've heard about the 86 based Toyota concept car that you mentioned. If cars like that is released, I hope the electric clutch will still have the weight feeling of an ordinary clutch. If it is too light, it might feel weird?

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur

\

Now that is interesting CVT quicker than the Manual , is there a video on this? I'll try to look it up too

Just glanced through the article, I never knew Williams once developed the CVT, and like the article says the sound must have been like something from outer space

Modern tech is helpful and convenient, no doubt. However, they lack 'soul' and involvement, which we, humans need, to feel fulfilled and content. Autonomous driving, touch screen instead of physical buttons and knobs, DCTs, CVTs, all of these :thefinger:
Is it true that by opting for the manual box, the potential for extracting the maximum performance from the car will be slightly reduced. But then again, perhaps we should ask ourselves this question. Are we using the car as a full time track car and are we really aiming to get the best lap time/performance out of the car all the time?

If it is not a car that you purchase solely for track and maximum performance, choosing the manual box for driving enjoyment is worth it, I think. You have more interaction and engagement with the car. The performance difference is not very big either but the enjoyment of shifting gears with a gear stick, balancing the clutch, rev matching and executing heel toe is wonderful experience that cannot be replicated with paddle shifters. Perhaps in future, the manual variant will even hold more value due to its rarity.

I've heard about the 86 based Toyota concept car that you mentioned. If cars like that is released, I hope the electric clutch will still have the weight feeling of an ordinary clutch. If it is too light, it might feel weird?
Totally agreed

What I'm trying to say is, the graph for manual box enjoyment sort of tapers off and remain constant as the car gets faster. For example, nothing can replace a 6 speed manual when driving the S2K, FD2R even the MINI cooper S from 0 up to a 100 percent. But in say the GT3 or anything faster however, they have PDK or DCTs that are so good, it provides a different kind of enjoyment that can only be had with the said transmissions.

I guess it's a different form of enjoyment, not one that can replace or is better, just different tools to operate different machines

But I am still leaning on the manual, just not exactly sure since I have yet to spend time with one for more than 48 hours :)

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I'm having a problem with my car interior wiring such as the door indicator is not working and also the fuel indicator is not functioning.Anyone know where to find a good wireman in subang jaya?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience