Optimum Polish II Product Separation

eohl79

Known Member
Jun 12, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
I was trying to do address some watermarks on my car paint work this morning. Finished cleaning my car and noticed some dark colored watermarks on my car rooftop. First took out my Optimum poli-seal to see if I could rub it out with a sponge applicator. The dark spots were easily removed but watermark etching was still visible. So decided to go grab my Optimum Polish II dispenser bottle.

Figure 1: My dispenser bottle containing Optimum Polish II

Always before product usage and dispensing, I would always give the bottle a good shake to ensure the product contents are properly mixed. However shaking the bottle felt a little weird this time as the product seems to be slushing around in one big clump...

Figure 2: Side view of the bottle looks kind of weird

Upon opening of the dispenser bottle cover... I saw product clumping together like coagulated yoghurt - solid and liquid product separation... damn!

Figure 3: Product clumping and liquid separation!

Figure 4: Product clumps...

Shaking the dispenser bottle vigorously does not restore the Optimum Polish II back to order. Seems it is gone... luckily I always dispense a small 100ml amount into the dispenser bottle every time and use it till it has finished - small time user and DIY for my own cars only... pheW! Went back and checked the main product bottle and everything is still in good order.

So what went wrong??! :confused: Ohhh... just remembered the time I was experimenting with headlight correction and left the bottle out in the heat and sun for a couple of minutes before taking it back in. :stoned: Didn't know the polish could be damaged so easily. Okay, lesson learn don't leave your detailing products in the sun/heat - polishes/ compounds, etc. Keep it in a cool and dry place! Put a small amount in dispenser bottle in case something screws up.

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
Sorry to hear about it. Previous version of optimum polishes are notorious for doing that. I thought they had resolved that issue with their new polishes.

Previously, I threw away 1/2 bottle of Poliseal and 3/4 bottle of Polish due to separation after only had it with me for around 8 months. Stored them in a polystyrene cooler box together with my other waxes and sealants inside the house for extra precautions but it still do that. Coincidently, I just used the Compound II, Polish II & Finish Polish today in their original bottle. Still fine and no issues.....so far.

Regards.

Last edited:

eohl79

Known Member
Jun 12, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Bro KrisMas, I still do hear a couple of people having issues with the clumping from other forums. The other problem is the bottle safety seal rupturing which may cause product to spill out. My compound/polish/poli-seal all comes with the new formula sticker though...

1/9 parts down the drain. Loving this polish though as minimal dusting and with LC white pad able to remove most swirls on my car. Until I finish my bottle... Might try the hyper compound/polish line in the future.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
eohl79..

Where did you get those optimum products from? Because personally, I have been longing to try out their cream products and compare it against the new spray type hyper polish and compound.

eohl79

Known Member
Jun 12, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
eohl79..

Where did you get those optimum products from? Because personally, I have been longing to try out their cream products and compare it against the new spray type hyper polish and compound.
Autogeek. Well can ask bro seech as he did a review on the products before...

fishbonezken

Feb 13, 2006
Products stored in the the dispenser bottles are more prone to separation than in their original bottles. My old optimum polish, osren perfect cut 2.0, Meguiar's #83 DACP all separated while in their dispenser but were still fine in the original bottle (Opt polish slowly seperated in the original bottle). Menzerna 106FF turns dry into a very thick paste instead of separating. I think the cap on the dispenser bottles aren't air tight, and somehow this causes the polishes to seperate (humidity/moisture seeping in?). If seldom use the polishes in the dispenser...you can put a piece of plastic in between the bottle and the screw-in top, and also between the top and cap.

kc2

1,000 RPM
Dec 2, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
thedetailers.blogspot.com
shelf-ing Life - everything has life spent (even store petrol loses it combustion power)

Climate issue - the heat

Re bottling - product stability

many other factor but these are the main ones, I have got many gallons of Megs separated
such as M09 - lasted less than 9 months, M83, Megs step 2 polish, Megs gold class

this has taught me to be of a good steward

even some of the older OPT polish, poliseal has that issue too, that the reason OHP & OHC was make. the polish you got is at least half a decade old, since it is make.

it is just sick, sometimes when you open up yr fridge & start clearing it ...ended up you have to throw alot of unconsumed but expired food..... In fact I was just doing so just...

Use up what you buy & buy what you only need....

eohl79

Known Member
Jun 12, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
shelf-ing Life - everything has life spent (even store petrol loses it combustion power)

Climate issue - the heat

Re bottling - product stability

many other factor but these are the main ones, I have got many gallons of Megs separated
such as M09 - lasted less than 9 months, M83, Megs step 2 polish, Megs gold class

this has taught me to be of a good steward

even some of the older OPT polish, poliseal has that issue too, that the reason OHP & OHC was make. the polish you got is at least half a decade old, since it is make.

it is just sick, sometimes when you open up yr fridge & start clearing it ...ended up you have to throw alot of unconsumed but expired food..... In fact I was just doing so just...

Use up what you buy & buy what you only need....
KC, how long can hyper compound/polish last? No issues with it right? Product separation, etc?

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
IMO, I think OHC and OHP will have a longer shelflife. Everytime before I use, I see separation of the abrasives from the lubricant. There's like 2 layers. But it's fine everytime I shake it. Hence the strong warning of shake well before use on this product.

IMO, this product is made not to resist separation. But to actually accept separation, and overcome it. Having said that, I'm still longing to try the older generation cream type products some day!

kc2

1,000 RPM
Dec 2, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
KC, how long can hyper compound/polish last? No issues with it right? Product separation, etc?
all the impossible happens in Malaysia ...due to our climatic issue
perhaps 3 years

the older paste are AD...abrasive Diminished ....paste - after product breaks down - dried, powerish if over work

Newer are SMAT - small Micro abrasive Technology - Aluminum Oxide (better working time)
dust is so fine & hazardous to health (Personal precautions: Ensure adequate ventilation. Avoid contact with skin and eyes)

but when it comes our climate & working at open air shaded place - it dries up quick & get cake easily...very hard to remove esp when it is over work

check out why I cross over
http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/car-detailing-forums/355293-1st-opticoat-porsche-by-detailien.html

Optimum Hyper spray Compound + Optimum Hyper Spray polish are make out of these 2 combination AD + SMAT = superb working time & dust free

with just 2 steps cut & polish finish = saves time & phenomenal results

Veloc

Sure ...I send u some to try, u r fortunate - cos u dont need to waste money ended up buying a lot of non sense like us ...hahahhahahah

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
Bro eohl79, just want to confirm, yours are the new and latest Polish II or the older gen polish?

I'm with Ken, I'll put a plastic over the dispenser bottle opening before screwing the head down when storing, even on the original bottle.

Also a good idea from Ken to get in touch with Doc G. I'd also like to know the proper way of storing the Opt polishes. I have an almost 4 years old Menzerna in it's original bottle and it's still as good as new.

Btw Veloc, if you want I can let go 250ml each of my Optimum Compound II, Polish II & Final Finish. I don't think I have much use of them.

Last edited:

dro

Known Member
Jan 28, 2006
For those who don't polish often (ie like twice a year etc)
What would be a recommended product?
I've been facing the same issue on other products as well.

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
Mind telling us what issues and which products? Cuz some times, it's not the product but it's how you store them. Like bro eohl79 here had his exposed to the sun so it might just be because of that.

kc2

1,000 RPM
Dec 2, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
For those who don't polish often (ie like twice a year etc)
What would be a recommended product?
I've been facing the same issue on other products as well.
inviting you to come to my clinic to try out OHP & OHC and some latest stuff from Doc G

dro

Known Member
Jan 28, 2006
Had a few wax and polish in paste form
Over time, it dried up.

Its just that I don't polish that often
And most of these polish and waxes come in tubs
Which i rarely finish before it dries up :(

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

to all sifu .. I am a new person here. I would like to ask about the car wiring.

- Can use the full set mitsubishi evo 5 wiring installed at mitsubishi evo 4?
- do i need to change the part?

I want to ask if I use the ecu evo 5 or 6 on the evo 4 ... I need to make the wiring from ecu pin 79 to where?
- To obd2 plug pin nombor how?
- Or where?

really need your help all
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience